Author Topic: Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it  (Read 12776 times)

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it
« Reply #160 on: November 7, 2009, 03:29:13 am »
We went 11 league games without winning during the 2002/3 season and we got knocked out of FA Cup at home by Crystal Palace. In hindsight I think we gave Houllier a year too long. Winning the Worthington Cup was his saving grace that season.

A year too long? no, he had earned the right for another year. His work with the team for years was very good and revived the club.

He left at the right time, then we were in need of a change in approach. 4th place was about right with the value of the team and investment and considering our situation with our rivals. Henry alone was worth almost our whole team, Chelsea 200 m investments in players and Utd still miles ahead of us it was clear it would take another few years for real change and that was too much.

I am glad we never let him go middle of the season, that's just not the right way.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
Re: Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it
« Reply #161 on: November 7, 2009, 03:00:35 pm »
I think I probably titled this thread wrong twice and may not have explained the initial premise too well either, the issue for me Shanklyboy isn't whether we let Houllier go at the right time or wrong time, this thread has very little to do with Houllier in reality but I suppose what I was getting at is that the grass isn't always greener and whether had Houllier been given more time would we have continued on the decline or could he have pulled it around? If he hadn't lost the fans and players then I think he would have, at least enough to provide a few more trophies and may be even get us challenging for the big honours again. And it's that faith from the fans and players that I'm calling on to hold stronger this time around, especially given the entirely different nature of Rafa's football to Houllier's. That's not even factoring the who would even want the job with the two american c*nts here.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts