Author Topic: Lack of width (Is Riera doing his job as a 'winger')?  (Read 10221 times)

Offline Mr.Red

• meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh......meh
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lack of width (Is Riera doing his job as a 'winger')?
« Reply #120 on: July 6, 2009, 08:03:38 am »
So he is good enough for the European Champions Spain, but not good enough for Liverpool? I like that!

Sorry James but I don't think you like the fact that Riera didn't play any part in Spain's Euro campaign.

Seriously? You do remember Kewell's time here don't you?

Of course pal and I liked Kewell more than Giggs.

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: July 6, 2009, 08:13:59 am »
No mate,Riera is NOT good enough to be a regular (if not to be a LFC player).

I know deep down Rafa's chasing Silva and I'm not surprised at all.

BTW I'd swap him with Harry Kewell in a fucking heartbeat.

I disagree that he isn't good enough to be a LFC player. Strongly. I think he had a solid first season overall.

I accept that he hasn't been brilliant consistantly, but love the balance he gives the team. The last time I can recall natural balance from the left was when we beat Marsaille 4-0 and Kewell was immense, set up a couple and scored, but those occasions were too far apart for me. Riera gives that balance when playing well or not.

Offline lincolnred-dad

• ok i'm an arse. a big fat arse.
  • Kopite
  • It's my bloody fence and I'm sitting on it!
« Reply #122 on: July 6, 2009, 08:36:00 am »
i think riera had a good 'settling in' season last year. nothing special, but nothing terrible either.
it's never easy to judge a player after their first year in a new league, and it normally takes a year or two for them to settle.

just look at other players who took time to settle into the league but have moved on to be impressive in the league. vidic didn't have a great start to him prem career but is now regarded as one of the best defendeers in the prem, Kuyt didn't start well with many writing him off, but he has just had arguably his best season. and many will forget that even the great sissy boy took 3 years to really set the prem alight (and then 2 to piss everyone off and fuck off)
If Tevez signs I will be the first man in history to run from Sydney to Melbourne in complete and utter nudity  :D

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #123 on: July 6, 2009, 09:57:21 am »
I disagree that he isn't good enough to be a LFC player. Strongly. I think he had a solid first season overall.

I accept that he hasn't been brilliant consistantly, but love the balance he gives the team. The last time I can recall natural balance from the left was when we beat Marsaille 4-0 and Kewell was immense, set up a couple and scored, but those occasions were too far apart for me. Riera gives that balance when playing well or not.

Exactly. The amount of shite people pile on Riera is unbelievable. His form was clearly affected by fatigue in the second half of the season. Look at his recent matches for Spain - he looks fresh and unjaded. Had four or more assists and a handful of shots on goal in the confed cup IIRC.

He's the best (and only!) left winger we have who is left footed. His ball control is massively important too - when the ball goes out to Albert and we're back defending a corner, he has this knack of holding the ball without losing possesion and allowing Gerrard/Torres to start the counter whilst he lays it off to Xabi and joins in the attack.

Technically he's right up there in terms of skill level. With another left winger to rotate and keep Albert fresh or give him some competition, I reckon we'll see a huge improvement in his consistency.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2009, 09:58:53 am by Uhoh AureliOs »

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: July 6, 2009, 10:04:53 am »
So you don't think Riera has had a good season?

Or just that you still feel it is an area that needs strengthing?

I'm more than happy with Albert, and so would any team be.
I think we can now all see why Rafa was keen on getting Malouda first of all, he really has found himself again, but Riera is a tremendously gifted player and works hard to get the ball back.  Great signing.

Offline RedGirlSuzie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only hero we need!
« Reply #125 on: July 6, 2009, 10:11:48 am »
Riera has had a good first season with us IMO. He was thrown straight into the squad after only joining days earlier, so from that first point of view, he has done well.

You also have to look at the amount of games he played. The previous season at Espanyol he played a total of 44 games, for just his club and 1 international, alot of those games were in the UEFA cup when they got to the final. La Liga is a much slower pace as we all know, but I'm pretty sure he was knackered after that season.

Now look at his first season with us, he played 40 games, but they included big european games and fast paced, tough games in the prem. He also broke into the national squad again and had to play in world cup qualifying games, including travelling to Turkey for one.

Now I know it sounds like a poor arguement, but the guy was thrown into the team without anytime to settle in, it was a new league that's alot more physical and faster than the one he was used to, he also had to go away on international duty, time which he probably used to use to relax and recharge his batteries.

I'm sure after his experiences this year, he will come back better and stronger next season, knowing exactly what he has to do to play at the top.

Besides, I love him, so leave him alone!!!  ;D
On awaiting Everton's arrival for a derby game at Anfield, Shankly gave a box of toilet rolls to the doorman and said: 'Give them these when they arrive – they'll need them!'

What a legend this man is!

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #126 on: July 6, 2009, 10:14:45 am »
Besides, I love him, so leave him alone!!!  ;D

So you're a chin girl, eh?
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: July 6, 2009, 10:15:44 am »
Some people absolutely baffle me.... Kewell over Riera. FFS. Grow a reality bone
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #128 on: July 6, 2009, 10:16:50 am »
I like Riera, a lot. He gives his all for the cause. He faded from an excellent start, but that's because he suddenly was in every week, and we didn't have the depth to replace/rest him. I remember him being out and rested and thinking that we needed him on the pitch but he was absolutely shattered.

I'd be looking at cover for Torres now as a priority instead of a new left winger.

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #129 on: July 6, 2009, 10:21:03 am »
Some people absolutely baffle me.... Kewell over Riera. FFS. Grow a reality bone

Absence makes the heart grow dumber.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline RedGirlSuzie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only hero we need!
« Reply #130 on: July 6, 2009, 10:24:38 am »
So you're a chin girl, eh?

Not normally, but Albert's the exception  ;)
On awaiting Everton's arrival for a derby game at Anfield, Shankly gave a box of toilet rolls to the doorman and said: 'Give them these when they arrive – they'll need them!'

What a legend this man is!

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• custom title thread lurker - easily amused
  • Legacy Fan
  • through the wind and rain (and fog)
« Reply #131 on: July 6, 2009, 11:08:43 am »
I thought Albert played consistently pretty well. Some very good games, some average ones, but what do you expect? We didn't bring him in to be a world-class winger, we just wanted him to do a job on the left side and he did it well. Better than I expected in any case.

He's now also forced his way into the Spanish first team reckoning, which means someone has to rate him highly. Give him a break, he can do a good job for us in this title challenge, I'm sure.

Offline dgoh

• Kopite
  • Son. Brother. Student. RAWKite
« Reply #132 on: July 6, 2009, 11:56:10 am »
I thought Albert played consistently pretty well. Some very good games, some average ones, but what do you expect? We didn't bring him in to be a world-class winger, we just wanted him to do a job on the left side and he did it well. Better than I expected in any case.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: July 6, 2009, 12:20:17 pm »
He's done okay so far. Let's see how he does after a full pre-season this summer (clearly his fitness was an issue last year and he arrived very late last summer) and see what his performances are like now he has had a full season of English football and got used to our team and Rafa's tactics.

Offline Jägarn99

• Main Stander
« Reply #134 on: July 6, 2009, 12:25:42 pm »

He's now also forced his way into the Spanish first team reckoning, which means someone has to rate him highly. Give him a break, he can do a good job for us in this title challenge, I'm sure.

I will sign that. I good player that give us something we have been missing out the last couple of years, a competent leftwinger. Did anyone remember when Zeden play there? Terrible to play him there and just not good enough, allot of them didn't bother of our left-handside. 

Offline tHe^CuLpRit

• Legacy Fan
  • just another Malaysian Red
« Reply #135 on: July 7, 2009, 08:56:18 pm »
Giggity goo!!
As Shankly once said form is temporary, being shite is permanent.

Offline Fine Shagger, Danny Agger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: July 7, 2009, 09:04:37 pm »
On good days, pretty amazing on the pitch - great control, good assists, the odd goal once in a while. On bad days, he's pretty okay. I'd take that. Especially for a winger we bought midway through the season and had to cope with a new league immediately.
If you can see Martin Skrtel, he can see you.  If you can't see Martin Skrtel, you may be moments away from certain death.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: July 7, 2009, 09:41:46 pm »
Glad to see someone bring this topic back as if you review the posts you see a common feeling during the season that Riera & our left midfield in general required strengthening during the summer. Of course he was only purchased once the Barry deal fell through so in some ways has an excuse he missed preseason with us (I am sure he still did have one at Espanyol) but in the words of the great man himself 

"“He’s the kind of player we have been talking about,” Benítez said. “He can beat players and get good deliveries into the area for our strikers. We’ve known about him for a long time, since he was at Mallorca and then through his career at Bordeaux, Manchester City and Espanyol. He can speak English and he knows the Premier League, which is a big bonus. Usually, foreign players need time when they go to a new country, but Riera already knows the style of football.”

I clearly think Riera is a very capable squad player and as his two seasons in the English league has proven...he is just that, a squad player. Now when we do bring in a #1 left sided target we may see the best of Albert as instead of relying on him game in game out we can instead look forward to him coming off the bench and starting now & then when the opposition calls for him.   
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I