Author Topic: Segura Joins Liverpool as new Academy technical manager  (Read 14976 times)

Offline Stanfo

• Sleeping with the Enemy
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Segura Joins Liverpool as new Academy technical manager
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2009, 10:09:32 pm »
I think the hour rule has been "moved" as we have lads from Welshpool, the other side of Stoke and as far north as Penrith, all far more than an hour if you are driving legally.

During matches the coaches used to keep quiet and let the boys do there own thing, however McParland went mad when he watched us get beat by Everton a few weeks ago and since then the coaches have been far more loud.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2009, 10:28:29 pm »
Sounds like good news!

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2009, 10:32:28 pm »
I think the hour rule has been "moved" as we have lads from Welshpool, the other side of Stoke and as far north as Penrith, all far more than an hour if you are driving legally.

During matches the coaches used to keep quiet and let the boys do there own thing, however McParland went mad when he watched us get beat by Everton a few weeks ago and since then the coaches have been far more loud.

I have always been vocal as a coach but never aggressive or belittling. I have seen many, many junior coaches screaming at their players.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Cloggs

• Legacy Fan
  • TAFKAAS
« Reply #83 on: June 1, 2009, 08:47:53 am »
Liverpool have appointed Jose Segura as Academy technical manager, with the 48-year-old taking up his new position on June 1st.
He will report to Academy director Frank McParland and will bring huge experience to the role, having worked at FC Barcelona for both their youth system and Barca B team.

During his time with the Catalan giants, he helped develop players of the calibre of Andres Iniesta, Victor Valdes, Gerard Pique, Bojan Krkic, Cesc Fabregas and Mikel Arteta.

He later enjoyed great success in Greece. Firstly with AEK Athens and then as assistant coach at Olympiacos before succeeding Takis Lemonis as manager and leading them to a Greek league and cup double in 2008.

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez commented: "There's a lot to do at the Academy, but we've worked hard to bring in the best people and Jose is a great appointment.

"He's worked with some of the top young talent in Spain and knows the challenges faced in bringing through players to the first team set-up. He's also got experience at the top after his success with Olympiacos and I'm delighted that he's agreed to join us."

liverpoolfc.tv

The one thing that worries me about this is that he "helped" to bring up players like Krkic. I'd have preferred to have the guy who "was responsible" for it.

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: June 1, 2009, 09:07:41 am »
I have always been vocal as a coach but never aggressive or belittling. I have seen many, many junior coaches screaming at their players.
Sadly so have I and I don't think it'll change.  I guess it works on the same principle as the basic training for the army though; what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (go and check the suicide rates for soldiers between 16 and 21 and compare that to the national average, it's very shocking - or at least it was when I used to work in medical statistics).

I'm just starting out as a coach but, as someone who saw both sides of coaching, I will certainly be vocal but I will never, ever put anyone down or complain at any of the players I work with.  And I won't stand for it from the parents either.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #85 on: June 1, 2009, 10:16:44 am »
The one thing that worries me about this is that he "helped" to bring up players like Krkic. I'd have preferred to have the guy who "was responsible" for it.

Aim for the sky, hit the roof ...

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 1, 2009, 10:29:56 am »

Some players need it, especially true of some kids these days who think they're too good to give a shit.  It's a british thing though, players have the mindset that they got noticed on their own so they will succeed on their own.  In Spain there seems to be far more of a team focus from a young age, especially at Barca where the same system is drilled into them from day one.  If the team doesn't succeed then YOU probably wont succeed.

Offline bullfrog

• Main Stander
  • smashing it in
« Reply #87 on: June 1, 2009, 11:02:57 am »
agreed. its something that i needed as a nipper to get me fired up and get the best out of me. wasnt the same with some of the other lads admittedly who just needed a quiet word here and there but it worked well with the more aggressive of us.

anyway i'd be interested to hear the changes that you guys observe being made in the traning sessions as things move forward now. im not expecting to hear much overnight naturally but im expecting to hear things become very different over the next few months with more emphasis placed on developing the technical abilities of players and more time just playing games.

rafa looks to be building a real legacy here and while theres naturally some concern about what would happen if he upped and went im not sure thats reallly a big risk. rafa for some time has wanted have full control over a club and stability in his life and frankly theres very few other places that are able to offer him what we have. if you look to places like barca, real, the milans etc he'd go back to being a coach for a couple of years and then have to move on. hes got more or less exactly what he wants at liverpool - the potential of a modern dynasty á la fergy / wenger - so i wouldnt have thought he'll be thinking about moving on any time in the next few years unless the situation between himself and whoever owns the club becomes untenable.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #88 on: June 1, 2009, 01:26:50 pm »
Aim for the sky, hit the roof ...

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
Samuel Beckett

Offline rafa is the bosphorus

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Segura Joins Liverpool
« Reply #89 on: June 1, 2009, 01:36:53 pm »
Has anyone got a youtube compilation of his touchline hand gestures and finger waving please, otherwise I won't know how good a coach he is?

Sorry. I had one but Fat Sam was offended by it and so it was withdrawn. Apparently the excellence of the gestures humiliated him.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 1, 2009, 09:41:45 pm »
Sadly so have I and I don't think it'll change.  I guess it works on the same principle as the basic training for the army though; what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (go and check the suicide rates for soldiers between 16 and 21 and compare that to the national average, it's very shocking - or at least it was when I used to work in medical statistics).

I'm just starting out as a coach but, as someone who saw both sides of coaching, I will certainly be vocal but I will never, ever put anyone down or complain at any of the players I work with.  And I won't stand for it from the parents either.

I knocked it on the head because of the shit I had from parents. Things were great until we started winning things and then all hell broke loose. Suddenly everyone thought their kid was Messi and just had to play. I had parents with stopwatches timing how long each kid played. I had a dog's abuse from one particular parent. When I took it the the club I wasn't backed so I quit...
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #91 on: June 1, 2009, 09:59:22 pm »
I knocked it on the head because of the shit I had from parents. Things were great until we started winning things and then all hell broke loose. Suddenly everyone thought their kid was Messi and just had to play. I had parents with stopwatches timing how long each kid played. I had a dog's abuse from one particular parent. When I took it the the club I wasn't backed so I quit...

mate it makes a non-parent wonder why you would ever bother to put yourself through it.  i hope if i ever have kids i wouldn't get that involved but then i still find myself shouting at the tv - everton or man utd games to be honest - even when i'm watching it on my own.

Offline dimitri

• Kopite
« Reply #92 on: June 1, 2009, 10:08:52 pm »
jason23, you should of told the kids parent where to go.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #93 on: June 1, 2009, 10:12:02 pm »

i dunno.  i've seen some of these dad's on hackney downs and i'm not sure i'd want a ruck with one of them let alone a whole crew

Offline dimitri

• Kopite
« Reply #94 on: June 1, 2009, 10:13:44 pm »
a kick in the knackers and a jog to your car for a hasty getaway - problem sorted  ;D

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #95 on: June 1, 2009, 10:50:39 pm »
Thanks for giving us a tad of insight on the coaching levels fellas, interesting stuff.

The coaching is different out in Spain, but not hugely. One of the things that I've noticed having played in both countries, is the difference in attitudes of the players. When you walk onto a pitch and knock a ball about before you start warming up/training, over here you have a few digs at the goal keeper from range and whip a few crosses in and chat about MOTD, before you start preparing properly.

In Spain the young lads all walked on with a ball each, doing keepy ups to themselves or between eachother while chatting and then began knocking the ball around between eachother quickly and trying clever flicks and touches.

That mere attitude right from the moment they start playing football until the day they retire, naturally makes them more technical players but with less aggression physically weaker.

To be honest some of the Spaniards attitude probably wouldn't do our young players any harm and combine the best of both.

Anyways,

As far as the appointment goes, I'm not surprised and it's very good to see Rafa acting so quickly and ruthlessly in the areas at the bottom of Anfield.

The thing is, in modern football time is very limited. Rafa, in order to be successful, couldn't start right at the bottom and work up, for the time being, the first team and everything involved in the short term came first. With Parry seemingly having too much say in other matters it was something Rafa would have to leave and just work on "his team" like a coach rather than a long term manager. He's built a more than impressive first team from top to bottom in that 5 years, and now has been given the opportunity to run that right the way through the club. How exciting?

It is vital to the long term success of the club. Rafa has built a side that competes and now is starting to build a club that dominates. The importance of a good youth system and you only need to compare Barcelona/United/Arsenal to Chelsea/Real Madrid to see which sides have been successful for longer periods/to more of a degree, in the last 12 years of football.

And I wouldn't worry about Rafa doing things quickly. It's a great sign that Rafa wants to move fast and get things done to get it all in motion asap, but there will be little haste in his decisions; he's had plenty of times to ponder these things long before he signed the new contract. ;)

Great news for the club though. This guy seems to have a very good C.V and will be working under Rafa and his men. The names of players speaks for themselves.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 1, 2009, 10:58:52 pm »
I did but I needed the backing of the club. One minute they are going to kick them all out of the club and the next minute they just move him to another team as he was playing a year up.