Author Topic: The road to resurrection of Liverpool?  (Read 4795 times)

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
The road to resurrection of Liverpool?
« on: April 9, 2008, 06:19:53 pm »
I'm looking at the big picture, not talking about a single cup, title, or whatever. Please don't kill me for looking 3 games ahead; it's only 3 games...

It seems that a path to resurrection is presented to us. It started with the elimination of Arsenal in the CL. Chelsea are next, and let's imagine for a moment that we eliminate them, we know how to do that anyway. Then we go to the final to meet the Mancs. The final is the only time (I fear) we can beat them; imho they will get on top of us over two games. Suppose now that we win the CL again against the Mancs. This could turn out to be our best chance to gain confidence by beating all the 3 teams above us in the League! This can be the path to winning the Prem next year, and the rest would remain in the annals of history.

I was first against playing English teams in Europe, but I now think that this can be a blessing in disguise.

Hope and believe!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The road to resurrection of Liverpool?
« Reply #1 on: April 9, 2008, 06:21:37 pm »
I would rather play Barcelona if we manage to get through Chelsea.

I am not really fond of playing United in such a high stakes game. And if we lost to them, you would never hear the end of it.

But lets focus on Chelsea first becuase it is gonna be tough to get through them.

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 9, 2008, 06:25:51 pm »
I am not really fond of playing United in such a high stakes game. And if we lost to them, you would never hear the end of it.

So am I, and I fear so do the players. But how can we win the League in that state of mind? That's exactly what a one-off game of high importance can do. Yep, the stakes are very high...

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 9, 2008, 06:28:55 pm »
So am I, and I fear so do the players. But how can we win the League in that state of mind? That's exactly what a one-off game of high importance can do. Yep, the stakes are very high...

Losing to them in the league is not the end of the world because we can still win the league even with a loss or a draw to them.

Losing to them in the Champions League is different. Its a one off game and personally, I wouldn't feel to confident playing them in the final. I would prefer Barcalona, but we will wait and see.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 9, 2008, 06:31:36 pm »
Losing to them in the league is not the end of the world because we can still win the league even with a loss or a draw to them.

Losing to them in the Champions League is different. Its a one off game and personally, I wouldn't feel to confident playing them in the final. I would prefer Barcalona, but we will wait and see.

He's right though. More than anything else, we lack the winning mentality to win the league. I bet United would love to face us in the final. There's no better way to build up for next season, then beating the 3 teams above us.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2008, 06:39:03 pm »
He's right though. More than anything else, we lack the winning mentality to win the league. I bet United would love to face us in the final. There's no better way to build up for next season, then beating the 3 teams above us.

I see your point..

Lets not look past Chelsea first and see if we can beat them and get through to the final.

We have the upper hand on Arsenal so far as they haven't got a result against us in 5 matches so that should come in handy next season.

We also have the edge of Chelsea mentally in semi finals so if could put them out for a third time, that would again play into our hands for next season.

Offline Listen Up

• Main Stander
« Reply #6 on: April 9, 2008, 06:40:11 pm »
There's no better way to build up for next season, then beating the 3 teams above us.

Spot on - the thought occurred to me when the QF draw was made. I don't think it's inconceivable that we Can beat the Mancs (if we get there, that is). The psychological boost would be immeasurable.
"As always, I am concentrating on coaching and training my players" x 20 - the most illuminating and important interview Rafa has ever given

Offline jamiehill

• Kopite
  • MacIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt
« Reply #7 on: April 9, 2008, 06:45:54 pm »
I don't think United would want to face us in the final. Nobody wants to face us. Its our backyard and we are not there for the sightseeing.

We could take them in the final - Fergie is the one without the experience in Europe. The rotation policy would be paying dividends. They would be still hungover from the title challenge. I think that Uniteds nerve would fail. Who knows what bookings and injuries are to follow in the league and Europe. We knocked them out of the FA Cup remember.

Get them back for Lou macari in 1977.
The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all. They showed their unconditional support at half-time when they were losing 3-0 and still they didn't stop singing." Diego Maradona

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 9, 2008, 06:51:12 pm »
If and it's a big if we were to play in the Final, I sure hope we don't end up against the Mancs. We have the quality to beat them, but I just don't want to play them. Much better if we could get Barcelona.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline 10barnes

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: April 9, 2008, 07:52:32 pm »
A win against the Mancs would be a massive lift  for next season, but imagine losing to them, personally i want utd to go out asap  ;)
Walk on

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 9, 2008, 08:14:42 pm »
I'm looking at the big picture, not talking about a single cup, title, or whatever. Please don't kill me for looking 3 games ahead; it's only 3 games...

It seems that a path to resurrection is presented to us. It started with the elimination of Arsenal in the CL. Chelsea are next, and let's imagine for a moment that we eliminate them, we know how to do that anyway. Then we go to the final to meet the Mancs. The final is the only time (I fear) we can beat them; imho they will get on top of us over two games. Suppose now that we win the CL again against the Mancs. This could turn out to be our best chance to gain confidence by beating all the 3 teams above us in the League! This can be the path to winning the Prem next year, and the rest would remain in the annals of history.

I was first against playing English teams in Europe, but I now think that this can be a blessing in disguise.

Hope and believe!
I have been silently thinking this to meself since the draw for the quarters took place. And I just hope you haven't put the mockers on it. This is far too close to one of them let's twat them threads. But I secretly think your right.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline figgy12

• elegantly shite and about to be arrested for bestiality with a labrador - fact
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck. That is all.
    • RAWK
« Reply #11 on: April 9, 2008, 08:16:54 pm »
Mancs?

In MY final?

So. Fucking. Angry.

Offline k4bir

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: April 9, 2008, 09:06:23 pm »
looking at the bigger ,personally i think we will have Chelsea and the mancs if they get there but barca will be real test for them they have had it easy so far barca will be diff they have players who only like to play big games and with messi back fergie can forget it hopfully,we on the other hand have had a harder draw and i think barring the first 20 min last night look more than capable of lifting our trophy again the mancs don't want to play us ,our players now feel they can have anyone in Europe like the good old days our time is nearly upon us,we need to sort out the shit off the pitch have proper investment and that premiere league looks good in cabinet

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 9, 2008, 11:43:42 pm »
If we and the mancs get to the final I think there's NO WAY the lads would let the Mancs get the better of them again.  I'm sure they would see this as the ULTIMATE chance to put the record straight.

But first, Chelsea!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 03:34:38 am »
No, I don't want to even see them near the big ear. They have touched it twice, but no more. Barca
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 05:04:12 am »
Would love Barca in the finals, but on their current form I really dread their semis tie with Man Utd.
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 05:17:14 am »
After last night results I say....come on Barca! Will be a hell of a semi that one and I'll be praying to fowler that Barca come through. Do not want man u anywhere near the final whether we beat chelsea or not.

Offline minusone

• considered rubbish
  • Legacy Fan
  • Resurrection 2.0
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 05:20:21 am »
Liverpool v Barcelona

2 giants of Europe. No other outcome is acceptable.

Seriously, if the Mancs do beat Barca, i'd prefer us to beat Chelsea as i have no confidence in the rent boys stopping the Mancs winning a CL title. It'd be best left to the big boys of Europe.
Fired?? He should be shot! With shit, human shit!

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 05:32:26 am »
Manc's aside, I think our current form over the past few months gives us reason to be optimistic about next season, particularly with our CL form.

We will need to buy some key players but the squad is starting to come together.

There must be a question however as to just how much we will have to spend. With the goings on behind the scenes does anyone think we will have a reasonable transfer kitty?

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 08:55:35 am »

We will have to beat the Mancs eventually, if we are to pass that psychological barrier and mount a serious title challenge in the PL in the near future ... They are good, but so was Chelsea in 2005 under Mourinho ... Maybe, just maybe, it is better to play them in the Champions League, at a neutral ground and with an European referee ...

Offline ouestlereferee

• Pourquoi! C'est monsieur Scrutin
  • Legacy Fan
  • Joga Benitez
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 09:07:06 am »
We will have to beat the Mancs eventually, if we are to pass that psychological barrier and mount a serious title challenge in the PL in the near future ... They are good, but so was Chelsea in 2005 under Mourinho ... Maybe, just maybe, it is better to play them in the Champions League, at a neutral ground and with an European referee ...

I agree.   Much as I'd hate the prospect of a CL final against them, in the medium-long term for this squad they need to turn the Mancs over at some point.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 10:40:40 am »
i for a few weeks have been almost sure that the CL final will be LIVERPOOL V the mancs,

and with chelsea losing their top 2 goalies, we must favour ourselves more, Riise might even score against him with a thunderbolt that is actually on target... and Bcn are missing Ronaldinho now, with Henry struggling with injuries...

so, its LIVERPOOL to beat the mancs in the final...

(i have a bottle of Poitín especially for the afterparty :D)

Offline DanMB

• Anny Roader
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 11:13:48 am »
Yeah i'm very worried of a manu final.

If they were to beat us in the final and to win the prem theyd have 3 european cups and 17 leagues :(

Not good at all, However i think we would have a much better chance than Chelsea but ideally id like a Liverpool Barca final.

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 11:24:30 am »

To all of you fearing the possibility of facing the Mancs in the final ... My favorite quote ...

“Pressure makes diamonds”

General George S. Patton

Offline callanlfc5times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 11:31:56 am »
id rather loose 10 nil to barca in the final than 1 nil to the scum. however i really do think we will beat the scum if we ever meet  them in the champions league.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE
FOR THE 96
JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline joe fitz red

• Kopite
  • Cometh the hour, Cometh the Steve
    • www.facebook.com/weplay
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 11:39:14 am »
'THIS IS RAFAS HOUSE, AND IN RAFAS HOUSE THERE IS ONLYYY GOOD PLAYERS'

babels developing into a very dangerous player. I can see him going off big time next season...

im excited

Offline slickhan

• Kemlynite
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 11:43:16 am »
Its good times at liverpool now a few years ago under houllier we were just desperate to qualify for the champions league fast forward to now and we expect to be in the semi final every year minimum if not the final  :P real madrid would love to be in our position they have been knocked out in the last 16 four years running, no wonder they want rafa   :P BUT THEY CANT HAVE HIM!!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:45:09 am by slickhan »
Im a big whooper!

Offline Meehan08

• Boys Pen
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 01:58:29 pm »
Hope your right mate
"Were on a winner here Trigg!"

Offline arae

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 02:41:50 pm »
The final against the Mancs would be theirs to lose if the media is anything to go by. Anything can happen in 90 minutes, especially when the Reds are playing in Europe. We need to beat the Mancs to win the league (don't even try and argue the maths), and the European Cup is the competition we're strongest in. But hey, portsmouth beat them in a cup comp, maybe it isn't such a big deal? ;)
Singing Munich songs is also disrespectful to those who died at Hillsborough. Is that so difficult to understand?

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 03:00:34 pm »

Get them back for Lou macari in 1977.

Yup. We've already gotten Inter back for '65 and Arsenal back for '89 in this season's CL. Good things come in threes.

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 03:06:14 pm »
I would rather play Barcelona if we manage to get through Chelsea.

But lets focus on Chelsea first becuase it is gonna be tough to get through them.

I with you on this one, totally.
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 03:09:51 pm »
and with chelsea losing their top 2 goalies

But apparently UEFA are letting them take on an emergency goalie, plus Cech is having a special mask made in the interim to allow him to play. He'll look like Hannibal Lector...

Offline Manav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 03:48:44 pm »
We're not in the final yet. By the way, Manchester United in the Champions League final? No no no no no. They wouldn't stop talking about the fact they reached it.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2008, 03:51:59 pm »
Unfortunately a lot depends on the 2 c*nts in charge. If Rafa is here next season, then we're definately on the up. If he isn't, then a new manager will take time to keep the momentum going, regardless of wether we beat Man U in the final or not.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2008, 04:34:40 pm »
It's time to bump this up. I still believe!

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2008, 06:36:19 pm »
We're not in the final yet. By the way, Manchester United in the Champions League final? No no no no no. They wouldn't stop talking about the fact they reached it.
Not unless we beat them.  ;D
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2008, 10:13:56 pm »
I hate to say that, but I was right. Two Chelsea goals from offside and a penalty not called. I'm gutted. But we were the better team. There is always a next year.

Offline rafa4sure

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2008, 11:55:42 pm »
I hate to say that, but I was right. Two Chelsea goals from offside and a penalty not called. I'm gutted. But we were the better team. There is always a next year.

??? Where did you say Chelsea would get 2 offside goals and a penalty not being called?? How were you right exactly? Bizarre.