Author Topic: Hot Fuzz  (Read 7932 times)

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Re: Hot Fuzz
« Reply #80 on: July 8, 2019, 11:47:32 am »
Watched 'The Worlds End' yesterday afternoon to complete the trilogy.

The weakest of the 3 IMO but still great fun.  Brilliant performance from Pegg I must admit :)

Always get the impression Worlds End was Pegg getting a little too carried away, it's ok i guess

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: July 8, 2019, 11:52:30 am »
Always get the impression Worlds End was Pegg getting a little too carried away, it's ok i guess

Yeah i know what you mean but in the context of the story that was Pegg's character.  The other blokes were just bystanders to the Gary King show.

I thought the concept of the movie was quite sad really and Gary King was essentially a sad desperate character.

Like the other 2 movies before, it all got a bit mad in the end

As you say it was an OK movie :)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 8, 2019, 11:55:09 am »
Hot Fuzz is amazing and very re-watchable. Even more than Sean of the Dead.

Plus Timothy Dalton is absolutely amazing in it.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #83 on: July 8, 2019, 12:06:38 pm »
I remember going to the cinema to watch the Worlds End.  I absolutely loved Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz so was really looking forward to it.  I don't think I laughed once at the Worlds End.  Probably my biggest film disappointment!

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #84 on: July 8, 2019, 12:45:10 pm »
Plus Timothy Dalton is absolutely amazing in it.

Usually great in everything he does, was really underrated as Bond IMHO

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #85 on: July 8, 2019, 12:50:21 pm »

The weakest of the 3 IMO but still great fun.  Brilliant performance from Pegg I must admit :)

Pegg's an extremely talented man both as a writer and actor. Shaun of the Dead is such an excellent film and is an absolutely amazing example to study for anyone getting into screenwriting on the hero's journey/monomyth. Really like Hot Fuzz too, World's End is a little bit further down but still good. Wright/Pegg/Frost really are gold all together.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #86 on: July 8, 2019, 01:20:52 pm »
Man Up is decent "watch with partner" film.  Not part of the trilogy granted.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #87 on: July 8, 2019, 01:39:00 pm »
Yeah i know what you mean but in the context of the story that was Pegg's character.  The other blokes were just bystanders to the Gary King show.

I thought the concept of the movie was quite sad really and Gary King was essentially a sad desperate character.

Like the other 2 movies before, it all got a bit mad in the end

As you say it was an OK movie :)

Spot on. What makes The World's End different from the other two is that you do not really get a "happy ending" that works out for the main guys. I mean, Gary King seems to be quite happy roaming the lands, but at the end of the day, he's still the same guy he was at the start of the movie. It's different for SotD and Hot Fuzz, where in the end everything is kind of sorted. Nicolas Angel loosens up while Andy takes policework/life a bit more seriously. Shaun gets to be together with whatever her name is and basically sorts out his life, while Ed gets to do what he does best, i.e. sit around in a shed playing PS2 all day.

Watching The World's End for the first time, I was waiting for that moment all movie long and it never came. There's a slight hint of it, when Nick Frost's character just doesn't care anymore and drinks all the shots on the tray, but it never goes any further than that.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: July 8, 2019, 03:17:38 pm »
We knew Gary King was an alcoholic from the beginning but the bit where he wouldn't show the other guys his arms was a really sad scene as he was trying to hide the fact he had previously tried to commit suicide.

There was obviously more to Pegg's character than simply a mad alcy trying to relive the 90's.

It actually was a happy ending for Gary the more i think about it.  :)

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #89 on: July 8, 2019, 04:12:05 pm »
We knew Gary King was an alcoholic from the beginning but the bit where he wouldn't show the other guys his arms was a really sad scene as he was trying to hide the fact he had previously tried to commit suicide.

There was obviously more to Pegg's character than simply a mad alcy trying to relive the 90's.

It actually was a happy ending for Gary the more i think about it.  :)
Thing is in the worlds end even the characters who were supposedly happy who all had the house,wife,kids,success etc on the surface were "happy" but the more you watched it come about how sad they all were and also had regrets.

They just all seemed to want to blame Gary whilst Gary blamed no one.

Gary for me for all his problems was the happiest of the lot

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #90 on: July 8, 2019, 04:47:52 pm »
It may sound strange, but I think The World's End would have been a lot stronger without the alien storyline. Or at least have it done in a much more subtle way as a deviation from the main story as opposed to taking over the whole film. Up until that point it was building up in a very different and interesting way to the previous two films. Much sadder, darker, and potentially more moving. I wanted to see it go all in with Gary's fucked up character. But all that got thrown out the window as soon as the blue aliens appeared and it just became a pale imitation of the previous two films.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 8, 2019, 05:25:50 pm »
It may sound strange, but I think The World's End would have been a lot stronger without the alien storyline. Or at least have it done in a much more subtle way as a deviation from the main story as opposed to taking over the whole film. Up until that point it was building up in a very different and interesting way to the previous two films. Much sadder, darker, and potentially more moving. I wanted to see it go all in with Gary's fucked up character. But all that got thrown out the window as soon as the blue aliens appeared and it just became a pale imitation of the previous two films.

You may need a bit of fun in a film to make the serious elements watchable. It's a bit like Ghibli films. Both Miyazaki's Totoro and Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies explored serious films. I can watch and rewatch Totoro with pleasure. I've been through Fireflies once, and can't bear watching it again. There's only so much kitchen sink you can take.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #92 on: July 8, 2019, 06:01:30 pm »
You may need a bit of fun in a film to make the serious elements watchable. It's a bit like Ghibli films. Both Miyazaki's Totoro and Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies explored serious films. I can watch and rewatch Totoro with pleasure. I've been through Fireflies once, and can't bear watching it again. There's only so much kitchen sink you can take.

Nothing wrong with fun, but the alien story took the film in a completely different direction and took centre stage as Betty Blue pointed out. It went from being about a couple of mates realising that they have very little in common after 30 or how many years to being about an over the top alien invasion. In my view it got even darker/less lighthearted because of the whole alien plot. I would have preferred it if they had kept the focus on the guys and them doing the golden mile instead of having them fight for survival...

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #93 on: July 8, 2019, 06:01:31 pm »

Oh I agree, I wouldn't expect it to lose all the humour. The first half of the film still has that side to it that I first fell in love with watching Spaced. I would have enjoyed a bit of evolution though, something that trod that fine line between the two. Instead it trod neither line particularly well and is by far the worst film of the trilogy.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 9, 2019, 04:52:58 pm »
Thing is in the worlds end even the characters who were supposedly happy who all had the house,wife,kids,success etc on the surface were "happy" but the more you watched it come about how sad they all were and also had regrets.

They just all seemed to want to blame Gary whilst Gary blamed no one.

Gary for me for all his problems was the happiest of the lot

Agreed. For all his problems, he still had hope that he could get through his problems and be free to be whatever he wanted. He recognised he had problems, which is the first step to fixing them. The others couldn’t see their own problems because “at least we’re not Gary” was the misguided perception. Insulting Gary also made them feel better about the insecurities and regrets they had in their superficially more successful lives.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2019, 08:36:49 am »

I agree. Still decent but can't hit the heights of the other two.

Hot Fuzz is my favorite out of the three for sure. One of my favorite comedies of all time. Shawn of the Dead is a annual watch for me too around Halloween time.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2019, 03:18:04 am »
Agreed. For all his problems, he still had hope that he could get through his problems and be free to be whatever he wanted. He recognised he had problems, which is the first step to fixing them. The others couldn’t see their own problems because “at least we’re not Gary” was the misguided perception. Insulting Gary also made them feel better about the insecurities and regrets they had in their superficially more successful lives.
Thing i didnt like was how everyone knew he was ''Damaged'' yet didnt offer him any help,but chose only to snipe amongst the group and attack him over shit that happened 20 years ago.He missed them all and in brief moments they all kinda missed him,when reminiscing.

I know its only a fleem like,but they were grown men in that film when he invited them on the trip,yet the way they spoke aboot him was like they never enjoyed his company as kids and yet here they are 20 years later follwing Gary King as adults and doing nothing but sit around like old fishwives blaming everyone but themselves for stuff thats happened in their lives.

I like how its aboot not conforming from Garys point of view and making mistakes. The one thing that saved the world at the end so to speak.