Author Topic: The 50 greatest Liverpool players  (Read 30523 times)

Offline yafoy

• lazy git - sabu pundit on pot
  • Legacy Fan
  • a RED who occupies Europe
    • EuRED Liverpool UNofficial Supporters Network
Re: The 50 greatest Liverpool players
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2009, 09:05:25 pm »
"greatest players" to me says it should be aboutr them & what they did as players..

cant see Tommy SMITH, 10 players or so ahead of Emlyn, its almost impossible but my top ten (on players I actually saw play);

Emlyn
Kenny
Souness
Gerrard
Hansen
Clem
Hunt
Keegan
Barnes
Rush

(not necessarily in that order)
Shanks: "Some people believe football is a matter of life and  death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that. - At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it"

Offline Redskin

• Main Stander
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2009, 09:25:52 pm »
By 50 greatest Liverpool players the fella has obviously taken into account the person as a whole, which is why he sings King Kennys praises and a few other players. I know a lot of people who have met Stevie G and most of them say he is a bit of an arrogant prick, don't get me wrong he's given me some of the best times of my life, but personally I'd prefer Carra as a 'kop idol'.

There's a big difference between "meeting" someone and knowing them. I've always thought that he's just shy, but I don't know him either and wouldn't have said anything, except that in a recent interview with Reira on .TV, he said he was suprised to find that Gerrard was in fact shy. I'm shy myself and know from experience that it can give people a completely wrong idea about me as a person, so wouldn't be suprised to find that SG is the same.
"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog, you must stick together. Then you don't get lost. If there's a secret about Liverpool, that's it." Sir Bob Paisley

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2009, 10:05:24 pm »
no way was molby a better player for liverpool than mcmahon.
he may have been more naturally talented than mcmahon but in my eyes molby was a wasted talent.

Liverpools best passer and best penalty taker
the first quality foreign player to play in the premership

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2009, 10:58:50 pm »
Liverpools best passer and best penalty taker
the first quality foreign player to play in the premership

there have been loads of quality foreign players playing in england before molby arrived, one of our greatest goalscorers was south african not to mention the dutch pair of muhren and thijssen (sp?) that ipswich had in the late 70`s / early 80`s.
molby (or rambo!) was a hero of mine but his lack of mobility was shocking at times, look at the amount of games he played in over a decade at the club, he should have played twice as many games in a red shirt.
in his first couple of seasons he was easily our best player but after that his weight yo-yo`d and he was in and out of the team.
put it this way, around the late 80`s if molby was out of the team it was no big disaster, if steve mcmahon was out of the team it was a big f##king disaster.
players like whelan and spackman were regulars before molby and that`s sad really because in terms of pure footballing ability molby had more talent in his big toe than spackman.

i must add though that spackman was a grafter, he was like mascherano in the sense that he`d run all day and sprint his f##king heart out to break up an attack or catch an opponent.

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2009, 11:06:22 pm »
I heard the author of this list on city talk tonight  i have got to say what a shitbag to put players down a list due to personally disliking them proves this list is a load of shite , when he puts the GREAT emlyn hughes  down the list because he voted for the tories  and clemence is low down because he left the club  and no bruce grobbelaar just makes a mockery of this list .

Offline Super MAC

• ....and a nice pair of trousers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2009, 11:07:56 pm »
For me Johnny Barnes was the best player ive ever seen in a red shirt, at his peak he was awesome
All governments are lying cocksuckers - Bill Hicks

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2009, 11:12:37 pm »
For me Johnny Barnes was the best player ive ever seen in a red shirt, at his peak he was awesome
wouldn't argue with anyone who think that , same for anyone who think souness was the best wouldn't say they were wrong .

Offline Crouchy

• Legacy Fan
  • Vamos!
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2009, 01:28:57 am »
Rush should easily be in the top 10.

Offline Redsfan

• Boys Pen
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2009, 08:54:17 am »
what about gordon hodgson?
he doesnt even make the list!
he scored more league goals than ian rush (and dont forget hodgson had no europe or league cup to play in back then) and hunt only beat hodgsons league record by 7 or 8 goals right at the end of his liverpool career.
the thing was though that all hodgsons league goals for us were scored in the top flight where as hunt scored a fair few in the second division!
dont forget even when shankly took over it took us 3 seasons to get out of division 2.
plus hodgsons strike rate is way better than rush`s and hunts, he scored his 233 league goals in something like 358 games, a incredible strike ratio.

Spot on. It's criminal he didn't even get a mention!

Offline kingkenny79

• Kopite
  • King Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish, King Of Liverpool
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2009, 09:20:39 am »
some of names mention here, ive never ever watch them play, but from my 25years of supporting Liverpool,

my top 10 list would be

1. King Kenny
2. Rush
3. Beardsley
4. Hansen
5. Clemence
6. Barnes
7. Aldrigde
8. McMahon
9. Fowler
10. Erik Meijier :wave :wave  (not the best, probably one of the worst, but probably one of most hardworking player ive ever seen)
10. Souness
A Pround Citizen of Kingdom Of Liverpool, Hail King Kenny, Long Live The King.

Offline mazzapool

• Main Stander
  • YNWA LIVERPOOL FC
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2009, 09:33:15 am »
Why is everyone reckoning Stevie G aint worthy for no. 2?
In my opinion he's a legend.

Mazz
"We thrashed them 0-0!"

Bill Shankly

Offline mazzapool

• Main Stander
  • YNWA LIVERPOOL FC
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2009, 09:34:25 am »
(Voronin for number 1!! :P)
"We thrashed them 0-0!"

Bill Shankly

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2009, 09:35:32 am »
The fact Xabi Alonso isn't in that list is an oversight. Carragher shouldn'y be above Rush in the list and i really hated that comment about the Kop not loving Gerrard. I can only speak for myself, but he is a fucking hero.

Agree with you there. Stevie G is a Red Legend.

BUT, you try to put the top 50 together and you'll get criticised no matter what.
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2009, 09:48:56 am »
I will still say top 5 is
1 dalglish
2 souness
3 barnes
4 hansen
5 liddell

Offline Rafas Tapas

• Main Stander
  • This here is our bread and butter...
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2009, 11:32:39 am »

BUT, you try to put the top 50 together and you'll get criticised no matter what.

Absolutely.  I agree with almost every write-up of the players in the list - especially the one about Steve Nicol and the curse of being seen as a utility player.  Beardsley and Rush are both too low down but I have no problem with the exclusion of McManaman.  As for Kenny / Platini there is a case to be made for both but this has nothing to do with the Balon d'Or.  Platini bagged three of them, fine, but I'd argue that the award is a bit devalued for Reds on the grounds that KK won it twice and Kenny never.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2009, 04:38:50 pm »
As for Kenny / Platini there is a case to be made for both but this has nothing to do with the Balon d'Or.  Platini bagged three of them, fine, but I'd argue that the award is a bit devalued for Reds on the grounds that KK won it twice and Kenny never.

Yeah its true about KK perhaps not deserving 2, but he was a fucking great player too. It wasnt just the Balon D'ors that made Platini a great player though - also 3 times top scorer in Serie A (when it was the best league in the world by a mile) as a playmaker....

Plus has any player ever had the same impact in a major international tournament than he had in Euro'84? I dont think anyone's come close.

As a person I cant stand him, but as a player, he was the best in the world of that era.

Offline Rafas Tapas

• Main Stander
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2009, 05:35:23 pm »
Yeah its true about KK perhaps not deserving 2, but he was a fucking great player too.

I'm not knocking Keegan; I'm pointing out that LFC fans know that Kenny was by far the better player - both overall, and in the two years in which KK won his gongs.

You make a good case for Platini and I agree he was a marvellous player, a real joy to watch.  Yes he had more of an impact on the international stage than Dalglish (but then the Italian domestic season is shorter and more sedate than the English or Scottish ones, which may have helped). 

I'm not sure that the Italian league was much stronger than ours when both players were in their pomp, if European Cup success is any guide.  There are two sides to this: Dalglish never had to cope with the stultifying catenaccio tactics that were still all the rage in Serie A in those days; whereas Platini didn't have the shit kicked out of him (e.g. by the likes of Kevin Moran) every week.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2009, 06:05:46 pm »
Ian Rush at 11!!

hahaha. Laughable. Actually no, it isnt.

Fucking insulting actually

And I love Stevie if thats any good

And Matt Busby is more of a legend for this club than Sami Hyypia everyone. Jesus fucking Christ lad
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2009, 08:21:10 pm »
I'm not knocking Keegan; I'm pointing out that LFC fans know that Kenny was by far the better player - both overall, and in the two years in which KK won his gongs.

You make a good case for Platini and I agree he was a marvellous player, a real joy to watch.  Yes he had more of an impact on the international stage than Dalglish (but then the Italian domestic season is shorter and more sedate than the English or Scottish ones, which may have helped). 

I'm not sure that the Italian league was much stronger than ours when both players were in their pomp, if European Cup success is any guide.  There are two sides to this: Dalglish never had to cope with the stultifying catenaccio tactics that were still all the rage in Serie A in those days; whereas Platini didn't have the shit kicked out of him (e.g. by the likes of Kevin Moran) every week.

This is all true. All a matter of opinions I guess. Just to complicate things further, pretty much every South American out there would say Zico was by far the best player of Dalglish's era, so each to their own.

And Matt Busby is more of a legend for this club than Sami Hyypia everyone. Jesus fucking Christ lad

Im not old enough to have seen Busby play, but pretty sure he was very highly rated in terms of influence and ability. And as the original post says, he played a big part in developing Sir Bob...which is good enough for me.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2009, 08:24:04 pm »
whereas Platini didn't have the shit kicked out of him (e.g. by the likes of Kevin Moran) every week.

I dunno, training sessions with Claudio Gentile couldnt have been fun...

Offline James B

• anned.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team o' Caraghers!
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2009, 10:12:46 pm »
Jerzy Dudek wouldn't make my top 50. He'll always be remembered and appreciated for Istanbul, but I thought he was an average keeper otherwise.

Offline Rafas Tapas

• Main Stander
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2009, 10:47:08 am »
This is all true. All a matter of opinions I guess. Just to complicate things further, pretty much every South American out there would say Zico was by far the best player of Dalglish's era, so each to their own.

Im not old enough to have seen Busby play, but pretty sure he was very highly rated in terms of influence and ability. And as the original post says, he played a big part in developing Sir Bob...which is good enough for me.

I remember watching Brazil v France in the 1986 WC.  We were staying in a caravan near Cartmel in the Lakes.  It was one of the best games I've ever seen, although Zico and Platini were both a bit past it by then.  Zico came off the bench to take a pen with his first kick of the ball, but missed.  Eventually the game itself went to pens and for some reason my Mum had got really into it.  When Platini stepped up I said to her: "this is one of the best players in the world - watch how he takes this pen".  Of course he missed as well.

As regards Busby, he was one of my Dad's heroes when he was a kid.  In fact he knew him slightly, because my Dad was an altar boy at All Saints in Anfield where Busby, who was very devout, went to Mass.  When Busby died our next game was at home against City and their fans ruined the minute's silence - even though he'd played for them as well.  Of course we got the blame even though there wasn't a whisper from our fans.