Author Topic: Our Strikeforce And Pace  (Read 13973 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Our Strikeforce And Pace
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2007, 05:36:30 pm »
What planet are you living on!!
Not sure what your point is. Bolton paid £8m for him and if Bent is worth £16m, then Crouch has got to worth £20m as an English player. And Rafa probably wouldn't let him go for much less. I've never hidden that I don't rate Crouch  but the the price tags are relatively fact. So I'm firmly on planet earth thank you.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2007, 06:30:13 pm »

Torres and Anelka... That would be some partnership. I will never understand why Houllier didn't sign Anelka after his loan spell when we had the option.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2007, 06:37:10 pm »
Not sure what your point is. Bolton paid £8m for him and if Bent is worth £16m, then Crouch has got to worth £20m as an English player. And Rafa probably wouldn't let him go for much less. I've never hidden that I don't rate Crouch  but the the price tags are relatively fact. So I'm firmly on planet earth thank you.

:lmao

Offline XPeriment626

• Main Stander
  • Class and grace - money can't buy either of these
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2007, 06:58:28 pm »
Is this the same Kaka who can run the whole length of the pitch with the ball and no one can catch him and who they say continiously accelerates over a 100m sprint and is accelerating at the end. If we're talking short bursts, Messi is a better example. Because of Kaka's long stride his speed is deceptive.

Who are the "they" who say random untrue things? Nobody accelerates continuously over 100m unless they start off accelerating really slowly. Sprinters hit their maximum speed around the 60m mark and don't accelerate anymore. Unless "they" are referring to Kaka on rollerblades you should stop using baseless assertions.

The fact is Kaka is fast not because of foot speed but brain speed, and Torres appears to be of the same mould, but allied with actual explosive pace. I think Torres v Ben Haim or Torres v Nosworthy are recent examples worth examining in terms of blinding speed.
Maybe football won't end all the wars in the world. But it sure keeps people distracted long enough for you to steal their guns!

Offline Silvanus

• Kopite
« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2007, 07:28:22 pm »
Torres and Anelka... That would be some partnership. I will never understand why Houllier didn't sign Anelka after his loan spell when we had the option.

Aren't they quite similar?

Offline JeffShreeves

• Anny Roader
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2007, 07:30:03 pm »
Very similar^. I'd say Torres is better in the air and more hardworking. Apart from that very similar types of player.

Offline dane

• Kopite
« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2007, 07:56:20 pm »
Aren't they quite similar?

Yeah, they're both good strikers!

Seriously though... they both have some pace, they both have strength but I would say Anelka has more upper body strength/weight to physically hold off a defender.  They can both finish - you might say Anelka is more selfish and he is also a more experienced player.

I don't think you'd have to plan to play them together each week for it to be a good thing to have them both on the books.  I would dare say that seeing both of them on the team-sheet would have defenders making a spontaneous change to brown shorts.  I also think that despite the persistent 'sulk' tag, Nico does appreciate the special things about Liverpool FC and he would really put his all in to try and get us into a title race.

Online Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2007, 08:01:29 pm »

The extra pace we had across the front 5 in the game against Sunderland was really evident.

At home we do not have to worry about pace all the way up the pitch, but away from home it is vital

The front line of:

Pennant      Gerrard        Masch           Babel

Torres           Voronin

is full of pace and skill, and balance!

It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline flynnyyy

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2007, 08:52:25 pm »
Does anyone really think "le sulk" would settle for the rotation policy withou havin a said "sulk?!" He is like collymore - likes to a be the big fish in a small pond, thats why he is doin so well at Bolton
"We are focusing on supporting our manager"
women are totally insane, it's science.

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2007, 09:01:51 pm »
Does anyone really think "le sulk" would settle for the rotation policy withou havin a said "sulk?!" He is like collymore - likes to a be the big fish in a small pond, thats why he is doin so well at Bolton

thing is mate i dont think they`d be that much rotation if we got him, the front two would be torres and anelka and the others would be back up.
anelka didnt want to leave us in the first place, and when he came here in the 20 or so games he played he was like a breath of fresh air bringing a cutting edge to our boring as f##k football.
he wasnt selfish either, most of the time he ran the channels and put crosses in for owen.
he was our best player when he came here.
i`d love him back.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2007, 09:17:33 pm »
Who are the "they" who say random untrue things? Nobody accelerates continuously over 100m unless they start off accelerating really slowly. Sprinters hit their maximum speed around the 60m mark and don't accelerate anymore. Unless "they" are referring to Kaka on rollerblades you should stop using baseless assertions.

The fact is Kaka is fast not because of foot speed but brain speed, and Torres appears to be of the same mould, but allied with actual explosive pace. I think Torres v Ben Haim or Torres v Nosworthy are recent examples worth examining in terms of blinding speed.

No Kaka is actually really really fast and powerful. It doesn't get as much comment because he's such a brilliant player. People talk about Bellamy's speed for example because its his main asset.

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2007, 07:53:33 am »
to bring the topic back to our current strikeforce, we certainly have more pace up front than in the last years. We are also less dependent on one player being on the field, as last year when Bellamy was the only really fast one. Now both Torres and Babel are lightning quick and Voronin seems to have some burst of pace as well. As mentioned above they are not only pacey strikers but (just like Kuyt and Crouch) are intelligent players as well. Voronin sure looks class.

Offline flynnyyy

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2007, 11:29:19 am »
I remeber readin somewhere just after we got torres that Beckham was sayin when he played against him he was deceptively quick because his style of play looks so lazy.  I can see exactly what he meant as that burst through on goal on sat was like shit off a shovel but his legs didnt look as though they were goin 2 to the dozen like Michael owens do for example.
"We are focusing on supporting our manager"
women are totally insane, it's science.

Offline XPeriment626

• Main Stander
  • Class and grace - money can't buy either of these
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2007, 02:41:06 am »
I remeber readin somewhere just after we got torres that Beckham was sayin when he played against him he was deceptively quick because his style of play looks so lazy.  I can see exactly what he meant as that burst through on goal on sat was like shit off a shovel but his legs didnt look as though they were goin 2 to the dozen like Michael owens do for example.

Yeah, I remember that quote - "deceptively quick". The way he suddenly blew past Ben Haim wasn't bad either.
Maybe football won't end all the wars in the world. But it sure keeps people distracted long enough for you to steal their guns!

Offline Raftastic

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2007, 02:48:17 am »

He does the full 100m medley styley starting with squat thrust into jumping Jacks reversed into backwards jogs then backflips into a full on sprint for the final 10m's