Author Topic: FA Youth Cup 3rd Round: WBA 1 Liverpool 2 (aet)  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Road End Sikh

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
FA Youth Cup 3rd Round: WBA 1 Liverpool 2 (aet)
« on: December 7, 2006, 09:52:29 am »
As usual for youth or reserve games it was freezing cold and you wondered whether anyone would turn up. In fact a healthy 401 fans were at the Hawthorns to see us kick off the defence of the FA Youth Cup, including plenty of Reds many of whom were relatives of the players.

There was a blistering start by Liverpool as well, as within 2 minutes a corner whipped in from the right was allowed to travel all the way to the back-post and Robbie Threlfall scored with a stooping header.  As with the first team, we then controlled the game without threatening a second, Jay Spearing in particular spraying the ball about and linking well in midfield.

After 27 minutes, Albion scored after a mistake by Michael Burns at left-back. He tried to play out of defence instead of clearing and was dispossessed. The cross evaded everyone, but was put back in from the left and Stefan Morrison scored from six yards.

A good effort by Spearing over the bar was the only other real effort before half-time. However, Ryan Wignall was a bit lucky to only get a yellow for what looked like a two footed lunge. He seemed to come off worse from the tackle as well, as Charlie Barnett came on for him at half-time.

We dominated the second half and missed several chances, with Ray Puterill being our most dangerous player. He had the beating of his full-back, both outside and cutting in and produced a great save from the Albion keeper with a low right-footer. It seemed we had to score and with hypothermia kicking in I was praying for no extra-time. In injury time after their keeper again made a good save, sub Lee Woodward missed a sitter, blazing a rebound over from six yards. So extra time it was and about half the 401 crowd disappeared, either not realising we had another 30 minutes or just too cold to care.

Ray Putterill nearly scored straight from the kick-off, a good dribble ending with a brave save by the West Brom keeper. He didn't have to wait long to score though and two minutes later he lashed in a 20 yard shot and the keeper misjudged it, allowing it to beat him in the middle of the goal. Why hadn't he done that a few minutes earlier and saved us the extra 30? Our ball retention and passing was excellent after that, and bar a couple of tight offsides in our favour we saw the game through comfortably.

I would say Spearing and Putterill were our best players, but Stephen Darby showed quality at right-back and the subs Barnett and Woodward improved the side. Jimmy Ryan looked cocky enough to believe he's a player but I didn't see a stand-out like Roque last year or Welsh and Mellor from a few years back, so not sure how many of the lads will make the grade at Liverpool, or even whether we are good enough to win this again. An enjoyable game anyway.

Liverpool Team: Roberts, Darby, Burns, Gaughan, Threlfall, Spearing (capt.), Wignall, Ryan, Lindfield, Flynn, Putterill

Subs used: Barnett, Woodward, Pringle
Subs not used: Behan, Mimms.   

© Road End Sikh 2006
« Last Edit: December 7, 2006, 10:44:10 am by Rushian »
LFC    then   now   always

Offline flemo

• BANNED FROM TICKET EXCHANGE
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • 6 times come may
Re: WBA Youth 1 Liverpool Youth 2
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2006, 09:59:02 am »
good when is the draw for the next round hope its at home good last year

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
Re: FA Youth Cup 3rd Round: WBA 1 Liverpool 2 (aet)
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2006, 11:40:15 am »
All the details will be on the FA site when they do it

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/TheFAYouthCup/

Legacy fan

Offline Jacko1

• Main Stander
« Reply #3 on: December 7, 2006, 01:52:37 pm »
Hope the next game is at Anfield i like watching the youth team!

Offline flemo

• BANNED FROM TICKET EXCHANGE
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • 6 times come may
« Reply #4 on: December 7, 2006, 02:04:39 pm »
i would like man u away that would be good

Offline Jacko1

• Main Stander
« Reply #5 on: December 7, 2006, 02:13:40 pm »
Its only a youth cup lad dont get two carried away haha!

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 8, 2006, 03:53:01 pm »
Its only a youth cup lad dont get two carried away haha!

One of the best parts of last season, that! ;D
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline TOSH496

• Kemlynite
« Reply #7 on: December 8, 2006, 04:28:37 pm »
I am mainly replying to your last paragraph of your report, I know football is about opinions but Mr Roque whom we all hope will turn out to be a fine Red in the near future was certainly not a outstanding player you say he was last season.Far from being outstanding he was at times very average weather this was down to him not speaking English or getting used to the English game I am not sure.... but I am afraid you are very wide of the mark when you say he was I quote "stand out" last year.

I saw this with my own eyes as I attended most of the games last year and for me there were many other players who had a much better season than him.

Like I said football is about opinions but I am afraid yours may have been seen through Spanish tinted glasses.

With regards to Jimmy Ryan he has only recently returned from injury so it will take him time to get back into his rhythm so again I find your criticism of him wide of the mark.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2006, 06:16:59 pm by TOSH496 »

Offline Simon-1973

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 8, 2006, 04:34:32 pm »
Great result for the Youth Team  :scarf
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline TOSH496

• Kemlynite
« Reply #9 on: December 8, 2006, 06:18:31 pm »
The draw was made today we have either Forest or Chelsea at home, date TBC.

Offline Road End Sikh

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 12:59:14 pm »
I am mainly replying to your last paragraph of your report, I know football is about opinions but Mr Roque whom we all hope will turn out to be a fine Red in the near future was certainly not a outstanding player you say he was last season.Far from being outstanding he was at times very average weather this was down to him not speaking English or getting used to the English game I am not sure.... but I am afraid you are very wide of the mark when you say he was I quote "stand out" last year.

I saw this with my own eyes as I attended most of the games last year and for me there were many other players who had a much better season than him.

Like I said football is about opinions but I am afraid yours may have been seen through Spanish tinted glasses.

With regards to Jimmy Ryan he has only recently returned from injury so it will take him time to get back into his rhythm so again I find your criticism of him wide of the mark.

I only get to see the kids 4 or 5 times a year, so maybe Roque just had a few good games, I accept your opinion as you see him more. I wasn't criticising jimmy Ryan, I was praising him, in that he had that bit of arrogance about him that a good player needs.

I don't see where the Spanish tinted glasses comes in.....why would I have a Spanish bias? 
LFC    then   now   always

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 02:09:17 pm »
The draw was made today we have either Forest or Chelsea at home, date TBC.

Have you got a link for that? Can't see anything on the FA website

EDIT:

Forget that, should have scrolled down a bit  :-[
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 02:14:05 pm by Danny Boys Dad »
Legacy fan

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 04:38:11 pm »
yes a home tie, was good watching the youths last year hope they go on another good run
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline TOSH496

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 05:00:44 pm »
The reason I thought you had Spanish tinted glasses is that you were under the impression Roque was one of the better players and that the manager happens to be Spanish.

Ref Jimmy Ryan if you were as you say praising him then all good and well, like I said before football is all about opinions so we all see different things in games and players, this is not me having ago at you it is me pointing out that some reports are not always correct as the game itself.The official site as good as it is can be really bad for this, sometimes for example Jack Hobbs who has an official link on the site was very average to say the least but the official site it would say he played a blinder.
I only get to see the kids 4 or 5 times a year, so maybe Roque just had a few good games, I accept your opinion as you see him more. I wasn't criticising jimmy Ryan, I was praising him, in that he had that bit of arrogance about him that a good player needs.

I don't see where the Spanish tinted glasses comes in.....why would I have a Spanish bias?