Author Topic: The white wall on the Kop  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Rafas3leggedtable

• Legacy Fan
The white wall on the Kop
« on: November 28, 2006, 02:53:19 pm »
Whenever I see the old footage of the kop I always look for the wall half way up on the left side as you look at the kop from the pitch. I only ever had the privilege of standing on the kop twice before it was demolished but both times were up there stood against the wall.

It was hell of a view cos obviously there was no one in front of you. The first match (everton – a Sunday game methinks 1984? – Grobelaar twatted a blue nose I think it was who had run on the pitch – we won 3-0 I think). I shall NEVER forget the smell of piss as at half time everyone just got stood there and pissed. I myself took a sneaky piss in the corner of where the wall met another wall???  :o

The second game I attended in 1985 or 1986??? Versus spurs – garth crooks 1-0 win to spurs I don’t remember the pissing at all. Had the PC brigade starting kicking in by this time? Was this the point at which the Kop began to lose its do-as-you-want- mindset?

Who can tell – just give me your white wall memories because there are thousands more than me who have stood there many more times.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 03:34:22 pm by Rushian »
The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Offline Red Only

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The white wall on the Kop thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 03:10:05 pm »
It was a white wall, but at the back it was yellow! :-\

Me auld fella and me had our spec there for years as I grew up,
always used to look at Match of the Day to see if you could spot us!

Superb Memories of how great going to the match used to be,
no parrot heads, no easeh, no fancard,no defeats, no problem!
Annoying the population of Manchester with my European Tales and Scouse Rhetoric on a daily basis!

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 03:25:10 pm »
Memories of pissing down a rolled up echo and the kop looking like a waterfall at full time when it was empty. :)
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 03:32:01 pm »
Distinctly remember avoiding the waterfall of piss that used to stream down one corner of the boys pen at half time.....happy days!!

Oh, and what about the one or two gymnasts that used to climb up into the steelwork of the Kop roof :)

Offline bring_on_heighway

• Kemlynite
Re: The white wall on the Kop
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 05:48:17 pm »
Of all the things to miss about the old kop, surely the yellow mersey isnt one of them!
'As always, we are focussing on supporting our manager'

Offline TheLeftSide

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 05:50:56 pm »
Great memories of pissing on the old "boys pen" wall. The best bit was the lads at the front selling the chewy. People used to throw their money down these lads would catch the tanners and throw the pack of chewy back up the Kop their accuracy was amazing.

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 05:55:22 pm »
Crazy isnt it,. in another post there are young'uns moaning about getting wet with rain in the paddock!

Offline willss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 06:06:48 pm »
The standing kop was a privelige to be in.  The atmosphere 30 mins before kick-off was better than during some games these days.  Some of the stuff said in the RTK thread is a little egotistical but if they can bring back that atmosphere again it would be well worth it.

I dont remember the wall specifically but I suppose everyone has their own different memories of what it was like.

Offline Overseas Red

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 07:37:46 pm »
Of all the things to miss about the old kop, surely the yellow mersey isnt one of them!
Possible contender for the best first post of all time!  Cheers!

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 08:13:34 pm »
Great memories of pissing on the old "boys pen" wall. The best bit was the lads at the front selling the chewy. People used to throw their money down these lads would catch the tanners and throw the pack of chewy back up the Kop their accuracy was amazing.

I remember this too....how were they so accurate?

However, I also remember almost being cut in half by a crash barrier when the Kop swayed forward - maybe not everything was as good then!

Offline TheLeftSide

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 08:49:20 pm »
I wonder if any of those chewy lads read this forum. It would be great to hear from them. As I remember it wasn't just the chewy. They also used to toss your change back. That's true entertainment. Up to your bollocks in piss watching the masters of "chewy chuckin' ".

Offline Bruno_L36

• Boys Pen
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 09:19:30 pm »
The Ashtray I think it was called. I never stood there but one time in 1978 we played Forest in the European cup, me and a mate manged to bunk in over the wall behind the houses on Kemlyn road and we dropped into the Kop and just wandered around slyly watching the ground staff preparing the stadium. Anyway we decided to hide behind a shed under the kop (yes there was one - on the hill just above the bogs) and after a while a couple of other lads appeared then a few more appeared - there must have been twenty of us hiding behind this shed, so we decided to get off and find somewhere else. Anyway thats where we ended up in the Ashtray hiding behind the wall. About 5.00 we noticed bizzies fanning out into the stadium, a couple came on the Kop and we were nabbed hiding behind the wall. They put our arms up our backs and marched us around the pitch down the tunnel and out of the back of the main stand where they threw us in a van and carted us off to Walton lane, much to the amusement of the Forest fans hanging around outside. That was my fond memory of the Ashtray, at least I got to see the 'This is Anfield' sign as plod carted me off to the nick. :)

Offline Joshytoohotty

• Potty Mouth
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 09:28:56 pm »
Wonder what internet message boards would have made of pissing on the Kop if they were around back then. :D
They only drink water and bottles of coke, the Everton boys are a joke...

Offline Rafas3leggedtable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 11:06:02 am »
The Ashtray I think it was called. I never stood there but one time in 1978 we played Forest in the European cup, me and a mate manged to bunk in over the wall behind the houses on Kemlyn road and we dropped into the Kop and just wandered around slyly watching the ground staff preparing the stadium. Anyway we decided to hide behind a shed under the kop (yes there was one - on the hill just above the bogs) and after a while a couple of other lads appeared then a few more appeared - there must have been twenty of us hiding behind this shed, so we decided to get off and find somewhere else. Anyway thats where we ended up in the Ashtray hiding behind the wall. About 5.00 we noticed bizzies fanning out into the stadium, a couple came on the Kop and we were nabbed hiding behind the wall. They put our arms up our backs and marched us around the pitch down the tunnel and out of the back of the main stand where they threw us in a van and carted us off to Walton lane, much to the amusement of the Forest fans hanging around outside. That was my fond memory of the Ashtray, at least I got to see the 'This is Anfield' sign as plod carted me off to the nick. :)

top story
The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Offline Ned Kelly

• Simple, really.
  • Kopite
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 12:37:18 pm »
That's where my Dad used to take me when I was a nipper.I remember him giving his season ticket in (later cash) and a young Ned would just squeeze in free of charge (or a couple of bob for the gateman).
Used to sit on the wall with my legs dangling over the entrance to the Kop , always arrived just before kick-off but always got a seat on the wall , it must have been Kop etiquette to make way for the kids.

Fantastic times.

Bruno says it was called the Ashtray but was it also known as the Shelf?
Would you rather win the lottery or Joe Royles head full of Fifty pence pieces ?

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 01:04:30 pm »
Went on there once or twice as a kid when I got to the ground late and it was too packed to get in the middle.
The only lasting memory I have of it though was in the 80s against the mancs and they put a couple of hundred of them in there.
Nobody realised until half time. They had a cordon of police in front of them.
When they realised what was going on the scallies started making their way across. I remember one lad edging his way up the steps behind the police line. He must have only been a foot or so away from the police as he kept his back as close to the wall as possible. He was carrying a cider or sherry bottle and as he got higher up the steps and therefore nearer to to top of the wall, he let fly. There had been one particular manc who feeling extremely safe behind the cordon, was giving it loads. He was wearing a leather jacket and had a Billy Idol haircut!...Well he was the one who met the bottle with his face. The scally was away into the Kop before the police realised. I also remember the Kop singing to them " There's only one way out!"
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline morestellata

• Legacy Fan
  • fiends,romans and fuck off everton!!
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 01:08:22 pm »
I thought that area was called the Pulpit.
1st IS 1st, 2nd IS NOWHERE.
NEVER FORGET NEVER FORGIVE.
NEVER BUY THE SUN.
JUSTICE WILL BE DONE.

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 02:41:43 pm »
The standing kop was a privelige to be in.  The atmosphere 30 mins before kick-off was better than during some games these days. 

Agreed, but I used to get fed up with those footballs being thrown around by some Kopites. I got twatted by them more than once and when I was least expecting it. Once right in the face.LOL.

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 02:43:57 pm »

Bastards! Police brutality.

phil_j_420

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 02:53:56 pm »
My Dad, never took me on the Kop when I was little becasue he said it was too dangerous for me, always went in Main Stand instead.

I wish I had have had a chance to stand on the Kop before the seating was put in.