Author Topic: Houllier's comeback delayed...  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Barrettski

• No longer stuck to a goat or anything else with a beard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A teenage dream is so hard to beat
Houllier's comeback delayed...
« on: January 3, 2002, 10:33:48 am »
...heard it on City FM this morning. Apparently doctors have told him to rest for longer and his original comeback date for later this month has been pushed back. Not sure when to though.

Anyone have details?
Anyone else not surprised? (setting up transfers from France!!)
Anyone else a bit miffed? I think we're beginning to miss him more than we did. No disrespect to Thommo but we've been found out tactically in recent games and we need new ideas...
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »
Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple - Bill Shankly.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Re: Houllier's comeback delayed...
« Reply #1 on: January 3, 2002, 10:47:39 am »
Oh bugger. See my post on "entertainment" thread about PT...

Michael

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2002, 11:14:53 am »
I think the return of Le Boss would've injected some much needed fluency? back into our game. This will happen whenever he does decide the time is right to take a more hands on approach or just take over all together. P.T is doing a solid job but of late performances have been wanting. Thommo has done brilliantly actually, taking over the reigns and fully deserved his M.O.T.M, took us to the top for a little stint but I'm also wondering HOW relieved he'd also be when G.H is back into it.

Offline GedKicksIce

• Main Stander
  • Done the treble
    • LE BOSS!
« Reply #3 on: January 3, 2002, 11:43:24 am »
...heard it on City FM this morning. Apparently doctors have told him to rest for longer and his original comeback date for later this month has been pushed back. Not sure when to though.

Anyone have details?
Anyone else not surprised? (setting up transfers from France!!)
Anyone else a bit miffed? I think we're beginning to miss him more than we did. No disrespect to Thommo but we've been found out tactically in recent games and we need new ideas...

not suprised at all sadly :( There was NO WAY he was ever going to completey switch off from this team.

But if he needs longer, then he should take the rest of the season if needs be. I'd rather that GH is completely well, and us do without him, than him risk his health for our team again.

We do miss him a lot, and more so the last month, but we'd miss him more if he couldn't come back at all.

:(
S U P P O R T

Pheeny

« Reply #4 on: January 3, 2002, 12:11:41 pm »
The following is from the official site:
Liverpool Chief Executive Rick Parry has stressed that Gerard Houllier is unlikely to return to the Anfield hot-seat ahead of schedule.

Houllier is currently continuing his recuperation from heart surgery back in his native France. He continues to keep in daily contact with assistant Phil Thompson at Melwood but Parry does not envisage the boss returning any earlier than expected.

He says: "There is no change in the situation at the moment. As Gerard said at the AGM, he's looking towards the end of January or beginning of February before he returns. If he does come back any earlier it will be a bonus."

Offline MJN

• Main Stander
  • 2nd best defender to ever play 4 us
« Reply #5 on: January 3, 2002, 12:50:02 pm »
We miss him very badly now.

Tommo has done a great job, but with GH there were more clinical, especially in front of goal

When he does come back, it will be like a huge signing 4 us.

Both fans and players will be picked up

Offline davemac

• Anny Roader
  • Hurrah for the jesters
« Reply #6 on: January 3, 2002, 12:51:45 pm »
we need him back sooner rather than later- could be just what we need to give us a lift for the run-in
and remember folks - WE ARE LIVERPOOL

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #7 on: January 3, 2002, 08:21:35 pm »
I'm not in the least bit surprised that GH has been ordered to continue with his R&R.  

It's also obvious, that he hasn't been fully behaving himself, with the signing of Anelka.  His football brain is still fully on the alert, with the best interests of the club in mind.

Sadly, we've had a distinct dip in form over the past month.  Ever since the M.O.T.M. award was handed out.  The sooner we can pass that accursed thing onto someone else, the better, I hope.  Thommo's been doing a sterling job, trying to keep the ball rolling, but I think he's missing the guiding hand of GH.

If GH isn't fully fit to come back to work, there's no way that I want him at the helm.  I want us to have a fully fit man in charge.  There's no need to panic, right now.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline GedKicksIce

• Main Stander
  • Done the treble
    • LE BOSS!
« Reply #8 on: January 3, 2002, 09:24:53 pm »
his "comeback" hasn't been delayed as such - what it said on Sky (if it's right!) is that he won't make an EARLY return. And that he's been told to rest some more.

S U P P O R T

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 4, 2002, 01:37:46 am »
I wonder HOW all the top managers turn off and relax, the pressure must be incredible.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #10 on: January 4, 2002, 04:26:17 am »
I agree Mottman. The pressure must be immence. I think Le Boss will make sure he's 100% before returning, obviously but Thommo has to take a bow too for taking over and doing superbly whilst Gerard recovers. Must have been a different level pressure for Thommo, especially been somewhat accountable for our results and in the limelight of the critics, fans, media and whoever else. It's not a job I'd take on in any hurry. I get worked up just watching my little man kick around a footy ::) ;D

Offline GerardGal

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: January 4, 2002, 05:07:06 pm »
I think we really miss him and we need him to come back. Not just to veer us back to leadership but also to inspure us and fill us with hope again. :-/

Offline R_A_Softlad

• Kemlynite
  • Nil Satis Nisi Bitterium
    • YNWA tv
« Reply #12 on: January 4, 2002, 05:14:50 pm »
The original date was to be back for the second phase of the CL at the end of Feb.
80% of success is showing up - Woody Allen

Offline Barrettski

• No longer stuck to a goat or anything else with a beard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A teenage dream is so hard to beat
« Reply #13 on: January 4, 2002, 05:35:11 pm »
I thought so... so basically the media were fishing for a story... and since there has been no setback, there is no story.

Good one.
Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple - Bill Shankly.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 4, 2002, 07:35:35 pm »
The original date was to be back for the second phase of the CL at the end of Feb.

I thought the original date was end of Jan/start of Feb. That's what Rick Parry keeps spouting out on offal.

When they gave that date, I thought he would be back for ManUre away, and unless Gerard himself comes out and tells us any different then thats what im sticking to.

The club won't let him take any risks by coming back too early, and to be honest I dont want him back until he is FULLY recovered. His health has to be given the top priority.

Offline GerardGal

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: January 4, 2002, 07:59:39 pm »
Ged himself said that when he was asked about it at the BBC Sports Awards ceremony.

RedLoner

« Reply #16 on: January 4, 2002, 08:03:52 pm »
Phil Thompson has dismissed any reports of a delay in GH's comeback. It's still on schedule according to him (Late Jan. early Feb.) Give or take a few weeks, I think he'll be back in mid-Feb.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 5, 2002, 12:42:55 am »
At the end of the day, even if it costs us Champions League qualication for next year, I don't really care.  I give Gerrard my 100 % backing, I stand with him.

I would love to see Gerrard back to his full health, with loads of previous stuff delegated to whoever under him.

He (and the Club) needs (and I think they have)to pass on previous managerial duties to others.

One way forward, one step at a time.

Come on you Tricky Reds.

A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline davemac

• Anny Roader
  • Hurrah for the jesters
« Reply #18 on: January 5, 2002, 01:10:11 am »
totally agree but if he has had so much to do with anelka/baros/fowler transfer he couldnt be that far off

after the mancs game i reckon - that one might be a bit too stressful
and remember folks - WE ARE LIVERPOOL