Poll

Should Prisoners Have The Right To Vote?

Yes
21 (31.8%)
No
42 (63.6%)
Dont Know
2 (3%)
Other
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: Should Prisoners Have The Right To Vote?  (Read 12238 times)

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Should Prisoners Have The Right To Vote?
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2005, 12:23:34 am »
That is evading the question. But a good retort as I believe that there should well be some 'cut off point' for voting rights in prison. She is not a person who should be denied a vote. Quite obviously.

It's not evading the question as the issue you put to the forum surrounds giving "prisoners" (without caveat) the right to vote.

You used an extreme example, as did I. I could very easily argue the point that your example was antagonistic and emotive. Which I won't ;)

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2005, 12:24:58 am »
and someone as sick and evil as him shouldn't have any say in what happens in our society.

good call.

people on the outside should have the vote though. I cant understand how in other countries you are denied a vote if you have previously been banged up inside.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2005, 11:17:28 am »
Would you let Ian Huntley vote?

Yes.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2005, 02:36:23 pm »
I think I mentioned this before, behaviour, the reasons why your in prison, and the length of your sentence should determine whether you vote or not - Ian Huntely does not deserve any voting rights, because he might be dead before he gets out, and someone as sick and evil as him shouldn't have any say in what happens in our society.

If voting is conditional, for whatever reason, then what about people who avoid taxes, people who hold extreme views, the terminally ill, people with suicidal tendencies. What about arms dealers and crooked business men who don't get put inside? Does being convicted and fined mean you have your voting rights taken away? It's the same old Daily Mail Daily, Express, James Whale garbage about prisoners = rapist and murderers. And who decides who has the right in your system? A phone poll on GMTV? Or a panel of judges with vast experience in the law.....  oh sorry that's what just happened isn't it?

What is the problem with Ian Huntley voting exactly? Is he going to vote for the "Murdering Little Girls" party? If you believe that he is a man so far from the normal values of society, then what is the likelihood that his vote would tip the balance one way or the other, so what's the point? Members of the BNP can vote and stand for parliament, aren't they sick and evil?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 02:38:02 pm by Alan_F »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.