Author Topic: CSKA Sofia, the next hurdle . . .  (Read 3279 times)

Offline eskdale

• Legacy Fan
  • Nice shooting son, what's your name?
CSKA Sofia, the next hurdle . . .
« on: August 22, 2005, 06:00:21 pm »
Everyone seems to talking about who is going where and when we are signing so and so, but the reality is we still have another game to play before we get in the Champions League for real.

I am hoping that tomorrow night will be a formality, but lets hope it's not a banana skin for us.

Now to the team . . .

I suspect Didi will come in for Gerrard tomorrow, or do we think Sissoko will take his place?

Other than this, which other fringe players (or fringe players so far this season) will take to the pitch?

I can imagine Riise coming on for Zenden.

Also, is Crouch once more available? I heard he was fit for the game against Sunderland but could play because of his ban?

All in all, I am hoping for a decent score line at home, perhaps 3-0 . . .

Also while I am at it, what was that ludicrous fine UEFA gave Sofia for the disgraceful fan behaviour, when are they going to get it up to a decent fine?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 06:08:20 pm by eskdale »

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
Re: CSKA Sofia, the next hurdle . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 06:15:04 pm »
Various possibilities - I think Didi and Sissoko might both play, Warnock to be given a rest and Zenden to play.  Perhaps a sentimental outing for Milan.  Barragan left out of the reserves so maybe he will get a start as well with Finnan to take a break as well.  Carson for Reina?  Luis Garcia to start to get back some confidence.  Crouch to play if available and match fit.  May look like this

Carson

Barragan/Josemi              Sami/Carra                           Whitbread                              Riise

Garcia                         Didi                     Sissoko                              Zenden

Crouch                        Cisse

Then again, I might be horribly, horribly wrong.

Stamp out racism.

Offline eskdale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 06:20:06 pm »
Thought about Carson in for Riena.

Also the Finnan/Josemi/Barragan equation . . . Perhaps Josemi and give Barragan some more time in the reserves.

I see Traore gets a game tonight too . . .

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 06:21:39 pm »

We should (and I expect us to) play the strongest possible team tomorrow.

Not a time for giving any youngsters a run out. Can't afford ANY slip-ups with this game...

87:13

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 06:23:19 pm »
Thought about Carson in for Riena.

Also the Finnan/Josemi/Barragan equation . . . Perhaps Josemi and give Barragan some more time in the reserves.

I see Traore gets a game tonight too . . .
May have done that (Barragan in reserves) but the fact is that he is not playing today.  May have tried FSP as well for tomorrow - but he is i today as well

Offline eskdale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 06:27:48 pm »
We should (and I expect us to) play the strongest possible team tomorrow.

Not a time for giving any youngsters a run out. Can't afford ANY slip-ups with this game...

I agree, I think there are several people who think we are already in the group stages, but were not.

But we also have a big game to play Friday, but as Rafa says, the next game is always the most important.

Perhaps the importance will see Didi in the middle of our team for security purposes,

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 06:44:15 pm »
I know we can't afford any slip ups tomorrow night but Sofia have got to score 3 goals to knock us out of the Champions League. I'd expect Carson, Didi, Riise & Zak Whitbread to start tomorrow night.

Offline eskdale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 07:15:13 pm »
I know we can't afford any slip ups tomorrow night but Sofia have got to score 3 goals to knock us out of the Champions League. I'd expect Carson, Didi, Riise & Zak Whitbread to start tomorrow night.

I'd be interested to see Whitbread start, in place of who though? Carra or Hyypia?

I can see Didi starting as I said earlier and Riise as Zendens weekend game wasn't great.

I hope whoever is in goal isn't troubled too much  . . .

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 09:55:07 pm »
Whats the ticket situation like for tomorrow, read the ticket forum and some reds who can't make the match appear to be unable to give their tickets away.

A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Baz1LFC

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 09:57:01 pm »
Didi and Riise should get a run out as should whitbread. We need a professional performance to ensure that we dont have a repeat of AK Graz last year.

Offline Thomas_A

• Anny Roader
  • The Redmen.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 10:05:17 pm »
Lets just beat them. Go with......

Carson
Finnan
Carra
Whitbread
Warnock
Potter
Alonso
Sissoko
Risse
Cisse
Crouch

Strong side and fresh legs to come into the Super Cup against CSKA (of Moscow :P)
A Liverbird upon my chest.........

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 10:08:14 pm »
Lets just beat them. Go with......

Carson
Finnan
Carra
Whitbread
Warnock
Potter
Alonso
Sissoko
Risse
Cisse
Crouch

Strong side and fresh legs to come into the Super Cup against CSKA (of Moscow :P)

Crouch is far from ready.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline AK47

• Needs to get a manly man's room. Grrrr.
  • Kopite
  • So it's on and on and on, it's Heaven and Hell
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 10:09:18 pm »
I'd defo have Reina in goal. Not as if he's had much to do in the last 2 games. Also Didi could do with a run out.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Offline Thomas_A

• Anny Roader
  • The Redmen.
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 10:32:07 pm »
Crouch is far from ready.
I read he would have made a surprise comeback against Sunderland if he wernt suspended
A Liverbird upon my chest.........

Offline johnpendo

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 10:35:55 pm »
I think we will play a strong but weak team if ya know what i mean.Ya don't want to see all our players gettin tired for the maatch on Friday.
Some people say football is a matter of life and death,I can assure them it is much much more than that

Offline Baskin Shark

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 10:41:46 pm »
i watched an interview with rafa and yes he did say maybe he woulda been fit for sunderland but then he said he will play against moscow so he wont be playing...
we should go with a strong enough side,need sami to rest for friday as it would be hard for him to play two in 3 days

carson
joesmi       carra     zak      rise

potter         xabi      hamann     zenden
                        luis garcia
                        morientes
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 10:48:11 pm by Baskin Shark »

Offline Gilly La

• shite speller, secure wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2005, 10:41:56 pm »
I'd like to see Moro play and bag one to get his confidence up, and Potter to get a game. He played most of the early games, and hasn't been seen for a while.
FOLLER ME ON TWITTER YER WOOLS

@gillythinks

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 11:41:45 pm »
keep the front two pairing, they need to have as much time together to gel, hopefully we'll see FSP (tho probably too early) at somepoint

Maybe all the kids will get a real chance to impress this time
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline FTW

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 11:44:27 pm »
So long as we don't go letting in a soft early goal, we should close it out.

If they get it back to 3-2, their tails will go up, and we could be up the creek, especially if we have an inexperienced side.

Saying that, they're hardly Barcelona are they.  ;D

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 11:50:03 pm »
Whats the ticket situation like for tomorrow, read the ticket forum and some reds who can't make the match appear to be unable to give their tickets away.

which is why I'm going ;D

agreed BarneyRawkModType. Full strength, Alonso Hamann Sissoko in the middle, Zenden and Garcia wide, Moro up front. Reina in goal, Sami/Carra, and I'd like to see Warnock 'unrested' with Barragan right back. Tho I guess it'll be Finnan for safety.

Shame Flo might not get a run out as he played the other night.. tho would there be a chance?

Offline tim makaveli

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2005, 12:00:48 am »
my ticket hasn't arrived yet from the club, should i be worried?

should come tomorrow or they'll be murder haha.

Offline johnno918

• Kopite
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2005, 12:03:27 am »
like to see pongo at some point

Offline bulgarian_fan

• Kemlynite
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2005, 07:57:14 am »
CSKA have to pay 19 000 euro for the case with Cisse ...

I was there , i felt ashamed of what some of the CSKA fans did , but ... i also saw how Cisse raised his left hand middle finger towards the home crowd and that was an awfull and disgracefull site too .... and that provoked the monkey noises from some fans ...

wander if UEFA are going to put penalty over Cisse for his ugly act tooo ???

other wise , Good luck to CSKA tonight !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JUSTICE FOR MARTIN GEORGIEV !!!

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2005, 08:06:31 am »
... i also saw how Cisse raised his left hand middle finger towards the home crowd and that was an awfull and disgracefull site too .... and that provoked the monkey noises from some fans ...

wander if UEFA are going to put penalty over Cisse for his ugly act tooo ???

um.

ugly act? giving the finger?  somehow i think racial vilification kinda rates worse than that.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2005, 09:41:03 am »

Tickets made it all the way to general release. So i'm not expecting a sell out.

I think the kops a sell out becasue we've only got main stand tickets.

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2005, 09:48:27 am »
How fit is Josemi? I know he played for the ressies against Everton.

Team for tonight: -

Reina

Josemi (Finnan)
Carra
Whitbread
Warnock

Garcia
Sissoko
Hamann
Riise

Cisse
Morientes

The only change from that I could see is if Cisse plays right side again and leave Morientes alone up front with Garcia joining him.
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2005, 10:31:08 am »
Hi,

Here is the list from the beeb!

Liverpool (from): Carson, Josemi, Whitbread, Carragher, Hyypia, Warnock, Zenden, Hamann, Xabi Alonso, Sissoko, Potter, Cisse, Morientes, Baros, Luis Garcia, Reina, Barragan, Finnan, Riise, Sinama-Pongolle.

Based on that I think he will play.

Carson

Josemi/Barragan
Carra
Whitbread
Warnock

Garcia/Potter
Hamann
Sissoko
Riise

Cisse/Garcia
Morientes/Garcia

With a good bench of
Reina
Finnen
Barragan/Josemi/Hyypia
Alonso
Zenden
FSP (even though he played a half yesterday)
Cisse/Moro/Garcia/Potter

:)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:33:01 am by gjr1 »
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline eskdale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2005, 11:00:02 am »
I was wondering if he would bring in Whitbread instead of Hyypia, but that does leave a bit of an untested defence with Carson behind them . . .

It would be interesting to see Sissoko and Hamman in the middle

Offline Kop Heart

• Kemlynite
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2005, 11:33:28 am »
Just took this from Football 365.com lads:

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has cast doubts over whether Steven Gerrard could play for England in their World Cup double-header with Wales and Northern Ireland next month.

The Reds captain is definitely out of the Champions League third qualifying round second leg against CSKA Sofia with a calf injury, but it has also now emerged he is struggling to face CSKA Moscow in the European Super Cup in Monaco a few days later.

If that turns out to be the case Benitez believes playing for England the week after will also be a major problem.

Benitez says: "If he is not fit for Friday's match it will be dangerous to play for England.

"If he has not played games before the internationals it will be dangerous for him to play for England.

"I would need to talk to the doctor after the Sofia game, and then about Monaco for the Super Cup. If he is not fit in two or three days, for him to play a week later would be dangerous, I will talk with the England manager if it is necessary."

Gerrard suffered the injury in the 1-0 home win over Sunderland, his 11th match this summer in Champions League qualifiers, friendlies and England's game last week in Denmark.

Many at Liverpool were surprised that Gerrard was asked to play 84 minutes of that match in Copenhagen considering his demanding workload.

Now Benitez is worried about whether his skipper would be able to figure for England in their forthcoming World Cup Group Six qualifiers.

He said: "It is hard to say whether Steven would have picked up his injury if he hadn't played so many games, you just don't know.

"Jamie Carragher played every game and every minute of last season and he was always fit. In Gerrard's case we have to be very careful.

"I hope he can play in the Super Cup, and he wants to play but he knows he must work very hard with the medical team. He is very important for us."

He added: "I have talked with Steven and the doctors and it may be difficult for us to see him playing on Friday. But he wants to play and he will work hard with the physios and we will be clearer in two or three days.

"But it is not a big problem, we have other players, but we must be careful with him.

"I will rotate my squad, change some players but always with the idea of fielding a strong side. But always you must be careful of what the other team can produce, you never know.

"That is true, it is football, if they score one goal then we will know it is a harder game.

"We do not want that and we must go into the game intent on winning and using other players when we are in a good position to do so."

Dietmar Hamann will play against Sofia, and Liverpool may also bring in Darren Potter, John Arne Riise, Scott Carson and Antonio Barragan.

Benitez said: "I have a lot of respect for Sofia, and they play well in attack. But we have another game on Friday in Monaco and this is the time to use the squad, to give players some rest and to field a side that will still be strong and do the job for us.

"If we want to be sure we must score as soon as possible and the game will be finished. They will try hard from the start, with a very high tempo, and we expect that but we hope that we can end the tie early.

"We need to win the first one to be in the Champions League, that is the first objective. Then the second game against Moscow means we can win a trophy, we will use two good teams in both games and have the possibility to do that."

Offline LFC-Enforcer

• Anny Roader
  • Viva la revolucion!
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2005, 11:47:25 am »
I'd like to see Cisse up front with Luis in the hole (I think they can develop a good understanding given the chance), Riise on the left, Potter taking the right wing, and a solid pairing of Didi/Xabi in the middle. Expecting the usual back four (maybe Traore in place of Warnock) with Barragan and Zak to replace Finnan/Hyppia once the game is under control, with Nando coming on after Djib gets his brace ;).
The blood is its most red nearest to the heart.

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2005, 11:51:27 am »
Regarding the footbal365 stuff about Gerrard not being fit for England... Fuck 'em.

It is about time we protected our players for a change, instead of them getting fucked over when on international duty. If Gerrard is not 100% fit for the internationals he should be withdrawn from the squad. I hope Rafa stands firm over this. Been a number of occasions in the past when injuries have been made worse playing the internationals and other club managers withdraw players quickly, it's about time we did the same.
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2005, 12:02:34 pm »
Regarding the footbal365 stuff about Gerrard not being fit for England... Fuck 'em.

It is about time we protected our players for a change, instead of them getting fucked over when on international duty. If Gerrard is not 100% fit for the internationals he should be withdrawn from the squad. I hope Rafa stands firm over this. Been a number of occasions in the past when injuries have been made worse playing the internationals and other club managers withdraw players quickly, it's about time we did the same.

Yup Man U been doing it now for over 10 years. The old he's picked up and injury but has recovered for Saturday.

I think the problem lies with the types of players we have had over the years though. They want to play for their country. I don't think any of the 4 Spanish lads who played midweek would have been happy with Rafa trying on those tactics.

we had 12 players playing internationals midweek. It would have made a good team actually although I don't think Rafa has played it yet.

:)
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2005, 12:08:00 pm »
Hi,

Here is the list from the beeb!

Liverpool (from): Carson, Josemi, Whitbread, Carragher, Hyypia, Warnock, Zenden, Hamann, Xabi Alonso, Sissoko, Potter, Cisse, Morientes, Baros, Luis Garcia, Reina, Barragan, Finnan, Riise, Sinama-Pongolle.

come on Rafa, give Pongo's growing cult fan base their first ecstatic experience of the season...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2005, 12:13:58 pm »
Not many have Sami in their teams above but seeing he has not missed a minute for us in Europe in the last 7,000 games or something, I think he will play.
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline Kop Heart

• Kemlynite
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2005, 12:40:14 pm »

Totally agree there mate!!!!

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2005, 02:50:38 pm »
Bettingzone have some worrying facts for those that want a thrashing tonight....

http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/football/betting/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=betting/05/08/22/manual_153609.html
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2005, 03:09:34 pm »
I hope Sinama comes on for a bit,can't wait to see him in action again.

Fancy Cisse or Morientes to score tonight if not both.
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2005, 03:49:22 pm »
I'd go with:

Reina

Barragan
Whitbred
Caragher
Warnock

Potter
Alonso
Sissoko
Riise

Garcia
Cisse

Want to see Cisse play as I think he needs to score to get the confidence as i think he's our best chance of 20 goals this season.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2005, 04:09:44 pm »
I'm expecting another bore to be honest

our away form in Europe's been good in recent years but I've had to suffer some of the most teethgrinding boreathons in football history at Anfield

the worse the opposition, and the more sewn up the tie, the worse we seem to play

hoping for a refreshing and entertaining change but I expect with Friday in mind we'll do the bare minimum and stuff keeping the fans entertained, I mean what do they matter?

Offline Gilly La

• shite speller, secure wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2005, 10:59:50 pm »
I'd like to see Moro play and bag one to get his confidence up, and Potter to get a game. He played most of the early games, and hasn't been seen for a while.

Well both of my hopes got shot down in flames didn't they!
Fuckin crap tonight, we're through yeah, but could have been so much worse...
(deep breathes)
FOLLER ME ON TWITTER YER WOOLS

@gillythinks