Author Topic: The FA Finally Take Their Fingers Out Of Their Arses!!  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
The FA Finally Take Their Fingers Out Of Their Arses!!
« on: May 10, 2005, 10:38:30 am »
FA supports Liverpool's Euro case. 

The Football Association is fighting to have an additional place in next season's Champions League - should Liverpool win the trophy in Istanbul.
Current FA policy states that only the top four in the Premiership qualify, a situation that means the Reds miss out.

But FA communications director Adrian Bevington said: "We have been very proactive on this matter.

"We have already submitted a written request to have an additional place, should they win the Champions League."

Arsenal's weekend victory over Liverpool confirmed that Everton would finish in the fourth and final Champions League qualification spot in the Premiership.

However, Bevington revealed that senior figures at the FA have had talks with Uefa president Lennart Johansson and Uefa chief executive Lars-Christer Olsson on the issue within the last three weeks.

And he has been buoyed by Johansson's statement that "the champions must always be given the opportunity to defend the title".

Bevington added: "If Mr Johansson has said we should put something in writing to the Uefa executive committee then we are happy to send another letter once again requesting an additional place for Liverpool, should they win the Champions League."

Johansson urged the FA to write to Uefa but said that their request would be dealt with after the final against AC Milan on 25 May.

"If the English FA would like to do so, they should make a proposal that would mean extending the number of teams from England in the Champions League next time from four to five," confirmed Johansson.

"They cannot just explain their feelings, they should sit down and write a letter to the Uefa executive committee with a request."

It is believed that pressure has been brought on Uefa from sponsors and television companies not to allow a situation in which a club as big worldwide as Liverpool are excluded next season.

Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline SkyBlueRed

• Binley Boot Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sleeping giant awakens...
Re: The FA Finally Take Their Fingers Out Of Their Arses!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 10:44:55 am »
ole
Im not arrogant, im just better than you.

Julian Dicks has been everywhere ... it's like West Ham have got eleven Dicks out there.
-- Anonymous (Metro city radio)

Offline Paul Henwood

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 10:45:12 am »
This is all very encoraging, though there is the small matter of defeating AC Milan before anything can be decided!

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 10:51:55 am »
This is all very encoraging, though there is the small matter of defeating AC Milan before anything can be decided!

Oh I thought that was a formality.  ::)
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Tweedy

• Main Stander
  • www.dailytelescope.com
    • Daily Telescope
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 10:58:38 am »

But FA communications director Adrian Bevington said: "We have been very proactive on this matter.

:lmao

Is it just me or does the term proactive and the FA go as well together as Joint and Stadium.
www.dailytelescope.com

What do you mean it's not big or clever?

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 10:59:55 am »

:lmao

Is it just me or does the term proactive and the FA go as well together as Joint and Stadium.

You mean like Crack and Kids? ::)
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline [delete]

• Grafton Irregular
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 11:26:58 am »
WE'VE GOT TO WIN IT!

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 11:29:34 am »
Yeh, I think we're gettin ahead of ourselves slightly. Well I suppose its alright one the lads concentrate on the job in hand. But all this talk sets us up for a kick in the balls.

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 11:30:40 am »
im fed up of all this now.

i'm going out on a limb here, because i'm not sure how many people have or have not picked up on this:

We have to win the European Cup before any of this makes a shred of difference. Milan are favorites, we're outsiders. I'm not saying i don't think we'll win it. But the way everyone is carrying on, you'd think we'd won the bugger already. UEFA wont make any decisions because they know we stand an outside chance of winning the thing. They will move when they have too.

So can we please just focus on winning the game first?
Momo Is Boss

Offline red or dead

• Kemlynite
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 11:32:42 am »
yes we do have to beat milan for this situation to occur.once again just shows what a bunch of useless stiffs the fa are.

Offline Pass & Move

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 11:38:25 am »
Lets face it, we don't stand a chance...

Offline Ole Gunnar

• Legacy Fan
  • In it to win it!
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 11:43:22 am »
There is still the matter of may 25 in Istanbul, and a team named Milan to beat, before anything will be done.
I don't like the way everybody rants on about this.... It may backfire on us....
Bart: Dad, what's a Muppet?

Homer: Well, it's not quite a mop, not quite a puppet, but man... (laughs, then pauses) So, to answer you question, I don't know.

Offline Saumitra

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 11:45:49 am »

Yeah but the game used to be just about winning the European Cup, whereas now the lads will be much more motivated:  now the extra place means it's almost as good as coming fourth in the league which is much more important ... err ... hang on

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 11:46:21 am »
Lets face it, we don't stand a chance...

dont start

we do stand a chance. but everyones carrying on as if we just need to turn up and pick the cup up, an theres the small matter of a football game to entertain us beforehand.
Momo Is Boss

Offline Tweedy

• Main Stander
  • www.dailytelescope.com
    • Daily Telescope
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 11:47:58 am »
Sure I agree there is the minor detail of winning the trophy first.

However, one of the reasons many of us have been so annoyed about this situation is that the FA and UEFA have left it all to the last minute with various inconsistent messages regarding their polices and in some case out and out lies. Possibly the worst thing on all counts that could happen is that we lose the CL as it will only encourage their status quo.

While the trophy still needs to be won I'm sure all the Liverpool players would like to know where they stand for next year before they kick a ball rather than, like at the moment, not having a clue. This is why both UEFA and the FA need to sort this out before the 25th.
www.dailytelescope.com

Offline Pass & Move

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 11:49:20 am »
dont start

we do stand a chance. but everyones carrying on as if we just need to turn up and pick the cup up, an theres the small matter of a football game to entertain us beforehand.

;)

Offline Ole Gunnar

• Legacy Fan
  • In it to win it!
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 11:54:46 am »
It should have been decided a long time ago, the rules should have been clear about what would happend in these sircumstances. But the way things are now, the way a lot of our supporters behave, it actually looks like we believe the cup i allready ours(even though that is not the case).
But i honestly believe we will win it, but time will show....

Homer: Well, it's not quite a mop, not quite a puppet, but man... (laughs, then pauses) So, to answer you question, I don't know.

Offline mulane

• rouge
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 11:58:48 am »
im confident if we won it that we would be allowed back in. so please lets just finish this topic, its giving me a bad feeling.

Offline Ole Gunnar

• Legacy Fan
  • In it to win it!
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 12:03:45 pm »
Amen!

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 12:07:29 pm »
wasn't it said the other day that even if we don't win it there's some loophole that gives us a back door, something to do with the league winners also winning the carling cup or something?
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline vitch

• Kopite
  • Pikine Guinaw Rail
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 12:18:35 pm »
no shiat....
Fergies so purple i had to turn down the contrast on the tv.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 12:22:08 pm »
im fed up of all this now.

i'm going out on a limb here, because i'm not sure how many people have or have not picked up on this:

We have to win the European Cup before any of this makes a shred of difference. Milan are favorites, we're outsiders. I'm not saying i don't think we'll win it. But the way everyone is carrying on, you'd think we'd won the bugger already. UEFA wont make any decisions because they know we stand an outside chance of winning the thing. They will move when they have too.

So can we please just focus on winning the game first?

Is right. We're acting like we have a dinine right to be in it. Regardless of whether the winners go in or not we still haven't qualified as things stand.

So let's focus.

COME ON REDMEN, TWAT THEM!!!! :D
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 12:23:17 pm »
Reading between the lines, I would guess that UEFA effectively want the FA to come up with a solution as to how to redistribute the pot of TV money that English clubs would collectively get, since no precendent has been set for five clubs before. Our entry would affect all other four clubs...and I guess they wouldn't be too happy about it privately. Nice then that David Dein of Arsenal is part of the decision making process...

As for people going on about how we have to win it first...you're absolutely correct, but on a subject like this where there is no precendent the argument is won and lost NOW, before the final, the same way Everton's case was carried along on a tidal wave of media and public support before they actually confirmed fourth. The more of a fuss is kicked up now, and the more awareness is created about the absurdity of the situation, the better it is for us if and when UEFA come to meet on this.

The club can't say anything, so the fans must.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline Code72

• Is a cunt
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 01:01:02 pm »
We have to win it to be in it, simple as that!!

But lets concentrate on the 25th now, I`m sure UEFA will do everything in their power to get us in if we are crowned champions in Istanbul ;D

If we keep discussing this matter any further now, we will only look embaressed if we only finish as runners up!!

ISTANBUL HERE WE COME!!!!

Offline Tweedy

• Main Stander
  • www.dailytelescope.com
    • Daily Telescope
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 01:49:39 pm »
Sorry but as I've stated I can only agree with Farman. Although likely, the FA and UEFA must make a decision before the final so that our lads know where they stand within the competition if they do win.

In addition it needs to be made a big deal out of as it has highlighted a complete farce of organisation and policy within both organisations. For the sake of the game as a whole, this situation has to be sorted out so that all angles are covered for future years.
www.dailytelescope.com