Author Topic: Change is good. But no Sammy, no Thommo, nobody English - what's happening?  (Read 1746 times)

Offline The-Flying-Piglets

• Boys Pen
Change is great and the introduction of Rafa Benitez and his own Catalan style is unique and interesting for us lads and lasses born and bred with red mersey blood in them. I don't think he will let us down but what bothers me even before we have started is check out the dug-out.

I dont see too many hero scousers as number 2, number 3 or even number 4 as Rafa's second lieutenant. Tommo's gone as has Sammy Lee - that's the last of our engine room.
Other than Rushy, who was one of our if not the greatest striker we have had, who is there with Liverpool blood running in their veins?

I think that will be a problem for us and I think we need to appoint a Scouser as his number 2. One that has seen it and done it. I accept that breed is now in short supply but from a fans' point of view it's a whole new experience for us. I hope Rafa succeeds but at 14/1 the bookies certainly Ladbrokes dont give us much chance.

Does anybody agree ?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 07:12:11 pm by Rushian »
"After Rafa Benitez wins us Premiership after Premiership,Champions League after Champions League.A Couple of Rusian geezers buy us out then role on Stevie Mcmahon and Jason(Ive been on a coaching course and learnt to put 2 words together ) McAteer great times ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Change is Good.But no Sammy,No TOMMO nobody English.Whats Happening?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 07:09:58 pm »
Hughey McAuley, Rush, Alex Miller all still at the club.

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 07:12:14 pm »
Rafa seems to be running things himself from the touchline- at least thats what I saw at Wrexham.

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 07:12:25 pm »
i agree to a extent but when GED came he kept it scouse and didnt succeed, i think it is important for everyone to focus the same way Rafa does and who ever he apoints to be his coaches must have the same ideas and way of playing. I am sad to see sammy go especially, and thomo but i think to move on we must move forward.
greece were 200-1 to win euro04 dont write us out, it will be between us and the gooners
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Rafa did want to keep Sammy Lee as well - club offered him double his salary to stay but the FA had already offered him a job he really fancied.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
Daft as it may sound and I'm ducking already. I think it wotld be a shrewd move to appoint Roy Evans in some capacity. Saying that, I don't even know if Rafa knows who he is or if Roy is , up to date or even interested in "getting apropper job" i am just looking at the free flowing football we played when roy was in charge coupled with a tactical iron fist.
Maybe I'm just dreaming.......... where's Toto and my red shoes?
Somewhere over the ...............way up high...................

;)

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
I think briniging in Evans in some sort of a coaching role would be a good move but I seriously doubt that he would be interested, also he has been out of the game for quite awhile, not sure how that wil effect it if he was appointed.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
Rafa has got his own people sorted already. Evans is just a silly suggestion.

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
Shanks, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish.  The scouse heart of managerial greatness!  It dosn;t matter to me where paople come from, and the world has got smaller, so don't worry about it.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He's kept all the coaches he thought were right for the club, except for sammy lee who he tried to keep, sounds like he's going about things the right way to me.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
Look on the bright side - no more 'sit down Pinnochio' ;D

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee

And you have (hardly any ) no sense of humour.
Which is no surprise to me.

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
Shanks, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish.  The scouse heart of managerial greatness!  It dosn;t matter to me where paople come from, and the world has got smaller, so don't worry about it.

But look at them 4 mate.

They all had either experience of playing for us and/or people around them with experience of the club.

I agree with the first post. We need someone who knows Liverpool on the coaching staff. Personally I'd go with Tommy Smith.
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'

hoonin

I can understand your point, both from the historic and parochial perspectives, but surely its about getting the right people in first and foremost?

A local influence on Rafa would be great and might go someway to satisfying those disenfranchised scousers who feel increasingly isolated by the club, but i dont see any stand out candidates to be honest. You also have to consider the new managers position. He needs to apppoint people he feels can help execute his vision, rather than those who are strongly tied to the past. I dont mean that in a dismissive way either, just highlighting how things are moving in a different direction now to when we enjoyed so much sucess in the 70's and 80's.

Time will tell if Rafa is the right person.....

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
I agree with the first post. We need someone who knows Liverpool on the coaching staff. Personally I'd go with Tommy Smith.

Rush, McAuley, Miller

Offline SKITTLE

• Legacy Fan
  • One of the "older" brigade.
Que? 8)
Been there,done that,getting older,bordering on part timer status. So sad but that's life.

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
I think this is more of an issue for scousers. Personally being an oot I don't have the same desire to have a scouse heart to the team, I just want a successful team!

I believe that to have the best chance of having a successful team you need to let RB choose his staff. Inbedding a  "local lad" would add nothing except aesthetically IMO.

I do understand that scousers want their team to be scouse & their club to be scouse, but to be successful I think this kind of sentiment needs to be supressed. Sad but ultimately true I think :-\
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Rafa did want to keep Sammy Lee as well - club offered him double his salary to stay but the FA had already offered him a job he really fancied.

Rush, McAuley, Miller

I can understand your point, both from the historic and parochial perspectives, but surely its about getting the right people in first and foremost?

That all sums it up pretty well. Rafa, the club and the FA all identifed Sammy as a talent but unfortunately for us, the FA job was more attractive to him.

I really don't think we should be employing ex-players just to pacify a few fans. We would all love to see the club being managed by through and through reds but we have to accept that there are not many who are good enough to do the job.

Remember a lot of the recent players are either plying their trade in the lower divisions (e.g. McMahon, Wright), and not interested in "lesser" coaching roles, or are not involved in coaching at all.

I don't think we should just employ someone (like we did with Thommo) or a "friendly-face" as it were.

We have to trust in Rafa now, let him mould his playing and coaching staff the way he knows best, I think he's already realised what it means to be at this club and what the fans and the club want.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
We need someone who knows Liverpool on the coaching staff. Personally I'd go with Tommy Smith.
Is this a joke?

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
Considering a large percentage of our squad is from the continent, having a mis of foreign and "local" is best?
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee

Where's Roger when you need him ?

My idea wasn't that bad after all, eh ?   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Id love Gary Mac in some kind of coaching role
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline J-PH

• I wanna take you to a Gay Bar, Gay Bar.
  • Legacy Fan
  • www.spiritofshankly.com
I honestly believe appointing me in some sort of coaching/advisory/handing out the bibs during training role would benefit the club no end.

Offline Coyney

• Anny Roader
He has got who he feels comfortable with he needs the freedom of choice rafa will choose correctly and whoever comes in, as long as the benefit the club i am happy. It cant just be about having the great legends in we have to think of whats best for the club and as i admit i will greatly miss thommo and sammy and would love to see a scouser if there isnt oine coming in then we will av to get on with it.
O danny boy

Offline Obstructed-View

• Anny Roader
  • Bring back the Rialto
I was discussing this very thing with one of our esteemed Liverpool hackney cab drivers the other day and he reckoned there should be no problem as in his experience most people in Liverpool start talking Spanish anyway,  usually after midnight and up to 4am.  ;)
Protected by no European flag tho' Champion of all.

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
Rush, McAuley, Miller

Has Rush signed a full time deal?

McAuley and Miller aren't on the 1st team coaching staff last time I looked.

Is this a joke?

Na it ain't. Why would it be? What's wrong with the idea of Tommy Smith being apart of our coaching staff?

My idea wasn't that bad after all, eh ?   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

;D

In theory it wasn't a bad idea, but in theory communism works.
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'