Author Topic: PL: Brighton 3 v Liverpool 0 March 46', 52', Welbeck 81  (Read 50140 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Brighton 3 v Liverpool 0 March 46', 52', Welbeck 81
« Reply #1200 on: January 15, 2023, 02:34:14 pm »
I would say a club's ceiling is primarily dictated by its ownership model. Klopp managed to smash through the glass ceiling of FSG's sell-to-buy policy. However, that overachievement was always likely to be unsustainable. Look at the likes of City and Newcastle their ceiling has clearly been raised by their state-owned business model.

Watching the game yesterday I would say that Brighton's team currently has a higher ceiling than ours. They have a young hugely talented team with an average age of just over 25. They will also be getting a huge boost in revenues. Both in terms of an increase in TV revenues and more importantly a seismic change in profits from player trading.

Their last accounts were published in 2022. At that time they had made a combined player trading profit of £15m for the previous five seasons. Since then they have sold the likes of White, Burn, Cucarella, Maupay and Bissouma for around £175m. They also have a team full of saleable assets, one of the best recruitment teams on the planet and an owner prepared to invest in his business.

The likelihood is that we are facing a huge loss from not qualifying for the Champions League plus a glaring need to embark on a huge rebuilding program. We have an aging squad, especially in midfield, few saleable assets, a recruitment team that is falling apart and owners looking to sell.

As bizarre as it sounds until FSG sells then in the short term from a football perspective then Brighton may have a higher ceiling than us. I certainly wouldn't be confident in backing us to finish above them this season. Would you mate ?

Id argue against the full saleable assets thing. We could still get great money for the likes of Aliison , Konate, Trent, Diaz, Jota and even Nunez.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1201 on: January 15, 2023, 02:37:48 pm »
Id argue against the full saleable assets thing. We could still get great money for the likes of Aliison , Konate, Trent, Diaz, Jota and even Nunez.
But that's not the mentality of an ambitious team. You keep your best players and add to that.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #1202 on: January 15, 2023, 02:37:51 pm »
I would say a club's ceiling is primarily dictated by its ownership model. Klopp managed to smash through the glass ceiling of FSG's sell-to-buy policy. However, that overachievement was always likely to be unsustainable. Look at the likes of City and Newcastle their ceiling has clearly been raised by their state-owned business model.

Watching the game yesterday I would say that Brighton's team currently has a higher ceiling than ours. They have a young hugely talented team with an average age of just over 25. They will also be getting a huge boost in revenues. Both in terms of an increase in TV revenues and more importantly a seismic change in profits from player trading.

Their last accounts were published in 2022. At that time they had made a combined player trading profit of £15m for the previous five seasons. Since then they have sold the likes of White, Burn, Cucarella, Maupay and Bissouma for around £175m. They also have a team full of saleable assets, one of the best recruitment teams on the planet and an owner prepared to invest in his business.

The likelihood is that we are facing a huge loss from not qualifying for the Champions League plus a glaring need to embark on a huge rebuilding program. We have an aging squad, especially in midfield, few saleable assets, a recruitment team that is falling apart and owners looking to sell.

As bizarre as it sounds until FSG sells then in the short term from a football perspective then Brighton may have a higher ceiling than us. I certainly wouldn't be confident in backing us to finish above them this season. Would you mate ?
I mean most of what you said is right, but surely it’s easier for Brighton to work the way they do?
They themselves like us are sell to buy. Problem is they sell there valuable assets.

We can’t do that unless we wanted to sell Salah, Alisson, VVD and Diaz to our rivals.
That’s the problem with FSG owning us. They’d be best of selling us and buying another European team, who’s ambitions isn’t to compete with the elite.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1203 on: January 15, 2023, 02:39:22 pm »
I mean most of what you said is right, but surely it’s easier for Brighton to work the way they do?
They themselves like us are sell to buy. Problem is they sell there valuable assets.

We can’t do that unless we wanted to sell Salah, Alisson, VVD and Diaz to our rivals.
That’s the problem with FSG owning us. They’d be best of selling us and buying another European team, who’s ambitions isn’t to compete with the elite.
A terrible season for us would be a historic season for Brighton. No point comparing.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #1204 on: January 15, 2023, 02:39:38 pm »
We could but then we are not competing. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world, not Southampton.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #1205 on: January 15, 2023, 02:39:44 pm »
I don't like that. I know we live in a different age now but just do your talking on the pitch lads.

It’s pathetic in all honesty
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #1206 on: January 15, 2023, 02:41:35 pm »
A terrible season for us would be a historic season for Brighton. No point comparing.
They isn’t, apart from the football played and the owners want to run us like Brighton.

Problem is a terrible season for us, sets us back so far from what we want.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1207 on: January 15, 2023, 02:42:50 pm »

They are our future though. Our successful period came about from being able to generate player trading profits whilst only really selling one core player in Coutinho. We sold largely fringe players and then invested that money wisely.

Unfortunately the players we should be looking to offload are likely to return almost nothing from player sales. Our recruitment team has fallen apart. The major problem for me though is that a lack of planning has meant we have real issues looming with the number of homegrown players we have, especially in midfield.

We face losing the likes of Ox, Hendo and Milner plus there are huge question marks over the likes of Jones, Elliott and Carvalho. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1208 on: January 15, 2023, 02:45:27 pm »
They are our future though. Our successful period came about from being able to generate player trading profits whilst only really selling one core player in Coutinho. We sold largely fringe players and then invested that money wisely.

Unfortunately the players we should be looking to offload are likely to return almost nothing from player sales. Our recruitment team has fallen apart. The major problem for me though is that a lack of planning has meant we have real issues looming with the number of homegrown players we have, especially in midfield.

We face losing the likes of Ox, Hendo and Milner plus there are huge question marks over the likes of Jones, Elliott and Carvalho. 

I always found the situation where we let players leave for free a bit mad. At the time, some shite was spouted about amortisation and the cost of keeping players and letting their contract run being value for money. Obviously when times are good you accept what people say and think they know their stuff.

Really though, I think its been shite for us. How does a club which aims to self sustain and raise money for transfer spending have good sense in letting players run down their contract?

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1209 on: January 15, 2023, 02:54:42 pm »
We could but then we are not competing. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world, not Southampton.

There was a 6 year spell where we sold Alonso/Mascherano/Torres/Sterling and Suarez for big money. Good thing about the Klopp era is we'd lost that tag of being a selling club, even if we had to sell squad assets and scrimp and save to sign anyone. Coutinho being the exception and his sale basically built a title and CL winning spine and under FSG that's what it'd take again but you can't rely on doing that again.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1210 on: January 15, 2023, 02:59:28 pm »
I always found the situation where we let players leave for free a bit mad. At the time, some shite was spouted about amortisation and the cost of keeping players and letting their contract run being value for money. Obviously when times are good you accept what people say and think they know their stuff.

Really though, I think its been shite for us. How does a club which aims to self sustain and raise money for transfer spending have good sense in letting players run down their contract?

The biggest flaw with sell-to-buy is that you are doing things in reverse. If you want to move players on while they have a significant transfer value, you need to bring in their replacement first. A good example would be being able to sell Mane because we had signed Diaz.

We end up letting players run their deals down because we aren't proactive. The midfield at the moment is a perfect example. We have ended up renewing deals because we have had little choice. It seems highly likely that FSG are unwilling to recruit the required quality of player until we get the likes of Ox, Keita and Milner off the books.

The issue though is that those players, wrongly for me have been vital members of the squad. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1211 on: January 15, 2023, 03:00:03 pm »
There's a big difference with our players who have given their all for the shirt and won the lot!

I don't see how this makes much of a difference with regard to what I said. I don't want to see their apologies all over Twitter or other social media platforms when they lose a game. Remain silent and try and fix this mess between yourselves in training and when you take to the pitch to play a game.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #1212 on: January 15, 2023, 03:06:40 pm »

But if we are to rebuild them are the players needed to form the back bone. We need the rebuilding to start with 3 new midfielders.
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1213 on: January 15, 2023, 03:08:18 pm »
But if we are to rebuild them are the players needed to form the back bone. We need the rebuilding to start with 3 new midfielders.

Yep but they are sellable assets. I dont agree we are a club with very few of them.

To be honest if money is tight we may need to sell. Id start with the likes of Elliott, Jones, Kellaher and Gomez first though.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #1214 on: January 15, 2023, 03:11:13 pm »
I think that'll do us all for now. There are other threads (back) open to discuss what appears to be the trend this afternoon. A torrid day yesterday, a massive hangover today, we've locked post-match threads more quickly than this before.......so now we look forward to Wolves......

Reminder - anyone looking to try their hand at live match commentary, drop me a line. We're recruiting.