Author Topic: 2022 Charity Shield v Man City: Sat 30 July: @ Leicester's 32K King Power ground  (Read 5709 times)

Offline shayne66

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
It is, but it was always a chance for fans who normally miss out on tickets to finals, and who can't get to see us regularly at Anfield, to get to see us at Wembley. I think Cardiff would have been a good option for this.

I'd not want to see it at Old Trafford. I doubt they'd want both their biggest rivals and their noisy neighbours in their ground together. Also, it would bring hordes of Manc scumbags out to pick off families, lone Reds and scarfers.

see, i had a quick think when this was announced and thought that Old Trafford would have been ideal given the two clubs involved for size and proximity. But am guessing you've made a great point about been a target for (some) Manc idiots.

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
In fairness you have to say they did a pretty good job in fucking over the fans. Probably only the worst choice they could have come up with.

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
  • Doubters into believers
I can't find anything for why it couldn't be in Manchester, but Birmingham is out due to the Commonwealth games starting that weekend.

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
It is, but it was always a chance for fans who normally miss out on tickets to finals, and who can't get to see us regularly at Anfield, to get to see us at Wembley. I think Cardiff would have been a good option for this.

I'd not want to see it at Old Trafford. I doubt they'd want both their biggest rivals and their noisy neighbours in their ground together. Also, it would bring hordes of Manc scumbags out to pick off families, lone Reds and scarfers.

Nearest Manchester has ever been likened to Paris.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Any early team news?

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Just shows how shockingly bad Football administration is at the moment.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
What a bizarre choice. Villa Park has a track record, is bigger and easier to get to. Likewise Elland Road.

Offline bennoman57

• Kemlynite
The way fans have been treated since lock down ended, the F A Cup semi disaster and the Paris nightmare could not both sets of supporters just for once unite and boycott this match.  This is the only way supporters will be listened to.  It is hard I know to ask people to miss a competitive game but this is not.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Even Ewood Park would have made more sense than Leicester, Bolton is not much smaller either, joke selection
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
The way fans have been treated since lock down ended, the F A Cup semi disaster and the Paris nightmare could not both sets of supporters just for once unite and boycott this match.  This is the only way supporters will be listened to.  It is hard I know to ask people to miss a competitive game but this is not.

I really do not know why people bother going to this one aside from those who never see the team or live in the South East, I cannot recall any past winners of the charity shield and we never count it in any trophy count, are we bothered if we lose? Practice match only.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I really do not know why people bother going to this one aside from those who never see the team or live in the South East, I cannot recall any past winners of the charity shield and we never count it in any trophy count, are we bothered if we lose? Practice match only.

They were brill when they were at Cardiff. Great weekends away.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me

I went to the liverpool everton one at Wembley 86

Heath scored with 10 mins left and rushy equalised with 3 left

Nothing else stays in the mind.
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf

I went to the one in 1974 and, through a drunken haze, saw 2 Keegans and 3 Bremners sent off before I attempted the Tube journey back to Wimbledon.  Still not sure what happened to the other 4 who went with me.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I went to the one in 1974 and, through a drunken haze, saw 2 Keegans and 3 Bremners sent off before I attempted the Tube journey back to Wimbledon.  Still not sure what happened to the other 4 who went with me.

😂 love it

I think their was a scrap in mine between molby and Ratcliffe. Not quite as viscious mind

Jurgen Klopp

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.

I always remember the 4-3 loss to Leeds in 1992. Cantona hat-trick. 🤮 Strachan scored a bizarre own goal for us right at the death. Boiling hot day it was.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I always remember the 4-3 loss to Leeds in 1992. Cantona hat-trick. 🤮 Strachan scored a bizarre own goal for us right at the death. Boiling hot day it was.

Ah yeah he dribbled it in while guarding the back post from a corner

He was about 65 then 😂

Jurgen Klopp

Offline 77kop05

• Anny Roader
They were brill when they were at Cardiff. Great weekends away.

Yep have to agree.The 2001 one under the roof against the mancs was a great day out ! As was 2006 v Chelsea although think they only sold about half their allocation that day.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals

Remember thinking then Liverpool wouldn't be challenging for the title that season. That game alone showed me enough.

Offline 77kop05

• Anny Roader
My last game before the family moved to Ireland was the 1982 Chairty Shield. Some experience as a 11 year old seeing the carnage all around with Spurs in our end that day.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Remember thinking then Liverpool wouldn't be challenging for the title that season. That game alone showed me enough.

Leeds were even worse that season, didn’t win away all season I think!

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
It's not the first time we've played the Charity Shield in Leicester. But our fanbase has grown a bit since.

And the last time any Charity Shield crowd was small enough to fit in Kings Power stadium was 1973 Burnley vs City played at Maine Road in front of just 23,998.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2022, 11:50:37 am by Billy Elliot »
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's not the first time we've played the Charity Shield in Leicester. But our fanbase has grown a bit since.

And the last time any Charity Shield crowd was small enough to fit in Kings Power stadium was 1973 Burnley vs City played at Maine Road in front of just 23,998.
Traffic problems probably.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
Traffic problems probably.

It was played Monday afternoon. ;)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Murrayfield in Edinburgh would have been an excellent venue. 67,500 and a wonderful city to visit.

They wanted it somewhere City would fill their allocation.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Oddbod

• Kopite
I think the FA or whoever approached numerous clubs but with the new season so close to the game (and some with having summer concerts) all of the other pitches will be either not there or just been re laid which is why Leicester's ground has been chosen

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
This has to be a wind up….King Power stadium!!!!. It’s one of the smallest in the country. OT???  Only the FA could arrange this madness….. or UEFA…or FIFA. 
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
Spot on.

The last of the UEFA Nations League Group Stage games this Summer in on 14th June.

Liverpool's pre-season starts on 4th July. The first round of Premier League games are on the 6th August (Charity Shield for us on the 30th July).

Then the league stops on 13/14 November - ready for the World Cup in Qatar (21st November to 18th December) - and the league re-starts on the 26th December.

The final round of league matches are scheduled to be on 28th May. 2023 CL Final in on 10th June. The FA are thinking of having the FA Cup Final on 3rd June.

Will be interesting to see how it affects city. Off the top of my head Matip, Robertson, Keita, Milner, Salah and Diaz will get essentially a mid season break from competitive football. Gomez too although probably beneficial for him to play. I'm sure there'll be a lot of work going into how to utilise that time best, from a sports science perspective
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan

Filbert Street was a bit of a dump and had a smaller capacity.  That said, King Power Stadium was clearly done on the cheap and is about the worst of the "new" grounds I've been to (I've not been to the USM Bramley Moore Dock stadium yet...).  Judging by the money their current owners have invested into training facilities I think they would have built a much better stadium - one suitable for hosting the Charity Shield!

Offline BigCDump

• Legacy Fan
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
I'll be surprised if City and us play this game with even a third of our first teamers. Pep sacrificed an FA Cup semi final for another PL title, which he just managed to win, FFS. :lmao

And most of our players will probably still be playing internationals until 30th June.  >:( I hope we have a kind opening set of PL fixtures.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
Filbert Street was a bit of a dump and had a smaller capacity.  That said, King Power Stadium was clearly done on the cheap and is about the worst of the "new" grounds I've been to (I've not been to the USM Bramley Moore Dock stadium yet...).  Judging by the money their current owners have invested into training facilities I think they would have built a much better stadium - one suitable for hosting the Charity Shield!

Filbert Street was a dump but I went in 86 when Oxford beat Everton the same night. That was one of the best aways ever.

I think King Power could be big enough. Moving it to Wembley in 74 elevated the Charity Shield to a "glorified" friendly, with far bigger crowds. Before that, it really was just a friendly. I assume Arsenal were invited in 1971, but it ended up the FA Cup runners up vs the Second Division champions.

Move it away from Wembley and it's back to just being a friendly again.

For a lot of people the Charity Shield is a day out in London and a chance for the kids to see Wembley. But now it's a day out in Leicester, in July. I reckon quite a few can't be arsed with it.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2022, 10:43:27 am by Billy Elliot »
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!