Author Topic: FAO self employed people or similar  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Egg

• zackerley the QP Bootboy
  • Legacy Fan
FAO self employed people or similar
« on: July 20, 2004, 12:52:11 pm »
Where if any do you get your business cards printed and how much do you pay for them?

Offline Emmy

• Anyone got a crate for sale?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: FAO self employed people or similar
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 12:57:39 pm »
Have a look in the local business telephone directory. Often small independant printers will do you relatively small print runs of 250 or so.

I think some photographic shops may also offer a business card printing service.

Have seen machines that print them at Motorway Servcies, if you're in a real hurry for some.

:wave
It would be rude not to...

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 05:48:58 pm »
Where if any do you get your business cards printed and how much do you pay for them?
Getting some made for the telephone boxes are you boy? ;)
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 05:54:54 pm »
rizla papers and a biro. 'Bout 25p for 50  :P

there's a cheap (for short runs) company in America which ships these sorts of things over very quick... www.vistaprint.com - not sure about the business card costs but there postcards are reasonable, + you can get free business cards if you buy a certain amount of postcards. Problem is they put their printed by www.vistaprint.com on the back if that niggles. Does me - it's in v. small print tho.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 05:57:45 pm by rob_filler »

Offline KarlB

• Model Citizen
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 06:08:44 pm »
check out Aubergine in Nottingham.

they charge about 30 quid for full colour laminated cards. I've used them for clients, they are very good, no good for me because I use metallics and specific pantone colours a lot, but straight 4/4 they are excellent for.
kiss my heighway

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
going from self-employed back into employment
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:40:11 am »
I've have been working for myself and family business for the last 5 years or so but i've now hit a few cash/tax problems and I'm going to be short of income for the next 6 months or so. the family business (my main income) is being sold next month so I'm pretty much buggered for a wage/rent/food etc.

I'm having to consider getting another job to make ends meet. has anyone here gone from self-employed back to being employed? I don't really have any work experience with employers, don't really know any kind of trade. I'm practically starting out in my late 20s. anyone got any advice about how to start a new career?

Offline leighton

• adopter of peasants, spelling mistakes are the iPads fault - obviously.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter @smee05
Re: going from self-employed back into employment
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 07:45:18 am »
what can you do?
any positives / negatives?
Everton fc, the slogans club. More slogans than trophies - now available in pink.

Offline The Mrs

• is smashing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ex
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 12:40:49 pm »
What did you do in your self-employed job. It's all about the selling yourself to a new employer. I'm sure you know some kind of 'trade', everyone does!
xxx
Most definitely DID NOT start this whole skin wearing malarky!!

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 11:49:49 pm »
I done it, and in a lot of ways it was a big relief.

Though I was lucky - I was self employed in something it was fairly easy to get a job with (just got a job with my biggest customer). That's what I'd  advise-  despite what you think - you're not without talents or need to start from scratch - just look for work doing what you have been doing - and, as I did - enjoy walking out that door at 5.30 every day, carefree, weekends to do as you please, not having to spend the last weekend in january fucking about with tax returns and so on.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline coffeehead

• A Lack Of Real Spice In His Life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 04:23:14 am »
I've have been working for myself and family business for the last 5 years or so but i've now hit a few cash/tax problems and I'm going to be short of income for the next 6 months or so. the family business (my main income) is being sold next month so I'm pretty much buggered for a wage/rent/food etc.

I'm having to consider getting another job to make ends meet. has anyone here gone from self-employed back to being employed? I don't really have any work experience with employers, don't really know any kind of trade. I'm practically starting out in my late 20s. anyone got any advice about how to start a new career?
*shudder*

The idea of going back into regular 9-5 (if only) employment fills me with dread.

Nidge's points notwithstanding (esp the last week of January - yuck) I'd prefer never having to work for anyone else again

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Self-employed Rawkites? FAO you lot
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 09:01:29 pm »
Howdy,

My missus asked her employer about the possibility of working from home and was told she could possibly but she may need to become
self-employed to work in a sort of consultancy capacity or something along those lines.

Anyway long story short we're/she's trying to weigh up what's involved and how to go about if she is to go down that road.

I found some useful guides online such as this one: https://www.axa.co.uk/business-insurance/business-guardian-angel/going-self-employed/

I realise she needs to essentially set up her own company and do her own taxes but is it best to do so as a sole trader or...?
Just wondering if someone could give some first hand advice on the pros and cons or dos and dont's of getting started and if you have anything helpful to add that would be appreciated.

Or feel free to PM me if you'd be happy for me to bounce a few questions. Cheers  :wave
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Self-employed Rawkites? FAO you lot
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 09:57:16 pm »
Why would she need to be self employed? Absolutely loads of businesses work that way where they are still employees.

She'd have no job security. They could fuck her off in an instant.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 10:54:07 pm »
Cant see any reason why she’d have to change. The business can either support remote working or they can’t. Many companies support remote working and it has benefits for the employers too.

I wouldn’t recommend going self employed for the reasons Craig mentioned

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 10:56:49 pm »
Without knowing the business/industry (so there could be valid reasons, I guess) it screams of a company thinking they can shift employees to self employed without the need for payouts or massive issues. That way they can try to minimise costs and leave themselves the option to fucking off anyone without any comeback, or limiting work to literally as and when they have it rather than having X amount of full time employees.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 11:30:09 pm »
You need to google IR35. Fall foul of that and you could be much worse off.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 08:09:59 am »
I went from full time office to full time remote and didn't have any of this bollocks. What's the reason for saying she needs to become self employed?

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 09:57:38 am »
Thanks for the replies folks.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 03:18:18 pm »
You need to google IR35. Fall foul of that and you could be much worse off.

Just ask lardy-arsed cockwomble, Eamonn Holmes!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 03:47:18 pm »
Think the bloke is making things up. If the company supports remote working, you don't need to be self-employed. It's down to the manager if he/she will allow it but thats about it.

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 09:22:53 pm »
self employed is only for the fit and strong. you dont work, you dont eat. im self employed and have never had a sick day in 20 years. unless you are in a trade where you can rake it in, or a tech programming genius, then forget about it. do you know what i woud love in my life, some paid holidays.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 11:43:14 pm »
Just ask lardy-arsed cockwomble, lardy-arsed cockwomble, Eamonn Holmes!
20140925-154346" border="0

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 11:52:53 pm »
I need to know the rest of the Clint story

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2020, 11:56:10 pm »
Howdy,

My missus asked her employer about the possibility of working from home and was told she could possibly but she may need to become
self-employed to work in a sort of consultancy capacity or something along those lines.

Anyway long story short we're/she's trying to weigh up what's involved and how to go about if she is to go down that road.

I found some useful guides online such as this one: https://www.axa.co.uk/business-insurance/business-guardian-angel/going-self-employed/

I realise she needs to essentially set up her own company and do her own taxes but is it best to do so as a sole trader or...?
Just wondering if someone could give some first hand advice on the pros and cons or dos and dont's of getting started and if you have anything helpful to add that would be appreciated.

Or feel free to PM me if you'd be happy for me to bounce a few questions. Cheers  :wave
Dear Phil,

Really sorry to say this mate, but some key flags in there tell me she's on the game. Pimp blogging in the first paragraph,  working the steets the next, my heart bleeds like a sodden jam rag for ye mate.
I hope for you both, and you especially,  you can move above this level of financial income(excuse the pun-ter) and seek progress to a more god fairing lifestyle.

Thoughts and prayers

CHOPPER

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:58:27 pm by CHOPPER »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 09:04:02 am »
Anyone else here work through a limited company? My current client who I’ve worked the past 6 months for has decided that they will be placing contractors inside IR35. I disagree but I will leaving as a result. Anyone else in the same boat? There are contractors who have worked here for 10+ years who are now facing a huge backdated tax bill due to this.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2020, 04:39:55 pm »
Anyone else here work through a limited company? My current client who I’ve worked the past 6 months for has decided that they will be placing contractors inside IR35. I disagree but I will leaving as a result. Anyone else in the same boat? There are contractors who have worked here for 10+ years who are now facing a huge backdated tax bill due to this.

I can't see how any contractor is expecting a backdated tax bill. The change in the IR35 legislation is such that for private sector employers, the decision as to whether a contractor is captured by the provisions now shifts to them and as of April 2020, they will be required to account for PAYE and class 1 NICs on the contractor day rate.

I have not seen anything about a 'retrospective effect' whereby HMRC look back over past income paid on a contractor basis and assess the contractor and indeed, if the employer gets the IR35 status wrong as of April 2020, the penalties and retrospective PAYE/NICs is theirs to pay, not the contractor.

Working in the industry, I have seen many big businesses take the blanket view that all contractors must come on the payroll or leave. It is too complicated and burdensome to assess each contractor case on its own merits.

My own view is that the golden days of contracting and paying low tax are over and you may find that going elsewhere only sees you find the same thing at your next employer.

One the main tests that HMRC apply in determining IR35 status is whether you have the right/ability to send a substitute. For one man band operations, this is exceptionally unlikely to be the case and you fail the test at the first hurdle (before thinking about direction, right to work own hours, provision of own tools/equipment, working on multiple clients etc.)

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 03:42:37 pm »
I can't see how any contractor is expecting a backdated tax bill. The change in the IR35 legislation is such that for private sector employers, the decision as to whether a contractor is captured by the provisions now shifts to them and as of April 2020, they will be required to account for PAYE and class 1 NICs on the contractor day rate.

I have not seen anything about a 'retrospective effect' whereby HMRC look back over past income paid on a contractor basis and assess the contractor and indeed, if the employer gets the IR35 status wrong as of April 2020, the penalties and retrospective PAYE/NICs is theirs to pay, not the contractor.

Working in the industry, I have seen many big businesses take the blanket view that all contractors must come on the payroll or leave. It is too complicated and burdensome to assess each contractor case on its own merits.

My own view is that the golden days of contracting and paying low tax are over and you may find that going elsewhere only sees you find the same thing at your next employer.

One the main tests that HMRC apply in determining IR35 status is whether you have the right/ability to send a substitute. For one man band operations, this is exceptionally unlikely to be the case and you fail the test at the first hurdle (before thinking about direction, right to work own hours, provision of own tools/equipment, working on multiple clients etc.)
Firstly, any blanket approach by a firm will result in sanctioning from HMRC as it is not allowed.

Secondly with regards to ‘retrospective effect’ if all of a sudden you are deemed as inside IR35 then you are deemed to have been inside for the whole of the contract so should have been paying tax as per an employee would have done beforehand.