Author Topic: 1984  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Beef

• Jerky
  • Legacy Fan
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:44:10 pm »
Just wondering if anyone here has read this?

I started reading it last week, well I was going to read it on the plane/holiday but couldn't read more than about 80 pages because there was too much to do so I have been reading more today and it seems like a good book.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
Re: 1984
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 11:46:52 pm »
Just wondering if anyone here has read this?

I started reading it last week, well I was going to read it on the plane/holiday but couldn't read more than about 80 pages because there was too much to do so I have been reading more today and it seems like a good book.

It's a classic but there is a dedicated books thread. you need to read this next
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Beef

• Jerky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 11:56:43 pm »
Everytime I make a topic something goes wrong. :butt

Never knew there was a books thread.

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 11:58:53 pm »
Everytime I make a topic something goes wrong. :butt

Never knew there was a books thread.
aye

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=38831.920
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 12:13:36 am »
Yeah it's an absolute cracker. 1984 was a great year, too ;)

Offline polared

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 12:22:31 am »
did´nt you have to read this in school as part of English lit... oh shit, just looked at your profile, sad, 16 yrs old (not your fault mate). the book is a classic both in terms of a political satire and as a literately masterpiece, it was part of the curriculum at 14 when i was a wee nipper, what the fuck is goin on nowadays. read, think, expand.arlarse, out

must not post when i´m pissed
must not post when i´m pisst
musht nah pist when am post

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 12:37:49 am »
oh and you gotta read animal farm too, it'll take you about half a day if that

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 12:45:17 am »
did´nt you have to read this in school as part of English lit... oh shit, just looked at your profile, sad, 16 yrs old (not your fault mate). the book is a classic both in terms of a political satire and as a literately masterpiece, it was part of the curriculum at 14 when i was a wee nipper, what the fuck is goin on nowadays. read, think, expand.arlarse, out

Wasn't on the curriculum when went through school, but Animal Farm was. Apart from that and the GCSE poems, all our set texts were utter shite.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 12:54:34 am »
1984 was one of my set books in sixth form - and one that I actually enjoyed. My English teacher systematically destroyed any possible liking I could have had for Handmaid's Tale by Atwood, but fortunately this book was so good even he couldn't quell my enjoyment of it.

Shame I don't have a copy - been meaning to pick one up for ages, too. Ah well, I'll see if I can nick one off me parents when I go home on Thursday! :)

Animal Farm is tops, too :)

Quick author quiz for you - where did George get his pseudonym from?

pick one up in practically any second hand bookshop for less than £2

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 12:56:37 am »
Orwell is a river in Norfolk or somewhere but I don't know about the George.

I heard the answer to this not long ago but I can't remember!

Offline polared

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 01:13:21 am »
but Animal Farm was.

must have been that the real 1984 was getting close when i was a school then, trendy fuckin shites those english teachers. oh fuck it and fuck them, just read philip k dick, gene wolfe and jack vance as well as.
must not post when i´m pissed
must not post when i´m pisst
musht nah pist when am post

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 02:22:44 am »
Animal Farm is tops, too :)
My favourite book ever... :)

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 08:12:01 am »
Animal Farm was brilliant. Didn't think the film adaption did it justice though. I really don't remember I guy running around with a chicken on his knob in the book. ???

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 11:57:16 am »
Animal Farm was brilliant. Didn't think the film adaption did it justice though. I really don't remember I guy running around with a chicken on his knob in the book. ???

you read the abridged version?

:lmao

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 12:23:32 pm »
You dont have read to it mate just walk outside and look around you.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 12:39:19 pm »
You dont have read to it mate just walk outside and look around you.

What to see a man fucking a chicken?

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 04:56:57 pm »

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 06:50:40 pm »
Classic book. I read it last summer and thought it was fantastic. Also read the similar-ish Brave New World which is superb.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2021, 09:40:23 am »
One of my favourite books, which scared the bejesus out of me as a teenager. Mad that I see elements of the original creep up in modern society every now and then.

Feminist retelling of Nineteen Eighty-Four approved by Orwell’s estate
American writer Sandra Newman’s novel Julia will tell the dystopian story from the perspective of Winston Smith’s lover

The estate of George Orwell has approved a feminist retelling of Nineteen Eighty-Four, which reimagines the story from the perspective of Winston Smith’s lover Julia.

Opening with one of literature’s most famous lines – “It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen” – Orwell’s 1949 novel is set in a dystopian future where Great Britain, known as Airstrip One, is part of the totalitarian state of Oceania. Big Brother rules supreme and the Thought Police stamp out any individual thinking. Winston Smith works at The Ministry of Truth, rewriting history to suit Big Brother’s narrative. He starts a forbidden affair with Julia – who works on the novel-writing machines in the Fiction Department - until both are captured and sent for re-education via Room 101.

In Julia by Sandra Newman, the incidents of Nineteen Eighty-Four are seen through the woman’s eyes. “It was the man from Records who began it, him all unknowing in his prim, grim way, his above-it-all oldthink way. He was the one Syme called ‘Old Misery’,” writes Newman. “Comrade Smith was his right name, though ‘Comrade’ never suited him somehow. Of course, if you felt foolish calling someone ‘Comrade’, far better not to speak to them at all.”

Publisher Granta said that Julia understands the world of Oceania “far better than Winston and is essentially happy with her life”. As Orwell puts it in Nineteen Eighty-Four, “in some ways she was far more acute than Winston, and far less susceptible to Party propaganda … She also stirred a sort of envy in him by telling him that during the Two Minutes Hate her great difficulty was to avoid bursting out laughing. But she only questioned the teachings of the Party when they in some way touched upon her own life. Often she was ready to accept the official mythology, simply because the difference between truth and falsehood did not seem important to her.”

“She has known no other world and, until she meets Winston, never imagined one. She’s opportunistic, believing in nothing and caring not at all about politics. She routinely breaks the rules but also collaborates with the regime whenever necessary. She’s an ideal citizen of Oceania,” said Granta. “But when one day, finding herself walking toward Winston Smith in a long corridor, she impulsively hands him a note – a potentially suicidal gesture – she comes to realise that she’s losing her grip and can no longer safely navigate her world.”

Orwell’s estate said it had been “looking for some time” for an author to tell the story of Smith’s lover, and that Newman, who has previously been longlisted for the Women’s prize and shortlisted for the Guardian first book award, “proved to be the perfect fit”.

Granta added that “Richard Blair, Orwell’s son, has been consulted and approves of the project”.

“Two of the unanswered questions in Orwell’s novel are what Julia sees in Winston, and how she has navigated her way through the party hierarchy. Sandra gets under the skin of Big Brother’s world in a completely convincing way which is both true to the original but also gives a dramatically different narrative to stand alongside the original,” said the estate’s literary executor Bill Hamilton. “The millions of readers who have been brought up with Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four will find this a provocative and satisfying companion.”

Julia will be published after Granta releases Newman’s new novel The Men – in which every single person with a Y chromosome vanishes from the world – next June. It is the latest in a series of feminist retellings of classic stories, from Natalie Haynes’s reimagining of the Trojan war A Thousand Ships, and Pat Barker’s The Silence of the Girls, a version of the Iliad from the perspective of Briseis, to Maggie O’Farrell’s Hamnet, which centres on the life of Shakespeare’s wife, and Jeet Thayil’s Names of the Women, which tells the stories of 15 women whose lives overlapped with Jesus.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/dec/07/feminist-retelling-of-nineteen-eighty-four-approved-by-orwells-estate
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2021, 10:05:12 am »
It's the greatest piece of literature in modern history. From the first sentence it's building a tangible, recognisable world upon which to hang the dystopia.

I read it annually.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2021, 11:52:39 am »
Not read.. but I did live it..

Spoiler
A treble...great year...dunno what Orwell was moaning about [\spoiler]
[close]