Author Topic: 1917  (Read 921 times)

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« on: December 9, 2019, 04:32:40 pm »
Same Mendes director - generally like his stuff - Road to Perdition, American Beauty, his Bond movies.

This one is getting a lot of critic buzz, has already won some cinematography awards, nominations, all that jazz. Supposedly made to look like one big take. Tommen actor from GOT is one of the 2 main characters. The other is the oldest son from Captain Fantastic (excellent movie btw, if you haven't seen it)  Looking forward to this one. Interested in WW1 history as material is not as familiar as WW2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcmZN0Mbl04

2nd trailer is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2u-YCcMzog
« Last Edit: December 9, 2019, 04:42:24 pm by stoopid yank »
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: 1917
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 02:29:31 pm »
The 1 take look of the film is going to be interesting. Last time I saw a film attempt that kind of setup was Birdman which I wasn't keen on. Thought making it look like it was all 1 take was jarring and forced to me.

Can't complain about the director and cast.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 02:47:38 pm »
Looks really good.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 03:44:57 am »
The Guardian wrote a rave review about it.

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm conscious that it's pretty hard to do something new in the genre, so for it to be impactful, it will have to be really special.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 10:28:06 pm »
The 1 take look of the film is going to be interesting. Last time I saw a film attempt that kind of setup was Birdman which I wasn't keen on. Thought making it look like it was all 1 take was jarring and forced to me.

Can't complain about the director and cast.

I loved birdman precisely because how fluid the one-shot style was. Each to their own.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 10:35:27 pm »
Positive reviews on this one.  Might check it out.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 12:06:53 am »
Can I just say, critics just can't resist a one shot take.

Any time at all you see a movie or a show with a one shot movie (or which look that way) - Russian Ark, Birdman, Son of Saul, or even a long single shot (e.g. True Detective Season 1 episode 4 - you know the one, Goodfellas when Jimmy makes his appearance) they absolutely shit themselves.