Author Topic: Premier League fixtures 17th-22nd June  (Read 92461 times)

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Re: Premier League fixtures 17th-22nd June
« Reply #3080 on: June 24, 2020, 08:37:26 am »
Good point re: the potentially awkward clash with "metoo" - I hadn't thought of that.

I also think the "too" in "Black Lives Matter Too" sounds too humble, like you're pleading for everyone to treat you as worthy of equality. By dropping the "too" you're saying we fucking matter, deal with it.
Yes I agree. There's a risk of it sounding too servile. Words are my business, so I've given this a fair bit of thought and discussed it with colleagues. There's no easy answer and it could have been done a different way. But just the fact that people might start nitpicking the chosen campaign name/slogan can itself be indicative of that conditionality and condescension that can exist so often in white --> black relations.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3081 on: June 24, 2020, 09:34:52 am »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #3082 on: June 24, 2020, 05:01:07 pm »
Good point re: the potentially awkward clash with "metoo" - I hadn't thought of that.

I also think the "too" in "Black Lives Matter Too" sounds too humble, like you're pleading for everyone to treat you as worthy of equality. By dropping the "too" you're saying we fucking matter, deal with it.

Although I don't personally agree, I think you make fair points there.

To be honest, there is nothing at all wrong with being humble. It's a great quality in people. Also, being aggressive in tone can alienate, and even buy straight into stereotypes others already have of you, thus actually detracting from your cause, however just that cause is. In life, I often find that aggression, be it verbal or physical, tends to be counter productive. It puts people on the defensive immediately. Whilst ''fuck you, we matter'' (my words, not yours) might be a very understandable attitude to hold, in practice it can work against you in the long run. Anything that alienates can undermine your message and your cause.

That's one reason why my personal mantra, long before all this kicked off, had always been that we all matter. I've never split it up into this group matters or that group matters. My humanistic approach has always been that we all matter, so that's what I've always said. Thing is, racists have hijacked that humanistic outlook and perverted it. Look at the gobshites who hired the plane that flew over the Burnley game. EDL scum, associates of Yaxley-Lennon, but now hiding behind the Reading atrocity as a shield and as justification for their White Lives Matter banner.

To me, humanity only truly moves on when we all realise that everyone matters, and it doesn't matter what colour, sex, sexuality religion etc you are. Before it was hijacked by scumbags, the most powerful message that could ever be put over on the subject of prejudice would have been that All Lives Matter, because it's a message that doesn't polarise. It's a message all decent, reasonable human beings can get behind. It's also a message that's extremely hard for racists to subvert, because to counter it they genuinely have to name their hate for what it is, rather than twist words then hide behind their interpretation. They would actually have to come out and state why they believe that certain sections of humanity matter less to them than others, and as is often the case with these gobshites, they hang themselves with their own words and actions if you give them enough rope.

But anyway, how people choose to fight their own battles is up to them. People have to do what they feel is right. We all have our own ways though. It doesn't matter what colour we are either, because prejudice comes in many forms and can affect us all to some extent. We are all in the battle in some way or other, and we all have to chose how we approach it. Personally, I choose to stick with my humanistic approach because it works, and stood beside me I have so many quality human beings who are part of the solution, and they come in all colours, backgrounds, sexualities etc. Of course, so does the BLM campaign. It's just that we differ a little in approach, that's all.

Regarding the plane that flew that banner, Burnley are looking to ban the hooligan group 'Suicide Squad'  ::) for life after they organised and funded it. Jake Hepple, of Colne, Lancs, one of the organisers, is unrepentant and has said ''I'd like to take this time to apologise ... to absolutely fucking nobody.''  :wanker
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:03:59 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #3083 on: June 24, 2020, 06:21:13 pm »

Regarding the plane that flew that banner, Burnley are looking to ban the hooligan group 'Suicide Squad'  ::) for life after they organised and funded it. Jake Hepple, of Colne, Lancs, one of the organisers, is unrepentant and has said ''I'd like to take this time to apologise ... to absolutely fucking nobody.''  :wanker

His girlfriend has been sacked from her job today for racist comments on social media. His work is investigating him too so I expect he'll be out of work soon as well. They sound a delightful couple.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3084 on: June 24, 2020, 06:46:00 pm »

His girlfriend has been sacked from her job today for racist comments on social media. His work is investigating him too so I expect he'll be out of work soon as well. They sound a delightful couple.

He has been sacked apparently.  https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-burnley-fan-behind-white-22246694

Quote from him:

"I'm not racist. I know people are trying to make out to be one but I'm not. I've got lots of black and Asian friends and this banner was actually inspired by the Black Lives Movement.

"We were not trying to offend the movement or black people.

"I believe that it's also important to acknowledge that white lives matter too. That's all we were trying to say."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 06:48:05 pm by arthur sarnoff »

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3085 on: June 24, 2020, 07:26:43 pm »
If you consider yourself not to be a racist wouldn't flying that banner scream at you that it IS racist?

The teeniest, tiniest scrap of intelligence would be saying don't do it cos that doesn't look good regardless.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3086 on: June 24, 2020, 07:53:11 pm »
If you consider yourself not to be a racist wouldn't flying that banner scream at you that it IS racist?

The teeniest, tiniest scrap of intelligence would be saying don't do it cos that doesn't look good regardless.

You'll be shocked to learn that the article features the totally not racist guy arm in arm with Yaxley-Lennon.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3087 on: June 24, 2020, 08:06:36 pm »
You'll be shocked to learn that the article features the totally not racist guy arm in arm with Yaxley-Lennon.
Not really mate. 

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3088 on: June 24, 2020, 11:06:56 pm »
Not really mate. 

No, I was being slightly sarcastic.

Offline Gaz75

• Kopite
« Reply #3089 on: June 24, 2020, 11:09:38 pm »

let's hope they haven't had children yet

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3090 on: June 24, 2020, 11:21:02 pm »

Definitely made for each other by the sound of it.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3091 on: June 24, 2020, 11:38:50 pm »
He has been sacked apparently.  https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-burnley-fan-behind-white-22246694

Quote from him:

"I'm not racist. I know people are trying to make out to be one but I'm not. I've got lots of black and Asian friends and this banner was actually inspired by the Black Lives Movement.

"We were not trying to offend the movement or black people.

"I believe that it's also important to acknowledge that white lives matter too. That's all we were trying to say."

His excuses there are utter shite. He's part of a gang of thugs who have links to the EDL. He's happy to be photographed with racist scumbag Yaxley-Lennon, and knew exactly what he/they were doing with this banner. He's trying to use what happened at Reading as justification for this banner, and that's disgusting in itself. Using one tragedy as a shield so he/they can subvert the message of those protesting over another tragedy is sick.

There are a million things they could have put on that banner if they wanted to say something supportive and productive, but no, they chose that instead. That's either monumental levels of stupidity or monumental levels of scumbaggery.  Then again, maybe it's both?

It's also telling that if you read the comments section below that story, the people supporting him also clearly exhibit racist attitudes.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 11:48:52 pm by Son of Spion* »

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #3092 on: June 24, 2020, 11:55:24 pm »
This is a good long read about how ‘normal’ lads can get caught up in far right bollocks

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/05/27/the-undercover-fascist
Believer

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3093 on: June 24, 2020, 11:57:01 pm »
I know Burnley the town, their people and 'their lads' - The suicide squad, by its own title - is enough to tell anyone what, or where, they are at.

Do they want to look mad? yes, they're a dated fan-base.
Are they intrinsically racist? Absolutely not
Has Burnley moved with the times? Sort of, but there is an ingrained element that is not racists, though just wants to blame their failures on nothing more than the wide world - rather than their inability and their towns inability -  to adapt and move with the times.

Lovely warm people, who are held back by a dad to lad, skewed outlook on the wider world.

One airplane banner doesn't define a club, or town, nor should one act of 'frustration'(?) be perceived as ingrained racism. I hope and I believe they will seek to understand where this is coming from. Understand, being the key action.

Oh, and it always pisses down there. Take an umbrella. 

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family