Author Topic: Homegrown rule  (Read 479 times)

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Homegrown rule
« on: July 7, 2015, 12:23:49 pm »
Just wanted to know people's thoughts on this?

It was brought in to help the national team from my understanding and help promote British players

I think it's had the complete opposite effect, making English players so expensive and for them to be able demand ridiculously high wages in the process .

Also look at Man City desperate to sign British players but at the same time ruining their careers. Looks like Delph could be the next one to waste away at city.

I think it should be scrapped.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
Re: Homegrown rule
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2015, 04:35:27 pm »
The opposite effect would be too weaken the England team, wouldn't it? Has that happened?

It's up to the clubs to handle the fee and wages side of things, I suspect the FA don't care about that consequence.

It takes time for this stuff to work its way through, however you are right that too many English players take the big coin to move to a big club, then find themselves way behind more talented foreign players.
In the end those players need to figure that out, and not being called up for England might help them.

Obviously the next player at risk of doing that is Sterling, should be find himself sitting on the bench at City, he might find his England career stalls too.

In a few years we'll know if it has increased the number of minutes played by home grown players, which is supposed to be the first step in this process. Also we should see more youth team products getting chances across all the top clubs, as despite too many having seemingly bottomless pockets, they'd all rather have a player for free than buy one.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2 on: July 7, 2015, 04:37:42 pm »
There was an English tax on players way before the home grown rules came in.

Offline GregCharrua

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: July 7, 2015, 04:40:43 pm »
To me, the homegrown rule is like trying to intervene and save a kid in the school system when he's already in his senior year. It's a big headline, big impact sort of rule that creates lots of noise but not convinced its the best way to go about improving England players.

Like it should in bettering education, the investment and effort needs to go into the grass roots and early days (emulating Belgium, Spain, the Dutch in youth development and approach to the game to create more techincal players, etc).

Problem there is like in all things political (and the FA seems more political than other associations), something that would be good for long term but takes time is often not considered because there's no immediate result or change.