Author Topic: New premier league tv deal worth 5 billion  (Read 8721 times)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: New premier league tv deal worth 5 billion
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2015, 10:19:38 am »
For those above saying people don't boycott or do anything they just moan, the reason is probably how futile it is on an unorganised scale. I've stopped going the game every week, infact my last game was home against villa I think, but you know what? The club have just sold another membership to some money bags fan and it's not hurt them a tiny percent.

Football is dead, I used to celebrate every goal and big save, even against minnows in the cups, like a cl final winning goal. Now I just don't feel it.

Sad but true!! It's totally lost touch with it's origins!!

It really does need a whole boycott from everyone in the UK, that would hit them smack on the face!!

I've been saying for years now that football will eventually eat itself

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2015, 10:23:21 am »
In terms of the long term future and development of the game, the sensible thing to do would be to introduce a salary cap before the money from the new deal arrives into the Premier League.....at least then not every last cent of it would go directly into the already obscenely bloated bank accounts of the players.....

Whilst I agree with this, I don't think under European law it's actually enforceable (and even if it was, the PL won't have any interest in doing it anyway).

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2015, 10:27:31 am »
Simple, get rid of the ban on 3pm saturday kick offs being televised. More games at 3pm saturday , better for fans especially away fans. If attendances get hit clubs will then have to rethink thier pricing structure to encourage supporters back through the turnstiles.

But it wont happen, and you know why? because football fans are the cheese on the end of a massive corporate beureaucratic cock.

That's a terrible idea, and one that would see the existing league system crumble as the lower league clubs, already struggling to get by, are hit by the inevitable lowering attendances. But yeah, the Premier League would be ok so everything will be fine ::)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2015, 10:32:52 am »
The extra money is almost irrelevant to the football side of the league. All the clubs get more money, so there is no competitive advantage. There is little chance that someone will break into the established Premier League clubs. We'll just have a group of yo-yo clubs that cannot compete financially in the top flight, but are too financially doped to be stuck in the Championship (of course they could do a Wigan and be so incompetently managed that they freefall  but you have to try quite hard to manage that).

It may work slightly in our favour in that it dilutes the effects of the huge size of Old Trafford - the difference in match day earnings become less significant - but their commercial side still dwarves ours.

Overall it has little impact other than the average TV fan being screwed for more money to try and pay for the ridiculous cost of the deals.

Ever increasing TV deals are unsustainable though. At some point the public will have to pay too much to fund the deal, and broadcaster will lose money. The deals will eventually top out. Given that this deal is for 16/17 - if the TV deal ever shrinks, there is the risk that clubs will have players tied to deals that last well into the next TV deal. If the TV money slows, look at what happened after OnDigital collapsed.

Offline MerseyParadise

• Kopite
  • Wool son of Scotty road 'arl fella
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2015, 11:37:19 am »
That's a terrible idea, and one that would see the existing league system crumble as the lower league clubs, already struggling to get by, are hit by the inevitable lowering attendances. But yeah, the Premier League would be ok so everything will be fine ::)

A televised saturday afternoon game would cripple lower league attendance? yea alright. The policy was brought in donkeys years ago before satellite televison internet streaming etc etc. people are watching premier league football on the telly on a saturday afternoon anyway mate. Legitimise it and then we might not be faced with sky making us go to swansea on a monday night
Insert obscure quote here

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2015, 11:47:58 am »
Why are the English so against Friday night games?

As an Aussie growing up and even now, Friday night football is sacred. Great atmosphere at night games, it's great to have a few drinks after work and head off to the game or as pre-drinks before going out on the town. As a youngster I'd watch the Friday night game regardless of who was playing and then footy the next day you'd be trying to replicate what you saw. I can't see how Friday night football is a bad thing for anybody.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2015, 12:02:45 pm »
A televised saturday afternoon game would cripple lower league attendance? yea alright. The policy was brought in donkeys years ago before satellite televison internet streaming etc etc. people are watching premier league football on the telly on a saturday afternoon anyway mate. Legitimise it and then we might not be faced with sky making us go to swansea on a monday night

If they wanted to televise every game, they could, but it would mean abandoning the 3pm Saturday kick off. It's not like they give a shit about the fans.

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2015, 12:40:09 pm »

Not really. Fans of bigger clubs like ours who have no interest in other clubs may be watching 3pm games on a stream or foreign satellite, sure. There are others though who perhaps live too far away to get to games regularly, those who just can't get tickets etc who will go and watch a local lower league game just because they love football (I can remember seeing a poster on here who is in that exact situation). If you start televising the 3pm games, those people are likely to miss the local game to watch their team live instead.

If you're talking though about a single live 3pm game which is instead of the 12:45pm or 5:30pm game then I guess it'd have less impact.

Offline Zephyr

• Thinks of RAWK whilst pleasuring himself
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2015, 12:43:19 pm »
Crazy amounts of money.
Mint-Berry Crunch!

Offline stoj

• Main Stander
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2015, 12:47:46 pm »
It's because they're all complicit....they're all making a (huge) coin out of the Premier League....It's a solid gold gravy train....and us soft c*nts are paying for it

Sounds about right dude ;)

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2015, 01:02:03 pm »
For those above saying people don't boycott or do anything they just moan, the reason is probably how futile it is on an unorganised scale. I've stopped going the game every week, infact my last game was home against villa I think, but you know what? The club have just sold another membership to some money bags fan and it's not hurt them a tiny percent.

Football is dead, I used to celebrate every goal and big save, even against minnows in the cups, like a cl final winning goal. Now I just don't feel it.

The club doesn't even want you mate, given that you probably already have a red shirt and scarf. They'd much rather have some first-time visitor in your place buying a full kit, half-half scarf, taking the Stadium Tour and do whatever Liverpool have on offer to bring some more pounds in. It sounds ugly but I think it's largely true.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2015, 01:26:55 pm »
You know what? £100,000 a week is already in another galaxy to what you or I can earn,
so it may as well be £500,000 a week, makes no conceptual difference.

Richard Scudamore was arguing that football is an extension of the entertainment industry, hence the top heavy distribution of money. He would say that. But football does arise out of its grass roots, even Raheem Sterling once kicked about on local pitches.

The Premier League would be foolish to forget that.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2015, 01:46:40 pm »
5 billion is a massive amount of money. The players don't deserves the millions they get yearly as they are a huge reason that the PL is worth so much.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2015, 01:47:47 pm »
I'd argue it does have a footballing impact and it's probably largely good news for clubs like us

While it's true every club gets the increased revenue that actually has a diluting effect on the advantage of the big clubs
Every club has fixed costs - this is significant money on top of their current balance sheets
So far all FFP has done is given Man United a bigger edge in our league but this softens that somewhat

Second it massively increases PL clubs buying power in world football. It looks likely it'll mean all 20 clubs in the premier league will be in the top 30 richest in the world
I know people get cynical about modern football and the league in general but honestly I'd rather be watching the league that has the biggest ability to attract the best players

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2015, 02:02:42 pm »
Second it massively increases PL clubs buying power in world football. It looks likely it'll mean all 20 clubs in the premier league will be in the top 30 richest in the world
I know people get cynical about modern football and the league in general but honestly I'd rather be watching the league that has the biggest ability to attract the best players

Indeed, and it may see us get to a stage where it is less likely (or more likely we can persuade them to stay anyway) our top players want to head off to Spain.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2015, 02:07:35 pm »
The club doesn't even want you mate, given that you probably already have a red shirt and scarf. They'd much rather have some first-time visitor in your place buying a full kit, half-half scarf, taking the Stadium Tour and do whatever Liverpool have on offer to bring some more pounds in. It sounds ugly but I think it's largely true.

I don't doubt that for a second. It's sad, I love it but it doesn't love me back. Infact, it uses me for sex and me spending my money on it with my hard earned cash and me telling others how great it is and me paying it attention.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2015, 02:16:15 pm »

I think FSG are smart enough to know that the famous Kop AtmosphereTM is worth more the bottom line than increasing the number of daytrippers.

They are pretty well damned whatever they do. A case can be made for more General Admission to make it easier for younger fans to get tickets. Season Tickets are becoming an ageing man's game. For the long term health of the club, you need the infusion of younger fans. The people at the front of the season ticket queue are middle aged or geriatric.

I am well aware that the counter argument is that those very same fans in the queue have done their time and probably deserve the ST.

Unfortunately we don't have enough ST, and people who deserve them will miss out. It really is one that the club cannot win.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2015, 03:01:18 pm »

Although we have seen more new ST's released in the last 3-4 years than we have seen in total since the Anny Rd stand was expanded in 1998.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2015, 03:21:18 pm »
the only moral way to watch is to steal it ?

I think you'll find that a lot of liverpool supporters have sky subscriptions and its a fairly big leap from buying the sun.

I would suggest it isn't really such a big leap. It's perhaps a bigger leap to admit to yourself that something that you can't possibly do without is actually causing a whole lot of problems of a magnitude most football fans don't appreciate.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2015, 03:38:58 pm »

As an Aussie growing up and even now, Friday night football is sacred. Great atmosphere at night games, it's great to have a few drinks after work and head off to the game or as pre-drinks before going out on the town. As a youngster I'd watch the Friday night game regardless of who was playing and then footy the next day you'd be trying to replicate what you saw. I can't see how Friday night football is a bad thing for anybody.

It's a bad thing for away fans who have to take Another day off work to travel across the country
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2015, 03:42:29 pm »
It's a bad thing for away fans who have to take Another day off work to travel across the country
Yep, being a teacher as well this means that my chances of attending these matches is even slimmer.

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2015, 04:15:11 pm »
I think FSG are smart enough to know that the famous Kop AtmosphereTM is worth more the bottom line than increasing the number of daytrippers.

I am not sure they will.  This extra 30 - 40m per annum increases the clubs value so much that they might be tempted to sell. As I understand it they have paid less that 400m for the club including the loans to cover the current losses.  With this deal, with the new sponsorship deals etc. the club must be worth double that.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2015, 04:16:56 pm »
I am not sure they will.  This extra 30 - 40m per annum increases the clubs value so much that they might be tempted to sell. As I understand it they have paid less that 400m for the club including the loans to cover the current losses.  With this deal, with the new sponsorship deals etc. the club must be worth double that.

It'll also be worth even more in 10 years time, and in the meantime it'll continue bringing in an income for them via their other sports ventures (FSM and NESN specifically).

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2015, 04:28:19 pm »

It's more of a logistical issue than anything,

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but if you're talking AFL, then almost half the teams are Melbourne based so inter city rivalries are common place and doesn't effect the majority of the fan base going to the game. Similarly if there is a cross state game then people would have to fly anyway so they'll have to make special arrangements whatever day it is on if they wanted to go to an away game.

Monday nights are bad enough but I cannot stress to you how shit UK roads are on a Friday evening. They're bad whatever time you travel but on Friday it seems to population doubles and all goes on the road at the same time. A journey usually taking 2 hours can easily take 4-5 on a Friday. The furthest game Liverpool fans would be able to travel on a Friday if setting off at 4/5 would be Manchester (no exaggeration).

The idea of a Friday night game in principal is good with me if they're sensible however we all know that Sunderland or Southampton away is sure to be announced.

The catch 22 is local games would be ideal however the Police won't allow it because could you imagine Liverpool v United on a Friday night!?   

Armchair supporters will love it though and that's Sky's audience
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:31:28 pm by redan »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2015, 01:38:08 pm »
Fucking brilliant.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2015, 01:48:44 pm »
The reference to Wolf of Wallstreet is very apt.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2015, 03:53:32 pm »
One day of tv rights in the new Premier League deal is the equilvalent of a whole year's tv rights in the Eredevisie.