Author Topic: Champions League fixtures 31st Oct/1st Nov  (Read 27843 times)

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Champions League fixtures 31st Oct/1st Nov
« Reply #400 on: November 2, 2017, 04:26:56 pm »
I thought Sarri was overrated in your book.   Guardiola can't stop gushing about him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5041163/Man-City-boss-Pep-Guardiola-love-Napoli.html

I would take Pep's praises with a pinch of salt. If I listed all of his (way over the top) praising on here, you'd cringe and think he isn't genuine. He just wants to be nice to people. Look up some of his praises for Bravo last season after his disastrous matches, or praising Bournemouth after City's 4-0 win ("best performance I have seen this season" etc.).

With that being said, I don't doubt that Guardiola respects Sarri a lot. And yes, Sarri and Napoli are overrated. I watched them in CL this season, they are a good side going forward. But the best side Pep that has faced they are not ;D Not even sure if they are better than Shakhtar.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: November 2, 2017, 04:29:56 pm »
BTW, I have absolutely no problem admitting a vast improvement in quality of Premiership teams. That is clearly noticeable both in the league games and in Europe. And all "but matches vs West Brom take a lot of energy, and therefore, English teams are poor in Europe because of the superior quality of the league" type BS arguments seem to have now been forgotten.

Similarly, it is also clear, both in La Liga and in Europe, that Spanish teams have regressed this season. Every single one of them, including those in Europa League, too. Same with Germany.

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #402 on: November 2, 2017, 10:01:11 pm »
BTW, I have absolutely no problem admitting a vast improvement in quality of Premiership teams. That is clearly noticeable both in the league games and in Europe. And all "but matches vs West Brom take a lot of energy, and therefore, English teams are poor in Europe because of the superior quality of the league" type BS arguments seem to have now been forgotten.

Similarly, it is also clear, both in La Liga and in Europe, that Spanish teams have regressed this season. Every single one of them, including those in Europa League, too. Same with Germany.

I do think the depth of the teams in the Champions League has improved a lot too. I didn't think we (Spurs) had improved that well in that area but it seems the addition of Sanchez has done a lot there in freeing up Dier to be depth for either CB or CDM, though we are still a little light up top imo. The depth improvement for City is obvious, Chelsea's has gotten worse and I think that shows as they are doing the worst in their group despite having an easier group.

I think the the quality wasn't necessarily better but just that a lot of games in the Premier League are just more physically taxing, however that is not really an excuse, premier league clubs know what their schedule is like and should've adjusted to it years ago like they have this season if that was really the issue.
We beat Real Madrid

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: November 2, 2017, 10:49:57 pm »
I do think the depth of the teams in the Champions League has improved a lot too. I didn't think we (Spurs) had improved that well in that area but it seems the addition of Sanchez has done a lot there in freeing up Dier to be depth for either CB or CDM, though we are still a little light up top imo. The depth improvement for City is obvious, Chelsea's has gotten worse and I think that shows as they are doing the worst in their group despite having an easier group.

I think the the quality wasn't necessarily better but just that a lot of games in the Premier League are just more physically taxing, however that is not really an excuse, premier league clubs know what their schedule is like and should've adjusted to it years ago like they have this season if that was really the issue.
Again, that was one of the excuses, and I disagree with that. Premiership teams dominated Europe when the teams were quality. Period. Teams cover roughly same distance/match in all top leagues, and they have similar # of matches, too.

These excuses were wrong back then and still are wrong. They are essentially saying "our league is better that is why we are poor", nonsense really.

On the other hand, a simple explanation works a lot better. Premier League has had a dreadful period when the likes of ManU were coached by Moyes. Those years were poor, really poor, and in fact, that helped Leicester win the league. The same Leicester would struggle to finish in top 4 this season. The league been clearly improving in the past year or so, and you can see from the quality of football as well. Therefore, it is not a surprise that European results have also gotten a lot better as well. And all of a sudden, you don't need any excuses such as winter break (which was hilariously used even in September, i.e., for CL group stages in the past 5-6 years).

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #404 on: November 3, 2017, 01:51:33 am »
Again, that was one of the excuses, and I disagree with that. Premiership teams dominated Europe when the teams were quality. Period. Teams cover roughly same distance/match in all top leagues, and they have similar # of matches, too.

These excuses were wrong back then and still are wrong. They are essentially saying "our league is better that is why we are poor", nonsense really.

On the other hand, a simple explanation works a lot better. Premier League has had a dreadful period when the likes of ManU were coached by Moyes. Those years were poor, really poor, and in fact, that helped Leicester win the league. The same Leicester would struggle to finish in top 4 this season. The league been clearly improving in the past year or so, and you can see from the quality of football as well. Therefore, it is not a surprise that European results have also gotten a lot better as well. And all of a sudden, you don't need any excuses such as winter break (which was hilariously used even in September, i.e., for CL group stages in the past 5-6 years).

If you want to try a bit of reading comprehension before replying that would be great. I already said that is not an excuse because these teams have the money to get the depth required to deal with it but in recent times they haven't. I think they had it better back then and do now which is why we're seeing a change. That is partly down to better coaching, the coaches I'm charge of the top teams now know properly how to deal with the extra games and how to plan for them, either from previous experience at other clubs (Mourinho, Pep, Klopp) or learning as they go like Poch.
We beat Real Madrid