Author Topic: Calcio Storico - The beautiful game of gladiators  (Read 2362 times)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Calcio Storico - The beautiful game of gladiators
« on: July 4, 2015, 08:40:36 pm »
Four neighbourhoods, four churches, four colours

A square, one ball, two goals, 50 minutes and no rules

In the third week of June, each year since 1580, four teams formed by 27 fight in the arena La Santa Croce.....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-Ea17DLpqIY&amp;ab_channel=IoTifoFiorentina" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-Ea17DLpqIY&amp;ab_channel=IoTifoFiorentina</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ea17DLpqIY&ab_channel=IoTifoFiorentina

"I play for the team, but I play alone, I do not want the ball, it does not interest me"

Absolutely fucking beautiful that line

2014's game with the best steal of a punch you are ever likely to see at 2:12.

From wiki:
Interest in Calcio waned in the early 17th century. However, in 1930 it was reorganized as a game in Kingdom of Italy.[1] under Mussolini. Today, three matches are played each year in Piazza Santa Croce in Florence in the 3rd week of June. A team from each quartiere of the city is represented:

Santa Croce / Azzurri (Blues)
Santa Maria Novella / Rossi (Reds)
Santo Spirito / Bianchi (Whites)
San Giovanni / Verdi (Greens)
After playing each other in two opening games, the two overall winners go into the final which occurs each year on June 24; this is San Giovanni (St. John)'s Day, the Patron Saint of Florence. The modern version of calcio allows tactics such as head-butting, punching, elbowing, and choking but sucker punches and kicks to the head are banned.[1] It is also prohibited for more than one player to attack an opponent. Any violation leads to being thrown out of the game.

And what a venue!

Christ I would of loved to have a game of this ;D .........Determined that one day, I will go and watch this.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Calcio Storico - The beautiful game of gladiators
« Reply #1 on: July 4, 2015, 08:56:33 pm »
Sounds just like Sunday league around our way ;D

I'd love to watch/play this game,  it's amazing.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 4, 2015, 10:13:11 pm »
suarez would do well there
bollocks

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #3 on: July 7, 2015, 10:13:10 am »
I've been in that stadium - they had one of Italy's group games showing on big screens when I was on holiday there during France 98.  I had no idea the main event was so incredible though.  I'm going to need to go back now.

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: July 7, 2015, 02:03:38 pm »
"I play for the team, but I play alone, I do not want the ball, it does not interest me"

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: July 7, 2015, 03:59:31 pm »

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

It sounds like an interview with Dirk Kuyt or Javier Mascherano from the late part of the last decade.

I watched a documentary on this fairly recently and was impressed at the sheer number of Fascist tattoos on display.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #6 on: July 7, 2015, 08:26:03 pm »
This is my idea of an absolute nightmare.

Can't understand anyone watching to 'play' it...

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 9, 2015, 11:47:04 am »
I used to cycle through that square every night on my way home from work at Finegan's Pub, Florence.

Regarding the 'sport' - ridiculous macho rubbish.