Author Topic: The 3-4-1-2. Is it the way forward?  (Read 117142 times)

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The 3-4-1-2. Is it the way forward?
« Reply #1160 on: November 13, 2013, 05:31:00 pm »
Think this might be good in here, from a while ago. Sort of explains why Brendan went with a 2-1 in midfield at first, as he explains that he has a 'rule' that you shouldn't go forward if you can't come back (Gerrard?). He's switched to a 1-2 in midfield now allowing Gerrard to go forward but only in a contained way, still dictating play from further back.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wxTt4UGulNc?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wxTt4UGulNc?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1161 on: November 13, 2013, 10:30:10 pm »
Think this might be good in here, from a while ago. Sort of explains why Brendan went with a 2-1 in midfield at first, as he explains that he has a 'rule' that you shouldn't go forward if you can't come back (Gerrard?). He's switched to a 1-2 in midfield now allowing Gerrard to go forward but only in a contained way, still dictating play from further back.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wxTt4UGulNc?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wxTt4UGulNc?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

Thanks for that video, I am not sure if my interpretation is correct but when he talks about that I wonder if he means during the match as opposed to pre match selection, so for example at the end of the match and you are protecting a lead? Though I also though that it could be in phases so when you are trying to conserve energy at that period during the game both individually or as a team that you switch into a 2-1? 
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #1162 on: November 16, 2013, 07:22:48 am »
Anybody know how many PL games we have played this season with 3412 and how many we have won ?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1163 on: November 16, 2013, 07:34:26 am »
Anybody know how many PL games we have played this season with 3412 and how many we have won ?

5 games in the 3-5-2 and variations.

W3 D1 L1
Better looking than Samie.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #1164 on: November 16, 2013, 07:36:20 am »

W3 D1 L1
Cheers , had it down as 5

352 ...2

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1165 on: November 16, 2013, 08:58:32 am »

W3 D1 L1

Would it be possible do you think to play 352 against the lesser teams, but swap to a 433/451 against stronger oppostion ?

I feel the 352 is helping us break down/overwhelm the teams we 'generally' sruggle against, simply by overwhelming them with forward numbers, and do you think it's the tactics (and I us the word loosely) or player discipline that lets us down against the likes of Arsenal/Southampton ?
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Sally

• Desperately searching for a very, very, very, very, very small toaster! "I'm saying this now, if he (Christian Benteke) scores more than 16 goals for us next season i'm eating my cock." (Duly noted!)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Yellow Submarine
« Reply #1166 on: November 17, 2013, 10:16:11 am »
I think this is a very good system to utilize however we're a Central midfielder short of it being one of our ideal formations,

The only problem is i can't see it incorporating Coutinho and SAS as well as moses or aspas so we can't fully let slip the dogs of war on the opposition without being steam-rolled in the midfield, unless the CB's take it upon themselves to occasionally fulfill the DM role with lucas and push up more to fill any empty spaces.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1167 on: December 3, 2013, 09:36:21 am »
i think this could have been the way to go the latter stages against Everton, it was pretty much discarded at half time against Arsenal.

could we see this return over Christmas against the likes of City in particular?
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1168 on: December 3, 2013, 02:11:25 pm »
i think this could have been the way to go the latter stages against Everton, it was pretty much discarded at half time against Arsenal.

could we see this return over Christmas against the likes of City in particular?
I could see it possibly returning v City, although one of the problems we had playing it was the 'half spaces', either side of the midfielders and between the wing backs. And that's an area where City really look to use and exploit. But I could see it as a possibility. I'd like to see it return as well because I think it suits us in many ways, mainly because it allows Coutinho to play as an attacking midfielder and that's never a bad thing.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1169 on: December 3, 2013, 02:50:03 pm »
I could see it possibly returning v City, although one of the problems we had playing it was the 'half spaces', either side of the midfielders and between the wing backs. And that's an area where City really look to use and exploit. But I could see it as a possibility. I'd like to see it return as well because I think it suits us in many ways, mainly because it allows Coutinho to play as an attacking midfielder and that's never a bad thing.
plus i dont think he was once played in that formation which i think was tailor made for him behind the front two

moses played there but looked awful, admittedly that is not his correct position

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1170 on: October 22, 2014, 09:21:45 am »

Probably don`t have the fit personnel for this right now, however...Am I the only person on here who wants a return to having two up front?

Balotelli obviously needs a strike partner, so any combination of Borini-Balotelli-Lambert must be worth a try. I would actually play Borini (for the running and all round effort) first and add one of the other two. Coutinho or Sterling as the one in that formation with the other one ready to come on.

I`m not gonna post a formation. Make your own  ;)
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1171 on: October 22, 2014, 11:06:19 am »
Probably don`t have the fit personnel for this right now, however...Am I the only person on here who wants a return to having two up front?

Balotelli obviously needs a strike partner, so any combination of Borini-Balotelli-Lambert must be worth a try. I would actually play Borini (for the running and all round effort) first and add one of the other two. Coutinho or Sterling as the one in that formation with the other one ready to come on.

I`m not gonna post a formation. Make your own  ;)
On current form, playing 2 strikers from that lot would almost be like going down to 9 men. Rather just line up with a false 9, with Lallana Sterling and Coutinho interchanging and kill teams with the movement and tidy exchanges. Play Gerrard Henderson and Allen to provide strong cover behind that front 3.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1172 on: October 22, 2014, 12:58:12 pm »
That`s another option, perhaps we will see this tonight!

I for one would like to see it against the better teams we face, it also shoehorns all our better players onto the pitch.

Against the lesser teams, 2 strikers must be worth trying.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1173 on: October 22, 2014, 12:59:25 pm »
hasnt really been tried in about a year has it

arsenal away i think was the last time it was used.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #1174 on: October 24, 2014, 12:15:35 pm »
That`s another option, perhaps we will see this tonight!

I for one would like to see it against the better teams we face, it also shoehorns all our better players onto the pitch.

Against the lesser teams, 2 strikers must be worth trying.

One would be a start... :-X
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA