Author Topic: Vice Captain?  (Read 18835 times)

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Vice Captain?
« Reply #200 on: September 3, 2014, 01:49:34 pm »
I think way too much is made of the whole captain thing in England, but I guess if i was picking candidates it would be Henderson or Sakho. Both have leadership qualities and Sakho was captain of PSG. Both are exemplary in their attitudes and training.

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: September 3, 2014, 02:03:14 pm »
Should be Borini, will give him something to do
Xerxes MBE

Offline MerseyMania

• Defiled for fantasticism.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #202 on: September 3, 2014, 03:15:32 pm »
Two Seasons back it would have been Lucas for the Character shown in orchestrating a comeback and winning the fans and neutrals. Same can be said about Henderson. He offers a lot more than Lucas in final third so he wont be too one dimensional.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: September 3, 2014, 03:21:28 pm »
Another thing, having signed a lot of players we may want to see how they settle into the group you never know one of the new signings may step up and take the role.
Ditto. Plus Henderson might be a great call but we also could see an amazing leader emerge from one of the younger existing players already here as they mature. 

Offline Halibut-Thumb

• I apologise for my shit user name and piss-poor spelling. You know, my friends and family tell me they are surprised I couldn't think of anything better. Ah well, such is life.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Lesbian ham?
« Reply #204 on: September 3, 2014, 03:32:02 pm »
Has to be Hendo, no contest
In Soviet Russia, fish fingers you.

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #205 on: September 3, 2014, 09:15:12 pm »
Seeing Jordan tagging along with Stevie to his football camp today on the club site gives me the feeling of grooming the lad for a leadership role. I would be more than happy with Jordan as Vice Captain he's a top lad, and shown he has the desire and talent to be here.

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #206 on: September 3, 2014, 09:17:26 pm »
Bur who is going to be the vice captain to the vice captain?!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: September 3, 2014, 09:21:03 pm »
Bur who is going to be the vice captain to the vice captain?!
That's actually not a stupid question  ;D  there is usually a pecking order implemented through injury or substitutions. Will Skrtel be vice to Henderson?

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 3, 2014, 09:41:57 pm »
I know these things are mainly ceremonial at the level these guys are, still do people really think Lovren is the type to care beyond what he wants based on his posturing to get a move here? I dunno, I think him and Suarez are cut from the same cloth. Excellent (hopefully in Lovren's case) at their jobs for us, excellent at looking out for themselves. Rather see Lambert take it if a situation arose where the armband had to go to someone with both the captain and vice out. Lovren's job as part of the backline is to communicate (accurately!) anyway, he'll talk.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #209 on: September 4, 2014, 02:45:52 am »
It's surely GOT to be Henderson. He's the first name I thought of when I heard that Agger was leaving.
He has all the qualities and experience and is a natural successor to Stevie in the (near) future.

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #210 on: September 4, 2014, 03:00:03 am »
Carra on Twitter thinks it might be Skrtel for this season but Hendo for the long term. Doesn't make any sense that. Give Hendo the extra responsibility and watch him thrive. Gerrard's game went up a whole new level after Houllier gave him the captaincy at roughly the same age Hendo's at right now.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #211 on: September 4, 2014, 04:03:52 am »
Gerrard's game went up a whole new level after Houllier gave him the captaincy at roughly the same age Hendo's at right now.
Yeah and he ended up trying to tackle the ball away from the forward, pass it forwards, intercept the pass, dribble it into the opponent half, launch an ICBM-class shot that was (barely) tipped to the post by keeper, latch onto the rebound and power it into the net himself - until Rafa told him to calm down and went on to do it 23 times in a season. :P
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Weytske

• Anny Roader
  • Peerless
« Reply #212 on: September 4, 2014, 12:59:29 pm »
Yeah and he ended up trying to tackle the ball away from the forward, pass it forwards, intercept the pass, dribble it into the opponent half, launch an ICBM-class shot that was (barely) tipped to the post by keeper, latch onto the rebound and power it into the net himself - until Rafa told him to calm down and went on to do it 23 times in a season. :P
Isn't that sort of what Henderson is doing already? Who knows what more he'll do? :D

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: September 4, 2014, 01:24:22 pm »
Does anyone have an idea when we're looking at this maybe being announced?
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: September 9, 2014, 01:22:09 pm »
Does anyone have an idea when we're looking at this maybe being announced?

Anyone read/heard as to when this is due to be announced?

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: September 9, 2014, 01:22:58 pm »
So here's to you ..

Offline alangc

• Main Stander
« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2014, 11:25:50 pm »
Well done Hendo! Only man for the job in my opinion!

Offline laximaginationzzz

• Kopite
« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2014, 11:29:06 pm »
LFC. YNWA. JFT96.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: September 15, 2014, 11:33:02 pm »

My favourite Gerrard season probably still remains 03-04 when he basically dragged the side into 4th place when everyone around him had given up on houllier/Thompson. Birmingham away and spurs away, I'll be ttalking about those games probably as much as all the later performances under Rafa.

There were still doubts over Gerrard on a national/international scale but it was pretty much the season where he stepped up a gear to a consistent performer able to lead the team. I think it was important to Gerrard at the time in a way that probably doesn't relate to Henderson now. But it might help push him on an extra 5%
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:38:34 pm by Guz-kop »
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline HoinkDoink

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 16, 2014, 12:09:27 am »
Great choice in Hendo, I wonder with the timing it means Gerrard is rested tomorrow and Henderson will captain the side
Liverpool FC
Stop for the Klopp!

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=294839.0 - RAWK Soccer Manager Thread, Come Play

Offline The Playmaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 16, 2014, 12:10:23 am »
Pretty disappointed that I wasn't selected. But fair play to Jordan Henderson!

Offline Kenny

• Kopite
  • Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent
« Reply #221 on: September 16, 2014, 12:42:10 am »
Great choice in Hendo, I wonder with the timing it means Gerrard is rested tomorrow and Henderson will captain the side

I don't think Gerrard misses our first Champions League game back

Offline rlpolobear9

• Kopite
« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2014, 12:45:26 am »
Gotta be hendo or Sturridge two most important players after Stevie, my bet is for hendo can do a job in getting around the middle of the pitch and Brendan trust him
Liverpool FC 5 time European champs!!!!! YNWA

Offline Crazy Diamond

• Main Stander
« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2014, 01:31:42 am »
Great choice in Henderson,  think he'll really rise to the role. And to think not too long ago he was basically told he could leave the club, what a turnaround the past year or so has been for him.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2014, 01:42:23 am »
Fuck off.

I'm supposed to be vice captain. I had such dreams of being stevie's successor.

Shame I'm already 21 and slower than Rio Ferdinand.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #225 on: September 16, 2014, 01:47:11 am »
Or Gerrard starts tomorrow and is rested at the weekend?

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #226 on: September 16, 2014, 02:02:22 am »
Great choice in Henderson,  think he'll really rise to the role. And to think not too long ago he was basically told he could leave the club, what a turnaround the past year or so has been for him.

What is the role, anyway? What does a 'vice-captain' do? What are his official duties and in what way is he any different than any other player as far as the rules of the game are concerned?

What good did being vice-captain do for Agger and what good did it do LFC that Agger was 'vice-captain'?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #227 on: September 16, 2014, 02:08:33 am »
Or Gerrard starts tomorrow and is rested at the weekend?

Can't see Gerrard sitting out our first game back in the Champions League.

Online telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #228 on: September 16, 2014, 02:35:05 am »
What is the role, anyway? What does a 'vice-captain' do? What are his official duties and in what way is he any different than any other player as far as the rules of the game are concerned?

What good did being vice-captain do for Agger and what good did it do LFC that Agger was 'vice-captain'?

It's basically being the captain when the captain is not there, isn't it? It's not like being vice president.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline plskikme

• Kopite
  • What Could Have Been and What Can Be
« Reply #229 on: September 16, 2014, 04:59:10 am »
Not to mention the very real boost it could have on him and the knock on effect/morale amongst the players from a decision they could agree/disagree with. Remember, they are humans just like us.

Online Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: September 16, 2014, 05:13:31 am »
I think more than ever at this point it's actually quite symbolic. You look at the things Rodgers has said about the appointment and about Henderson representing the morals and essence of what the club is about, you look at Henderson tagging along with Stevie to his foundation events recently, you look at the way Gerrard has sort of taken Henderson under his wing for both Liverpool and England.

I think it's the (very early) beginning of a sort of changing of the guard if you like. Gerrard has been captain for over 10 years, and over the next couple of years I imagine there will be a gradual passing of the mantle to Henderson who will eventually end up being the club captain. I mean, obviously if he somehow is displaced from the team or someone else demonstrates an undeniable claim to the capataincy in that time he might not be, but certainly that's what it looks like. Like he is being groomed (for lack of a better word??) for the role.

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #231 on: September 16, 2014, 05:44:52 am »
Kudos to Jordan, the young man has worked so hard to be here and prove himself. I couldn't think of anyone else to take that mantle after Agger left. Get in Jordan.

Offline sikingthegreat1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #232 on: September 16, 2014, 07:52:45 am »
great pick, he's been so hard-working and i think he deserved it.
now let's enjoy hendo go up another level~~

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #233 on: September 16, 2014, 07:54:33 am »

I absolutely adore Gerrard, but I'd love for that to happen.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: September 16, 2014, 08:16:16 am »
How times change, to think Brendan deemed Jordan not good enough and wanted to sell him to Fulham. Well done Jordan

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 16, 2014, 08:18:09 am »
How times change, to think Brendan deemed Jordan not good enough and wanted to sell him to Fulham. Well done Jordan

It happens. See Fergie and Pogba.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: September 16, 2014, 08:23:29 am »

Wasn't it more of a case that Rodgers told Henderson that there was an offer from Fulham, Henderson said he wants to stay and Rodgers was happy with him staying, not like he was pushing him to move like he has been doing with Borini.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 16, 2014, 08:24:06 am »
Didn't Pogba want a bigger contract than he probably deserved?
Either way credit to Jordan as most players might of left or lost the fight after having it made clear they aren't wanted, let's hope Fabio can do the same sort of thing.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: September 16, 2014, 08:25:13 am »
Wasn't it more of a case that Rodgers told Henderson that there was an offer from Fulham, Henderson said he wants to stay and Rodgers was happy with him staying, not like he was pushing him to move like he has been doing with Borini.

Well he wanted him to go like because we wanted dempsey didn't we. We wanted the move to go through but obviously couldn't force a player out

Think it was more a case of seeing Jordans performances from the outset and probably not being impressed with him under Kenny and the didn't get a chance at first to prove himself. Makes the Borini situation even stranger because this is a player Brendan rated and work with previously.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:27:40 am by Upinsmoke »