Author Topic: Alex Raisbeck - The Silent man of football speaks!  (Read 9641 times)

Offline Skeever

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • LFCHistory.net
Alex Raisbeck - The Silent man of football speaks!
« on: May 11, 2015, 12:35:14 pm »
[Text below is written by Arnie @ LFChistory]
Just once in a while you come across something so important that relates to the history of Liverpool Football Club that it makes your heart race. You can't expect every Red to be as thrilled so all you can do is emphasize its importance. A first-hand account of Liverpool FC's daily life in the club's first two decades virtually did not exist and neither a direct quote from the club's first superstar; "the silent man of football"- one Alexander Galloway Raisbeck.

When searching through the British Newspaper archive in January 2013 I discovered a small announcement in the Dundee Courier on 19 March 1915 of a series of articles by "Alick Raisbeck" that were to be published in the Weekly News. The problem was now to find this paper that was being referred to so I sought the help of Steven Horton who is an expert in that field and the newest member of the LFChistory.net team. He tracked the Weekly News down to a library in Dundee where it was stored and got the able staff there to scan these articles for me. Once received our own Chris Wood transcribed the whole thing, a total of 18,000 words, which I am eternally grateful for.¨

This series turned out to count no less than sixteen articles written by Alex Raisbeck detailing his football career. This amounted to gold dust in my estimation and certainly to other Reds who are interested in the formative years of our club and the life of this man, whom I rate so highly that I believe he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Elisha Scott, Billy Liddell, Kenny Dalglish and Steven Gerrard as the outstanding figure at the club in his era.

So proud that this is finally online. The process has taken roughly two years since finding these articles and getting them into shape for publication. This is the first article of eight published weekly. My research unveiled where he worked as a young boy along with his brothers and father as you can see in this first article. No surprise he wanted to escape the mines!

Enjoy!
http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3769
www.lfchistory.net - Results & Lineups for every official liverpool match (4900+) and player profiles for every player that have played a official match for Liverpool FC (600+).

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Re: Alex Raisbeck - The Silent man of football speaks!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 01:01:19 pm »
this is going to be a fantastic read. Fantastic work

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 02:07:45 pm »
That's fantastic, thank you.  I was writing about Raisbeck myself a week ago and will now adjust my script with this new insight.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:04:33 pm »
bookmarked, I'll have a look on the site later. Thanks Skeever, for this and all the amazing work you do on your site. Thanks mate

Offline Homo rubrum

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Knock it and run, son.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 06:41:17 pm »
Thanks so much, gold dust indeed. 
And if you can do it all with a proud boner, then why the hell not?

Offline Skeever

• Main Stander
    • LFCHistory.net
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 10:48:14 am »
The second article of a total of eight documenting Liverpool's first decade and the career of the club's biggest star tells the story of how Alex Raisbeck joined Liverpool, met his best mate in football, the dressing room joker Johnny Walker and led the club to its first League championship.

http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3772

Enjoy
www.lfchistory.net - Results & Lineups for every official liverpool match (4900+) and player profiles for every player that have played a official match for Liverpool FC (600+).

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 11:35:26 pm »
Great stuff mate, much appreciated.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 12:03:59 am »
That is excellent Skeever. Brings life to those old photos and the dreary statistics.

I loved this quote from Alex:

"Our team at that time was a heavy lot. I should say there was an average of twelve stone all over in the team. And the value of height and weight on the field is incalculable. It’s a true saying “a guid big ane is better than a guid wee ane ony day.”

Emre Can would approve  :P

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 12:09:49 pm »
Bloody brilliant. Well done!

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 03:38:09 pm »
My favourite quote, and something that I believe our fans are well aware of and put into practice.

"Welcome the player with open arms, introduce him all round, and I’ll wager he is not long in giving of his best.’ I’ve experienced it, so I should know."

Offline Abraham

• Anny Roader
  • Justice.
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 05:29:01 pm »
Really enjoyable read, thanks for posting.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 05:59:30 pm »
 :thumbup

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 05:13:03 am »
And a snippet that I have written that included Alex Raisbeck.  Your feedback would be very much appreaciated, especially about the writing itself as opposed to the content, but that is also requested.   Thanks.

16 April 1906    - Bolton Wanderers v Liverpool, Burnden Park, League Div. 1 - Lost 3:2

Liverpool started to create a long term philosophy and tradition by keeping faith with Manager Tom Watson after the 1904 relegation, a faith that paid off with the Reds winning immediate promotion and going up as Champions.  That 2nd Division Championship was secured after beating Burnley in the last game of 1905, despite playing the majority of the 2nd half with 10 men after losing both Sam Raybould and George Fleming to injury.  Goalkeeper Ned Doid also saved a penalty in that game to give added confidence for a season in the top flight.

Such confidence was soon deflated as the gap between the divisions became all too apparent with the Reds losing the opening 3 fixtures conceding 11 goals and scoring just 2.  In the next 5 games, two further defeats left Liverpool trailing 5th bottom of the league.  Liverpool had signed England goalkeeper Sam Hardy from Chesterfield at the end of the 2005 season and it was he who took Doid’s place in goal making his debut in the 4-1 defeat of Nottingham Forest at Anfield.  The new goalkeeper proved his credentials as Liverpool leaped from 16th position to 1st in the space of 2 months, taking 15 points from a possible 16.  Liverpool stayed in prime position for the remainder of the season although 1904 Champions Preston North End pushed hard.

When Liverpool lined up against Bolton on 16th April, Preston were 5 points behind but had a game in hand having three league games left compared to Liverpool’s two.  This meant Liverpool needed just 2 points (one win) to secure the title. More than 1,000 supporters followed the team to Bolton's Burnden Park to see their team dominate the opening exchanges as Goddard and Hewitt rattled the posts of the goal.

It was Bolton, however, who opened the scoring after the normally reliable Hardy had failed to clear after a corner and Shepherd scored to raise the hopes of the Preston faithful 20 miles to the North West.  Shepherd scored a 2nd before Jack Parkinson pulled one back for The Reds after 74 minutes, only for Marshall McEwan to increase Bolton’s lead a minute later.  Parkinson scored a second but Liverpool could not claw back a point from the game and Bolton won 3-2.

The party in Preston was cancelled, however as North End lost 2-0 at Sunderland, leaving Liverpool’s five point lead intact with Preston having 2 games (max 4 points) left.  The Championship was secured for the 2nd time in Liverpool’s history.

The side that day was captained by Scotsman Alex Raisbeck who is considered to be one of our greatest ever.  Alex played 341 games for Liverpool and like many of our greatest players, was also a Scottish International, winning 8 caps all against England.

After starting his career with Larkhall Thistle at the age of 15, he moved to Hibernian in 1896.  He was then loaned to Stoke City at the end of the 1897/98 season to temporarily strengthen their team for the Test Matches – a tactic that many teams, including Liverpool, practiced.  Stoke wanted to sign Raisbeck on a permanent deal, but fortune and fate would favour Liverpool when Secretary Tom Watson was a guest of the Hibs. Chairman when Stoke’s secretary failed to keep his appointment.  Watson convinced the young Scott to relocate instead to Anfield for a fee of £350.

The Athletic News reported on Liverpool‘s capture of Raisbeck and his compatriot, George Allan: "Two more important catches for the Anfield club have been effected, and few will say that Allan of the Celts and Raisbeck, of Stoke-com-Edinburgh Hibs, are not good goods. Raisbeck had a name in Scotland as the best centre half in the country, and for Stoke, where he has shown what he can do. And it has happened as I told our readers a week or two ago, Mr Editor, in commenting on Liverpool’s strength and weakness. Now with these last additions, they should go on smilingly, and I think for the first time in their history they will find themselves stronger favourites than their neighbours for the big trophies of next season."    Whilst the Athletic News reporter was not quite correct, Liverpool went on to win the league three years later.

At 5’10” he was not the tallest of centre halves, but his timing and athleticism ensured that he was more than a match for any taller opponents, but his influence was not only in defence.  The scribe in the club programme, after Liverpool's and Everton's cup replay at Goodison Park on 8 February 1905, captured his essence as a player: "Never has Raisbeck shown more wondrous football. He was here, there and everywhere. Now initiating an attack, now breaking up another, and again chasing Sharp when that lithe young man appeared to be all on his own. He dominated the whole field, and was, without question, the one superlative player. I am never inclined to over elaborate praise, but truly, Alec Raisbeck was a giant among pigmies."   

Raisbeck was indeed a leader and having captained Liverpool to the 1901 league title, lifted the trophy again after victory in this game against Bolton, this time without his beloved moustache.  He continued to lead Liverpool until 1908/09 where he missed four months of the season through injury, with Liverpool narrowly escaping relegation finishing in 17th place.  When the opportunity came to return to Scotland with Partick, he put himself forward for the move and played a further 5 years for the Thistle.
After a successful managerial career with Hamilton Academicals and Bristol City, Raisbeck was tipped to replace David Ashworth as manager when he left in December 1922.  Ashworth had won the league title the previous year, and Liverpool were top of the league when he resigned.  He gave his reasons a need to live nearer to his family as he had a wife and daughter who were both disabled.  He took a job with Oldham Athletic which was considerably nearer his family home, but who were relegated that season.  Raisbeck did not replace him; however, and instead it was legend Matt McQueen who took up the reigns prior to the 3-0 home victory over Blackburn on February 17th after two months with a caretaker manager.  McQueen went on to secure a successive 1st Division title.

Raisbeck went on to manage Halifax Town, Chester City and Bath City before returning to Liverpool in 1939, not as manager as he had once hoped, but as a scout.  He stayed at Liverpool until he died on 12th March 1949 aged 70.

Upon winning the league for the 2nd time, Liverpool became the first team to win the 2nd and 1st division titles in succession, a feat that has only been matched by Everton (‘31 & ‘32), Tottenham (’50 & ‘51) and Ipswich (‘61 & ‘62) under Sir Alf Ramsey.  Nottingham Forest did gain promotion in 3rd place in 1977 and then won the league in 1978 under Brain Clough.

Also in that season, Liverpool played the first of a number of FA Cup Semi-Finals against Everton, this time Everton prevailing against its main rivals 2-0 at Villa Park.  This is the only time to date that Everton have beaten Liverpool in an FA Cup Semi Final, with Liverpool winning the 1950, 71, 77 & 2012 Semi’s, only to lose in all those finals. 
Everton, however went on to play in the Cup Final at Crystal Palace Stadium against Newcastle.  Liverpool was playing its final game of the season against Sheffield United at Anfield at the same time and when news of Everton’s 78th minute goal filtered through, it became a “signal for tumultuous cheering which did not subside for several minutes.”   This would not be the only time that both the FA Cup and the League found their way to the city of Liverpool simultaneously.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Skeever

• Main Stander
    • LFCHistory.net
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 06:16:01 pm »
This third article of a total of eight documenting Liverpool's first decade and the career of the club's biggest star, Alick Raisbeck, in his own words. Liverpool had just won their first League championship, in 1901. On their return to Liverpool after winning the title the squad was welcomed by a huge crowd who demanded a speech from skipper Raisbeck, but he was too shy to address the Liverpudlians. Was this the start of an era of success, not at all! The salary cap rocked the football world and Raisbeck was in the midst of a nightmare while on international duty, watching people die before his eyes. A dramatic incident finishes the career of Raisbeck's roommate.

http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3773

Enjoy.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 07:13:04 pm »
Brilliant, at last something about Liverpool and football that's good to read. Cheers for posting

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 04:50:52 pm »
Great stuff

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 10:57:53 pm »
Bump. this is great, thank you.
Yep.

Offline Skeever

• Main Stander
    • LFCHistory.net
« Reply #17 on: June 1, 2015, 11:09:45 am »
We continue with our story of Alick Raisbeck, Liverpool's first superstar. The year is 1903 and two years have passed since Liverpool won the League Championship for the first time. Yet captain Raisbeck wanted to leave and ahead was a monumental struggle for the Reds. A transfer scandal rocked the club which brought suspensions for three key players. Tom Watson was shocked to the core by Liverpool's bad form. The Reds found a superb goalkeeper and the only way was up after the dramatic twist in their fortunes.

http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3780
Enjoy

Offline Skeever

• Main Stander
    • LFCHistory.net
« Reply #18 on: June 8, 2015, 11:02:56 am »
Alick Raisbeck was captain of Liverpool at the start of the 20th century which was a very dramatic time in the club's history. The Reds won the League Championship in 1901, relegated two years later, but won the second division straight away, in a season when the club was changed into a limited company with plenty of the players wanting to take part. Raisbeck thinks his best season was in 1905-6 when Liverpool went full steam for the title and the cup. In his humble opinion as captain, he thinks certain people went behind his back before the cup semi-final which was a major factor in their defeat. Read about this eventful time, the narrator being the club's talisman at the time: Alick Raisbeck.

http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3781
Enjoy

Offline Gonebay

• Horny for Dudek
  • Kopite
« Reply #19 on: June 8, 2015, 03:28:00 pm »
Bookmarked. Promises to be exciting read this.

Offline Skeever

• Main Stander
    • LFCHistory.net
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 02:49:02 pm »
When Alick Raisbeck was writing his articles for the Weekly News in 1915 his former mentor, Tom Watson, died at only 56 years of age. He is still Liverpool's longest-serving manager, reigning for 19 years right until his death. So the majority of this article is dedicated to "old Tom" who Alick says was a father figure for him at Liverpool.
Also included in this article In 1906 Liverpool had just won their second League title and were rewarded with an exotic trip to Paris. Raisbeck, who had moved from Scotland to Liverpool when the club was only six years old, was reaching the end of his Liverpool career and pined for a return "hame" to Scotland.

Enjoy
http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3782

Offline Skeever

• Main Stander
    • LFCHistory.net
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 02:45:29 pm »
Alick Raisbeck was renowned as the best player in Liverpool's history, but after 11 years he longed for his home country in 1909. Never-before-seen images from Partick Thistle are included in this article. Raisbeck's management ambitions came true despite being overlooked as Dave Ashworth's successor as LFC manager in 1923. Raisbeck returned to Liverpool though in 1939 where he served as a scout for a decade.

Enjoy
http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3783

Offline mersey pirate

• Main Stander
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 03:40:53 pm »
What a read this has been! Thanks.
The captain is fantastic.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 04:14:28 pm »
That`s brilliant.

I had no idea that Liverpool were the first team to win back to back 2nd Division/1st Division Championships. In fact my shoddy memory had led me to believe that Forest were the only team to do it...even though they didn't!
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Broomy

• Boys Pen
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 04:18:47 pm »
These Raisbeck articles are a fascinating series... Its wonderful getting an insight into what the players and football was like all those years ago... Keep up the great work lads!