Author Topic: Iago Aspas rejoins Celta Vigo  (Read 15711 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: Iago Aspas rejoins Celta Vigo
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2015, 05:01:00 pm »
The best goal scorer we've had. "Goal" in the singular...

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2015, 06:33:27 pm »
A shame, I thought he could become a Bellamy type player for us. It was more a case of wrong place, wrong time.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2015, 06:36:10 pm »
A shame, I thought he could become a Bellamy type player for us. It was more a case of wrong place, wrong time, not very good.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2015, 01:04:31 am »
You've spectacularly missed my point, and have even suggested I was comparing aspas and coutinho, which is a bizarre conclusion.

The point I was making is that we will not get every signing right. Your initial argument suggested that because Aspas wasn't good enough, we didn't have the quality of 3rd choice striker that could have won the game against Chelsea, and that this may have cost us the league. You then linked this to a poor transfer strategy.

My opposing view is to try and have some perspective and show that we signed two inexpensive players only 5 months earlier, who despite signs of promise at their clubs were actually both inconsistent rejects at the time, and a gamble for us. No amount of retrospective stat-pulling will convince me you knew anything about Coutinho before he was linked with us, and I recall the universal view on Sturridge was that he had some quality but was viewed with caution and could go either way.

Its easy to say we should be signing players like alonso, mascherano sturridge and coutinho, but they certainly weren't 'world class' before we signed them. I always find it odd when people pick out players that became incredible for us and then say 'we should sign those types of players', as if its that easy. Aspas might have turned out well, but he didn't, and we move on.

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree. This thread is about Aspas and not the clubs transfer strategy.

There is one big thing Aspas and Coutinho have in common, they were both brought to the attention of the club by the same scout. Some transfers work, some don't, we got our money back, end of story.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2015, 01:32:03 am »
I was absolutely livid when he managed to screw up that corner so badly.

I'd love to comment on more of his stint here, but that is literally the only part I remember. Apparently he scored once, but I can't say I remember it.

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
  • He hits them from 40 yards...
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2015, 06:04:31 am »
Think he would have been more useful this season than Balo and Lambert combined. Circumstance of some horrendous timing. Good luck to the lad.
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05
               YNWA

Offline WooltonDave

• Best car driver in Woolton. According to himself.
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2015, 06:16:47 am »
Let us never speak of this again.
Aahhhhh. Hot potato, orchestra stalls, Puck will make amends
"He's got a kiss from a man wearing a blue and white shirt".............Quasimodo............Lady Killer.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2015, 06:28:14 am »
Us recovering a good portion of money should not cover up the fact that his transfer was a pointless, aimless, statistical shot in the dark.
We aimed for something but shot ourselves in the end.

Farewell Iago, wasn't your fault.