Author Topic: Liverpool v Southampton - Half Time Discourse  (Read 7069 times)

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool v Southampton - Half Time Discourse
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2014, 02:31:40 pm »
One other thing, Bertrand really isn't as bad as people made out in the transfer forum. I wouldn't mind him LB for us today.
Yes looked good, should have seen a yellow though.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • La la la la la
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2014, 02:32:18 pm »
We're winning but I honestly don't like Lucas-Gerrrard together at all.  The midfield battle is not exactly going our way, and the best move we've put together was when Henderson came back into the midfield where his pressure is much more effective.

Lucas or Gerrard off for Ibe would be interesting.  Or maybe Lambert even.

I've never been a fan of Lucas and Gerrard in the same central pairing, I always think it needs Lucas with A.N.Other and Gerrard just ahead of him. They just seem to get in each other's way. Be interesting to see what Brendan does in the second half.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2014, 02:32:21 pm »
Yep nailed it - said it would be this way last night when the team was leaked
It's especially weird against Soton who have Schniederlin and Wanyama sitting
I have no clue why rodgers would go back to it after watching last season

Exactly. I had a discussion in the prematch thread about why Lucas/Gerrard always dropped so deep last season, but in this game it's certainly got nothing to do with the CBs, they're holding a good line. Lucas and Gerrard aren't moving enough though, either dropping back in line, coming short for one touch, or in Lucas' case standing in positions where no-one can bloody pass to them!

It's hardly surprising that Coutinho has been isolated when Lucas and Gerrard are so deep - they pass forward and sit, and it's somehow upto Coutinho to beat Shneiderlin and Wanyama on his own.

They're not even doing a particularly effective defensive/containing job either.. Just baffling.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2014, 02:32:30 pm »
Think Lucas has been in the game more than Stevie G. But I guess its impossible to sub  Gerrard.

The issue is more about which of them is likely to do something to help us break down Soton again, Lucas has looked tidy enough but not really given any indication that it would be him.

Offline Mike Basset

• Anny Roader
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2014, 02:32:35 pm »
Just a little bit slow at the moment. Hendo being out wide and two fairly immobile CM's doesnt lend itself to a fast tempo, free flowing game. Cou really has no chance when isolated against Wanyama and Schneiderlin. 1v1 i'd back him but they are both always there to cover for each other without having anyone else to mark really. I'd switch to a 4-3-3, get Hendo in the middle and shift Cou out wide but allow him to drift in.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2014, 02:32:36 pm »
3 points and everyone comes off sound.

Hopefully have Markovic and Moreno available and possibly Lallana for next weekend.
Exactly.  First game of the season is always dodgy as fuck, get the three points, keep everyone fit, move on.  We'll improve as the season goes on.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2014, 02:32:53 pm »
Lovren's positioning is excellent

Don't feel nervous with him there. The last time that was the case was when big Sami was playing.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline karl740

• Kopite
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2014, 02:33:26 pm »
Not sure about this.  Wrong is different from not playing at our best.

Don't think Lucas/gerrard are playing bad just too deep and creating a big gap to the attack. I think that is down to the tactics.