Author Topic: LGBT athletes  (Read 676 times)

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
LGBT athletes
« on: October 15, 2012, 06:28:02 pm »
This discussion recently came up between my friends, after our college hockey team came out with this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=twSbJKgJ8ag

They are talking about the late Brendan Burke, son of Toronto Maple Leafs and US Olympic hockey team's manager Brian Burke.

Here's a story about Brendan. It's pretty long but interesting: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=buccigross_john&id=4685761

Unfortunately, a couple of months after that article was published, "Burkie" as he was lovingly known around campus, died in a car accident.

To honour his memory and to carry forward his legacy, his father start the "You can play, you can play" campaign. More about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Can_Play

Which brings me to the question: How long before he have someone high-profile in football come out about their sexuality? With the scale and reach football has, it is hard to believe there are only heterosexuals playing the sport.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LGBT athletes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:32:07 pm »
Just statistically speaking, there are plenty of gay footballers out there.

I'm with the secret footballer on this, though admittedly I'm quite liberal, if I was a player, I would have no issue with having a gay teammate. As long as the work gets done, brilliant. The supporters is another story though.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:40:26 pm »
The thing is I am sure most players, clubs and managers would be fine working alongside a player that is gay but the fans particularly the rivals fans will chant about it and abuse the player. The situation is similar to situation with black players in 80's.

Offline SkrtelPower

• NewCold
  • Kopite
  • Leave it yeeeeeeeah! Queen of his own world.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 04:57:00 am »
The abuse a gay player would get from the turnstiles makes it not worthit to "come out" whilst still playing.

Some of the abuse Sol Campbell recieved for example, and he is married to a female!!

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 05:30:15 am »
The abuse a gay player would get from the turnstiles makes it not worthit to "come out" whilst still playing.

Some of the abuse Sol Campbell recieved for example, and he is married to a female!!
I hear that being married doesn't mean much, and a lot of gays are married. So I wonder if Campbell is indeed a gay.

I am not sure how "coming out" is important for LGBT. It seems a lot of them want to be at peace with themselves by telling everybody. But why? Most people don't give a shit, and of those who do, they only do care so that they can use it against them. Stay in the closet.