Author Topic: Trust...it ain't what you say, it's the way that you do it...  (Read 14907 times)

Offline rola

• Main Stander
Re: Trust...it ain't what you say, it's the way that you do it...
« Reply #80 on: September 1, 2012, 10:45:21 pm »
I thought I'd revisit this to see if I feel any different.

Now that the football has started I like the look of what Rodgers is trying to do on the pitch. He seemed clear about what he wanted out of the transfer window, offloading players who didn't fit his profile and bringing in others who do.  The man seems to have a very clear idea of what he wants to achieve in terms of playing style and how he's going to go about doing it. It's early days but the initial signs on Rodgers the coach look to be positive.  As he's said himself, he's bags of experience as coach over a number of years.

It remains to be seen how he will cope with the pressure and politics of being at a big club.  The management side of things can twist and turn as we've seen with previous managers in recent years. Right now, I feel that he needs better support than he's getting - and that's purely from the football administration side of things. It's such a massive job for a young and inexperienced manager to take on. I don't know whether the whole football side of LFC is working as well as it should and could. The football collective doesn't appear to have materialised & the DOF idea appears to have been swept under the carpet. 

I suppose time will tell on that. Pep Segura has left - supposedly because a mooted role as Technical Director didn't happen. I can't help feeling that a set up with Rodgers as manager/head coach supported by Pep as Technical Director + an experienced Sporting Director to oversee the football administration would have been a better set up - for the club and for Rodgers.  With the benefit of hindsight, I think it might have given a new manager a much stronger support network to do his job.  Right now, he looks isolated and exposed to me (I know he has his backroom team) with what looks like only Ayre to do the football admin stuff and a technical vacancy at the Academy.

As far all the other stuff I expressed doubts about - I don't feel any better about them now. The owners need to sort out their act because they look to me to be out of their depth with regard to owning and running a football club. They need an experienced and capable chief executive to hand over day to day running of the club. Not Ian Ayre. The Board is populated part-time trans-atlantic execs.  That can't be good for the ongoing health & stability of the football operation. On top of that I can't help feeling that LFC is a minor concern for Henry & Werner compared to their baseball and other interests. 

Time will tell I suppose.  Right now, I'm glad the football has started and transfer window is over.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the manager, the team & the players perform this season.  That side of it, at least, still interests and excites me as much as ever.  I should know better by now, but I can't stay away from it.  I'm hopeful that Rodgers and his new team will generate some excitement at Anfield and that the bond of trust between manager, team & supporters will grow into a really strong one. That could be a real positive - fortress Anfield back and the place getting a football inspired buzz about it again.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2012, 11:47:21 pm by rola »
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: September 1, 2012, 10:54:19 pm »
 ;D

Naw, you're going to be mighty disappointed mate.

This Club is headed for mediocrity, and anyone who can't see that is only increasing their chance of committing hari-kari by November.

Accept it. Deal with it, don't get too excited by a home draw against Man City.  Set the bar low (those in charge are doing that already..) and love the ride. 

I'm fine with 7th place, accepted that long ago. A few nice wins here and there, one or two great goals, perhaps a surprise win against a big team. That will be a good season. Then its about hoping that Man U get beat every week to provide any satisfaction really.  In fact, thats how it is now, worse than ever before. We aren't so much Liverpool fans anymore, but Man U haters.

Cos we keep on getting hit below the belt worse each year, and since 2007 its only been getting worse.

Offline rola

• Main Stander
« Reply #82 on: September 1, 2012, 11:05:28 pm »
Enjoying the ride is where I'm at and I think there's every chance accepting 7th could make you a supreme optimist. 
On the other hand I think there's a chance we might play some decent football (eventually).  Final position depends on home form because I think we're really going to struggle on the road this year.   
Like I said - I should know better by now, but I can't help getting excited when the football starts even with all the other shite going on. Suppose I'm easy pleased or just a bit simple minded. 

Offline WavertreeRed

• Anny Roader
  • Internet Terrorist, Detonating emails every 5 mins
« Reply #83 on: September 1, 2012, 11:24:25 pm »
Suppose I'm easy pleased or just a bit simple minded.

Its neither of those things mate. Its because you're a football fan. :)
Will you please kindly refrain from all this rational common sense bollocks.

Someone has said something on a social networking site, so it must be true.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #84 on: September 1, 2012, 11:25:51 pm »
Been saying for months don't judge them on what they say but what they do! Only way no trust left in what they say anymore.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #85 on: September 1, 2012, 11:27:10 pm »
All this because we didn't sign a striker on deadline day.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #86 on: September 1, 2012, 11:30:24 pm »

If you believe that you're FSG's dream fan.

Or you didn't bother to read the original; post.
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: September 1, 2012, 11:31:48 pm »
I thought I'd revisit this to see if I feel any different.

Now that the football has started I like the look of what Rodgers is trying to do on the pitch. He seemed clear about what he wanted out of the transfer window, offloading players who didn't fit his profile and bringing in others who do.  The man seems to have a very clear idea of what he wants to achieve in terms of playing style and how he's going to go about doing it. It's early days but the initial signs on Rodgers the coach look to be positive.  As he's said himself, he's bags of experience as coach over a number of years.

It remains to be seen how he will cope with the pressure and politics of being at a big club.  The management side of things can twist and turn as we've seen with previous managers in recent years. Right now, I feel that he needs better support than he's getting - and that's purely from the football administration side of things. It's such a massive job for a young and inexperienced manager to take on. I don't know whether the whole football side of LFC is working as well as it should and could. The football collective doesn't appear to have materialised & the DOF idea appears to have been swept under the carpet. 

I suppose time will tell on that. Pep Segura has left - supposedly because a mooted role as Technical Director didn't happen. I can't help feeling that a set up with Rodgers as manager/head coach supported by Pep as Technical Director + an experienced Sporting Director to oversee the football administration would have been a better set up - for the club and for Rodgers.  With the benefit of hindsight, I think it might have given a new manager a much stronger support network to do his job.  Right now, he looks isolated and exposed to me (I know he has his backroom team) with what likes like only Ayre to do the football admin stuff and a technical vacancy at the Academy.

As far all the other stuff I expressed doubts about - I don't feel any better about them now. The owners need to sort out their act because they look to me to be out of their depth with regard to owning and running a football club. They need an experienced and capable chief executive to hand over day to day running of the club. Not Ian Ayre. The Board is populated part-time trans-atlantic execs.  That can't be good for the ongoing health & stability of the football operation. On top of that I can't help feeling that LFC is a minor concern for Henry & Werner compared to their baseball and other interests. 

Time will tell I suppose.  Right now, I'm glad the football has started and transfer window is over.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the manager, the team & the players perform this season.  That side of it, at least, still interests and excites me as much as ever.  I should know better by now, but I can't stay away from it.  I'm hopeful that Rodgers and his new team will generate some excitement at Anfield and that the bond of trust between manager, team & supporters will grow into a really strong one. That could be a real positive - fortress Anfield back and the place getting a football inspired buzz about it again.

Actually this window I think it's what's been said that is making people feel a bit rubbish. I think the general direction we've taken this summer to get rid of more deadwood and bring in 2-3 players of potential real quality plus change the formation we're playing and look to be using kids a bit more is very refreshing. We'd still be thinking we're short but if Rodgers had come out and said on Friday morning he was happy with the squad and if Werner starts to engage his brain before opening his gob then things wouldn't feel so rubbish.

This season will be tough, but i'm with you, I'm just glad the footy is starting again properly.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 1, 2012, 11:38:52 pm »

People like you really have no clue, do you?

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #89 on: September 1, 2012, 11:39:33 pm »
People like you really have no clue, do you?

I love you
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #90 on: September 1, 2012, 11:49:22 pm »
I love you

i hope you love the Club as much as he does though.

Offline KK Legend

• Anny Roader
« Reply #91 on: September 1, 2012, 11:51:18 pm »
I've lost optimism, faith, and confidence... but not trust.

Regarding reputation, I personally haven't seen anything to indicate anything other than that they don't hold the traditions of Liverpool FC with respect, but perhaps I'm missing something.

What about the tradition of the 110 season ticket holders in the main stand, season tickets which were likely to be in the family over a generation if not more, supporters of a generation or more just upped and moved elswhere to make way for corporates or we have the traditional supply of tickets to supporters clubs the length and breadth of the country who will now it seems have to look to Thomas Cook for a match ticket and in doing so take out a bankloan just to get it...tradition?

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #92 on: September 1, 2012, 11:53:55 pm »
What about the tradition of the 110 season ticket holders in the main stand, season tickets which were likely to be in the family over a generation if not more, supporters of a generation or more just upped and moved elswhere to make way for corporates or we have the traditional supply of tickets to supporters clubs the length and breadth of the country who will now it seems have to look to Thomas Cook for a match ticket and in doing so take out a bankloan just to get it.,.tradition?

This and a lot more. Alongside the stagnant stance on the stadium, this has to be the most troubling and concerning issue. Its all about commercial revenue now, and they will try to drive the recurring expenses , wages included, so to make the books look good.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #93 on: September 2, 2012, 12:36:18 am »
;D

Naw, you're going to be mighty disappointed mate.

This Club is headed for mediocrity, and anyone who can't see that is only increasing their chance of committing hari-kari by November.

Accept it. Deal with it, don't get too excited by a home draw against Man City.  Set the bar low (those in charge are doing that already..) and love the ride. 

I'm fine with 7th place, accepted that long ago. A few nice wins here and there, one or two great goals, perhaps a surprise win against a big team. That will be a good season. Then its about hoping that Man U get beat every week to provide any satisfaction really.  In fact, thats how it is now, worse than ever before. We aren't so much Liverpool fans anymore, but Man U haters.

Cos we keep on getting hit below the belt worse each year, and since 2007 its only been getting worse.

Excellent post Shaun, and exactly how I see us going.  It's not going to be pretty for some time to come.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #94 on: September 2, 2012, 12:37:29 am »
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline moses

• Anny Roader
  • liverpool are magic, everton are tragic..
« Reply #95 on: September 2, 2012, 12:50:05 am »
sick of Americans running the club. 'soccer' will never in their blood nor their first priority. they just don't understand it nor ever will appreciate the passion or emotion involved as its not a sport their nation takes to heart. the sooner they sell up the better.
'I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure'

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #96 on: September 2, 2012, 12:53:59 am »
I love him as well.

I love that you love him but I don't love him
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #97 on: September 2, 2012, 01:00:00 am »
At the end of the day, after all this shit we are posting, including me, if we win tomorrow we will be happy and if we lose we will be unhappy. It's all that counts really, we've all got opinions and they are not, at this stage, either right or wrong until events determine that. A header that is saved, a broken leg, a last minute own goal etc All these random events determine whether things are right or wrong.

Just look at how scabby Chelsea were last year, against us in the cup final we were a save away from equalising and probably going on to win and as for the CL they were battered three games on the run and came away as Champions of Europe and Di Matteo now has a job he never stood a chance of getting.

Was he right, well now it looks like it but it was ultimately very lucky indeed.

What we have done is narrowed our margins and increased our reliance on luck
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: September 2, 2012, 01:00:54 am »
the sooner they sell up the better.
Fair enough but sell to who? Who exactly is this "ideal" potential owner that you have in mind?

Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline TXRed

• Anny Roader
  • Just a Bible-thumpin' Liverpool-lovin' Yank
« Reply #99 on: September 2, 2012, 01:17:59 am »
I trust Rodgers to the core. I truly believe that if he is backed properly, he can do great things here. I do NOT trust Ian Ayre at all, and I believe he needs to be replaced by someone much more qualified for the job. The jury is still out on FSG for me. They have done a lot for the club since taking over, a lot more than the "haters" would probably like to admit or choose to ignore. I also understand that they are business men and they want to make a profit from owning LFC while trying to make the club more competitive for a CL spot. Not an easy task, as we've seen. They've also flip flopped on public statements and haven't come through on some things, which has understandably been frustrating.

I don't think there's any doubt we flopped on deadline day, as we have 5 (five) forward players. Little depth and a lot of question marks and doubt. Overall I thought the transfer window was good, as we strengthened the club, cut dead weight players, and kept a hold of our best players. Not sure who other than Ayre to blame for Friday though. Whether it was Dempsey, Sturridge, or Joe Blow, we needed players and  someone(s) failed in upper management and needs to be held accountable. I hope we can muster enough goals till January. Not depressed though, and I can't wait to watch us take on Aresenal tomorrow morning. YNWA!!
« Last Edit: September 2, 2012, 01:19:49 am by TXRed »

Offline rola

• Main Stander
Trust...it ain't what you say, it's the way that you do it...
« Reply #100 on: September 2, 2012, 02:21:36 am »
sick of Americans running the club. 'soccer' will never in their blood nor their first priority. they just don't understand it nor ever will appreciate the passion or emotion involved as its not a sport their nation takes to heart. the sooner they sell up the better.

It's not about Americans. Nationality isn't the issue. The issue, for me, and for many others I think, is the complete disconnect between the priorities and aspirations of supporters, and those of the owners.

Supporters crave success and dream of a team playing great football. They live for the experience, the passion & the sheer joy of being part of LFC.  They value the committed manager, the talented player & what happens in the 90 minutes.

Owners live for the bottom line of the balance sheet, the profit margin & the capital gains. They value commercial revenue streams, sponsorship deals & media profiles.

Until the two sets of interests become more aligned there's always going to be tension between supporters & owners. It's always been like that to some extent but the gulf is wider than ever now. Part of the reason for that is that the commercial side of things is more of an imperative than the football side now. That makes people like me uncomfortable, distrustful and occasionally a bit arsey.

The likes of Rafa & Kenny helped bridge that divide because they shared the passions & priorities of supporters. I'm cautiously optimistic that Brendan Rodgers is cut from the same football cloth.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2012, 02:23:55 am by rola »

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #101 on: September 2, 2012, 03:50:14 am »
Thing is.... I remember during the H&G Firesale and almost everyone to a man was saying the same thing. "We donīt want sugar daddy owners..... give us someone who reinvest the profit into the club and give us money from the player sales and that will do".

So I find it very hard, if not impossible, to criticise FSG from a financial point of view. I think theyīve given us what we all asked for and a little more.

What I would like is for them to talk less. I think from a supporters point of view we would all like that. Thankfully Henry seems to have stopped twitting his opinions on everything LFC. The problem is that I think Liverpoolīs name has taken a bit of a hammering and they feel they need a "PR Offensive" to fix it. For us supporters itīs not a problem. We couldnīt care less if everyone hates us. However I imagine commercially itīs easier to ask for larger sums when your rep is squeaky clean. So I can understand that, even though I donīt like it.

Iīm also very encouraged by the last transfer window and Royhendo had an excellent thread about this before it was killed by the Ayres arguements. The old saying "Rome wasnīt build in a day" very much applies to us at the moment. We have to many problems to fix them all at once but we seem to have laid some good foundations this summer. Lucas, Allen, Sahin, Henderson and Shelvey all look a solid, versatile and youthful midfield platform to attack from. I also think weīll now see Gerrard more as an attacker following the failure to sign another forward where I believe he will thrive.

Looking in isolation, signing Allen, Yesil, Borini and Assaidi is the right sort of transfers for a club to bemaking. Boriniīs fee seems more or less reasonable and I think heīll prove an excellent player... just that it will take a few months to find his feet and start scoring. However, Allen, Assaidi and Yesil all look like bargains. Regardless of the unknown status of the later two for a combined Ģ3.5m fee it represents almost 0 risk. However given germanys pedrigree for producing attacking talent at the moment, signing their star striker from the U18 group could save us Ģ20m in the coming seasons. Likewise, if Assaidi is even half as good as youtube seems to suggest, he could be our very own Georgi Kinkladze. Some complete unknown who can waltze through opponents defences with ease.

With Rodgers, there has to be some question marks about his experience but there is little I can fault him for so far. Itīs safe to assume the failure to add another attacker falls far from his shoulders. Also his handling of Raheem has been superb. He grounded him, got his attitude in check, then rewards him with time on the pitch. He also now has some kids to point at in Morgan and Sterling to say to our reserves "that is what happens if you follow our instruction". Hopefully it acts as the kick up the arse Suso is rumoured to need. Do what we ask and youīll be rooming with your mate Sterling on the away trips with the seniors instead of sitting at home on your laptop complaining on twitter of the unfairness of the world.

While all the above is fairly positive, there are of course several concerns that still remain unanswered. Our structure. The stadium. Most worrying is I understand it took a little over 3 years to make any decision on Fenway. We just cannot afford to sit around doing nothing until 2014.

However, I think with any owners we would have things we are happy about. Things we arenīt. Balancing everything up Iīm still fairly positive about their time here and I do see signs we are going in the right direction. For most of the things I donīt like, I at least understand and accept the reasoning behind it. So Iīm going to cut them the slack they ask for. Or maybe itīs giving them enough rope to hang themselves. Only time will tell.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 2, 2012, 04:32:26 am »
Thing is.... I remember during the H&G Firesale and almost everyone to a man was saying the same thing. "We donīt want sugar daddy owners..... give us someone who reinvest the profit into the club and give us money from the player sales and that will do".

So I find it very hard, if not impossible, to criticise FSG from a financial point of view. I think theyīve given us what we all asked for and a little more.

Thank you for that. Essential reading. We need to show patience. We have some way to go ...
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: September 2, 2012, 04:55:49 am »

Pretty much

Although I'm not going to say why I think most on here don't like them

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: September 2, 2012, 04:56:46 am »

In that sense you are perfectly right, however, in the current climate, it will be nowehere enough for us to challenge for CL spots. The goalposts keep shifting, Spurs already with a decent squad are spending huge amounts, of course they have a billionaire fan as owner. The worry is that without significant investment, which they never promised, we'll fall way behind. There is a real danger that our demise becomes semi permenant.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 2, 2012, 05:13:12 am »
I am in no mood to be as eloquent as some of the others who have posted. But, I do not trust these owners. They are just Randy Lerner/Mike Ashley clones. They lie without batting an eyelid. How can they be telling the truth when Henry says "the idea is to be competing to win the league". There is no way we can win the league in three years with the squad we have. City spent massively and even then just barely managed to win it.
Either Henry and co. are retards to believe they are going to get us to win the league, without high investment on the pitch or they are liars. Arsene Wenger has tried to live within budget, and it just doesn't work, when you are trying to win the league.
So, stop bullshitting, and say it as it is. Say that you want us to be competitive without really investing too much. Say that you lied when you said that you would build the new stadium. And, say that you are just commodity brokers who bought a property for a low price and will sell at a high price when the markets are favourable. Say, that you have no clue about football, and are here to just get some brand recognition, and then fuck off back from where you came.
But, please stop with the lying, stop it when you say we can compete with anyone. Your honesty will be more appreciated than anything else.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #106 on: September 2, 2012, 05:26:10 am »
I'm fine with FSG.
We are debt free essentially.
Last transfer window they splashed a lot of cash. Great investment, unfortunately wrong players.
Again they allowed net of maybe Ģ25mil this summer. Also they spent a ton on RH, KD, and BR severances etc.
Got rid of quite a few bad players on a lot of money that were bleeding the club. If we are to live within our means in the FFP era it needed done. Cole to go still.
 I just wish that the current purchases and manager work out. Let's hope they do, and hopefully once we start making money due to increasing revenues and decreased Wages, next summer maybe we will spend Ģ50 mil. The owners have not, unlike H&G taken any money out of the club, quite to the contrary. We can blame them for not being oil rich Arabs or Russians but that would be silly.
They have my vote as long as they do as above.

Offline WILF

• Main Stander
« Reply #107 on: September 2, 2012, 05:26:27 am »
I am in no mood to be as eloquent as some of the others who have posted. But, I do not trust these owners. They are just Randy Lerner/Mike Ashley clones. They lie without batting an eyelid. How can they be telling the truth when Henry says "the idea is to be competing to win the league". There is no way we can win the league in three years with the squad we have. City spent massively and even then just barely managed to win it.
Either Henry and co. are retards to believe they are going to get us to win the league, without high investment on the pitch or they are liars. Arsene Wenger has tried to live within budget, and it just doesn't work, when you are trying to win the league.
So, stop bullshitting, and say it as it is. Say that you want us to be competitive without really investing too much. Say that you lied when you said that you would build the new stadium. And, say that you are just commodity brokers who bought a property for a low price and will sell at a high price when the markets are favourable. Say, that you have no clue about football, and are here to just get some brand recognition, and then fuck off back from where you came.
But, please stop with the lying, stop it when you say we can compete with anyone. Your honesty will be more appreciated than anything else.

Great post, but: snowball. hell, chance: comes to mind
They are "businessmen" not fans
Truth is an alien concept for them

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #108 on: September 2, 2012, 05:30:52 am »

Does no one believe that FFP will be implemented. Notice, with the exception of Chelsea who got a CL windfall that spending was down. I like our system now, and the squad may be good enough to challenge for top four spot, if we focus on the PL.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #109 on: September 2, 2012, 05:31:03 am »
In that sense you are perfectly right, however, in the current climate, it will be nowehere enough for us to challenge for CL spots. The goalposts keep shifting, Spurs already with a decent squad are spending huge amounts, of course they have a billionaire fan as owner. The worry is that without significant investment, which they never promised, we'll fall way behind. There is a real danger that our demise becomes semi permenant.

I agree entirely actually, we do need significant investment. My question is, is right now the best time to invest?

I ask that because if you look around the European markets, La Liga actually made a huge net profit. Most of the other leagues too. In fact only the British, Russian, asian and middle eastern leagues made net losses in the transfer market. France also but that is entirely down to PSG and therefore is pretty much an anomoly. I donīt think itīs a one off either. Everyone is tightening their belts.... everyone except the Premier League. Spurs spent massive amounts, yes, but actually made a net profit above Ģ15m. In 3 or 4 years time if we flog Allen to Real Madrid for an obscene amount of money then we will have bucket loads to spend too.

Anyway I digress, I actually think player valuations are hugely inflated at the moment. Wages too. If everybody around Europe is spending less then, logically, prices have to come down. It just isnīt sustainable. There are only so many players the big spenders can register for competitions too so they canīt keep the market inflated with their money. Also a lot of clubs are struggling to shift players that they no longer require. Have a look around the deals done in Italy on deadline day for example and you will see a lot of players being given free transfers or having their contracts terminated at midnight. The more the market is saturated with players then that will drive wages down too.

When we took the Ģ50m for Torres it's been deemed a mistake to have rushed into the deal for Carroll. Yesterday we didnīt rush into any deals. Maybe we asked around and were being quoted Ģ30m for Llorrente and players of that level. I know for a fact Internacional are telling any enquirers to the availability of Leandro Damaio that he will cost the same as Neymar or Lucas Moura. Lucas cost PSG a batshit insane Ģ35.5m. So despite the fact that Ganso's owners publically stated they would sell him this transfer window, Internacional signing Forlan to replace Damaio and Neymar stating many times that he is now "Ready for Europe".... all three are still playing here in Brasil. With only PSG willing to pay those prices at the moment, only Lucas Moura could find a new home.

Time will tell how badly having only 2 senior forwards on our books will cost us, if at all. Maybe we dodged Andy Carroll mk II. If FSG had stumped up the Ģ35.5m interest free loan to the club to sign Damiao we wouldnt have had that implosion yesterday in the transfer forum. However if he scored 4 goals for us this season and then we were struggling to find a use for him just 12 to 18 months later.... everybody to a man would be crucifying FSG for repeating the same mistake again.

Personally I think Damiao is the real deal and will score a bucket load of goals for someone. I thought the same think about Falcao. Then again, I thought the same thing about Andy Carroll too.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Red Reign

• Anny Roader
  • Get Busy Livin' or Get Busy Dyin'.
Trust...it ain't what you say, it's the way that you do it...
« Reply #110 on: September 2, 2012, 07:31:25 am »

Don't try and speak some sense, you will be chastised.

This reactionary culture on rawk gets tedious but  can't stay away. *sigh*
“Just go out and drop a few hand grenades all over the place son.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: September 2, 2012, 08:21:43 am »
Does no one believe that FFP will be implemented. Notice, with the exception of Chelsea who got a CL windfall that spending was down. I like our system now, and the squad may be good enough to challenge for top four spot, if we focus on the PL.

If you believe that bolded part, I have no words for you. We have no one for the right side. We play a 21 year old  with a season's top flight experience, who "wait for it", doubles as our second striker in a striker force of "wait for it" two strikers.
We have a 20million failed winger, who is so useless we rather play him at left back. If moneyball is about stats, I believe FSG and the plethora of analysts they have would have seen the stats for goals scored last season - 46 in the league. Which, if had to be rectified needed goal scorers. We let go of Maxi, Kuyt, Bellamy, Carroll and bring in Borini. And, this is the best part, when the manager said "we need at least two goal scorers" two days before the deadline, we bring in "wait for it" zero strikers, which leaves the manager with egg on his face and an impossible task of getting top  7 let alone anything above.
I am sure that FSG are cheats, because if they aren't it would mean they are retards, which simply cannot be given that they are billionaires.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2012, 08:29:14 am by Carra-ton »
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #112 on: September 2, 2012, 08:29:42 am »
Fair enough but sell to who? Who exactly is this "ideal" potential owner that you have in mind?

Sheikh Mansour's richer older brother. That's who quite a few on here would like.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 2, 2012, 08:43:33 am »

I respectfully suggest that you take off the blinkers. Read some of the points and reasons being put forward by those who are concerned. You will soon see that it has nothing to do with a striker.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: September 2, 2012, 08:51:50 am »
Whilst the title of the thread is different the content is just the same as the "Brendan's next interview" and "What's really going on?". It's not the OPs fault, but once the question's been asked the rest of the thread is just the same old FSG berating/defending.

I think I'll go and read some formations for today's game elsewhere.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 2, 2012, 08:59:26 am »
Just to add

These forums are now infested by FSG trolls

and other assorted idiots

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: September 2, 2012, 09:00:11 am »
Just to add
These forums are now infested by FSG trolls

Deffo !!!
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline WILF

• Main Stander
« Reply #117 on: September 2, 2012, 09:01:11 am »
Such as ?? Mr Wingman?? I don't know who you are  referring to

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: September 2, 2012, 09:02:25 am »
And someone took away my 2 gold stars

Well done FSG Trolls

Are you OK?
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.