Author Topic: Neuromuscular Stimulation (NEMS) Machines  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Neuromuscular Stimulation (NEMS) Machines
« on: December 7, 2012, 03:32:42 pm »
I'm due to get one from my physical therapist to treat muscle atrophy and healing after my knee surgery 6 weeks ago, and I was wondering if I could use it for other purposes and muscle groups. They are giving it to me to help fire the Quad and Hamstrings as the former is weak right now and the latter is healing (they used it to graft a new ACL).

I've gotten a wee bit overweight since tearing the ACL so I was thinking using this unit to fire up the ab muscles while doing crunches, etc.

Has anyone had experience and hopefully success doing this?

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Neuromuscular Stimulation (NEMS) Machines
« Reply #1 on: December 8, 2012, 09:41:35 am »
Nicky, as a student physiotherapist I have to advise you that you should really only be using the machine for the use the physio is intending it to be used for.

Pheeny

« Reply #2 on: December 8, 2012, 12:33:59 pm »
Nicky, as a student physiotherapist I have to advise you that you should really only be using the machine for the use the physio is intending it to be used for.
aah a physiotherapist,now that gives me an idea for a thread "Welshred's Injuries" or something,if you are willing of course?
« Last Edit: December 8, 2012, 06:54:27 pm by Pheeny »

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 8, 2012, 05:37:43 pm »

Well it's not just a TENS unit, it's used to treat adema and atrophy too, and since the knee injury I've not done any exercises so a lot of my muscles is a bit sleepy. I wasn't planning on hooking it up and watching the telly, either. Just an aid to get back in shape and get the muscles firing.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4 on: December 9, 2012, 02:22:57 pm »
aah a physiotherapist,now that gives me an idea for a thread "Welshred's Injuries" or something,if you are willing of course?

Possibly when I graduate Pheeny, but I don't have anywhere near the experience I need right now to be able to give people advice. Is that ok?

Well it's not just a TENS unit, it's used to treat adema and atrophy too, and since the knee injury I've not done any exercises so a lot of my muscles is a bit sleepy. I wasn't planning on hooking it up and watching the telly, either. Just an aid to get back in shape and get the muscles firing.

Next time you go see the physio mention it then and see what they say, but right now I'd not use it for anything other than it's intended use. It's probably safe to use but I keep off it for now until you seek advice from someone far more experienced than I am.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 02:45:25 pm »
Cheers, will do. My insurance is paying for me to use it on my knee, which is why I'm weary of asking the physio, but I think we have enough a rapport by now. Hopefully.