Author Topic: Don't tell hm your name Pike!  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Don't tell hm your name Pike!
« on: February 5, 2024, 01:16:10 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/feb/05/dads-army-actor-ian-lavender-dies-aged-77

RIP :(

Dad’s Army actor Ian Lavender dies aged 77

Lavender, who played Private Pike in the much-loved British sitcom and also appeared in EastEnders, has died

The Dad’s Army and EastEnders actor Ian Lavender has died at the age of 77, his agent has said.

Lavender, who best known for playing Private Pike in the classic BBC comedy, was also its last surviving regular cast member. He died on Friday.

:(
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Don't tell hm your name Pike!
« Reply #1 on: February 5, 2024, 01:33:35 pm »

That's sad news. RIP Ian Lavender aka Private Pike. Wonderful character in an iconic comedy show.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2 on: February 5, 2024, 01:49:40 pm »
The last one  :'(
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #3 on: February 5, 2024, 02:19:03 pm »
Still love the show, sad that the last surviving member of the main cast has now passed away.

I think he got treated for sepsis a few years ago and had to give up working.

RIP Pike (Ian)
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #4 on: February 5, 2024, 03:48:27 pm »
stupid boy.

Online Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #5 on: February 6, 2024, 11:51:46 am »
Sad news , grew up watching this , my kids watched it and the grandkids watched it

One of the funniest clips of all time

https://youtu.be/_YMVPXmaKds?si=HwxsRnJhTXa3exzt
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #6 on: February 6, 2024, 04:21:01 pm »
Sad news , grew up watching this , my kids watched it and the grandkids watched it

I've seen that clip so many times and it's still funny.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: February 7, 2024, 12:01:38 am »
Such a great great show, one that links generations. Similarly with so many millennials, its passed on from my dad watching it. A real cosy comfort blanket and genuinely funny, its one of the very very few timeless TV programmes ever made.

The acting in it was superb, Arthur Lowe as Captain Mainwaring ranks as one of the best performances ever.

So sad to see Pike gone, the last one from the cast and crew and really does consign the show to history. RIP.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #8 on: February 8, 2024, 09:58:27 am »

A gem.

The whole show was a gem. A true ensemble comedy. As Matt says, the acting was superb.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: February 8, 2024, 10:56:11 am »
Does anyone know people who actually disliked this show? It was a comforting, multi-generational show, but it was also very very funny. Unlike some sitcoms from that era it didn’t leave a sense of unease or a bad taste in the mouth.

My favourite episode was the one where Frazer told the ghost story.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #10 on: February 8, 2024, 11:48:47 am »
Does anyone know people who actually disliked this show? It was a comforting, multi-generational show, but it was also very very funny. Unlike some sitcoms from that era it didn’t leave a sense of unease or a bad taste in the mouth.

With hindsight it was also the British at their best. A massively popular show which took the piss out of "Britain's Finest Hour." I think it must have been in the same episode ("Don't tell him Pike") where the Nazi officer, after several hours in the company of Mainwaring and his men, wonders how on earth Germany is losing the war.   
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #11 on: February 8, 2024, 04:07:13 pm »

My favourite is the one where the found out Godfey was a 'Conchie' (Conscientious Objector) in WW1 and so they shunned him.

Godfrey was such an underrated character. That episode gave me a tear in my eye.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2024, 09:29:13 am »
the greatest sit com of all time.  the casting, the script everything was class. never seems dated due to it being set in the past. had some real moments of pathos- the episode 'mums army' especially, Mainwarings " damn the bloody bank" when mrs Gray is about to depart for London thus ending the 'affair' theyd been involved in, and his look and almost tears with no laughter from the audience as she boards the train. Arthur lowe also portrays the best drunk on tv (rivals only  Richard E Grant in my opinion) most notably when playing Mainwarings twin brother.   The last ever scene is also a highlight when , to camera thus breaking the third wall, toast those in the home guard. 

Online Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2024, 01:11:59 pm »
Never really watched the show, and thought thread was something to do with travellers...
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!