Author Topic: Fanzines from the 70s to the 90s - help needed with research  (Read 562 times)

Offline That Kennedy moment

• "Down in 1...down in 1...or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..... *pause* .....47, 48, 49..... *sigh*.....
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why I'm here
Could anyone help me with research into fanzines in the UK, from the 1970s (Goal) onwards?

I'm writing a book about football since the 70s, and need to write a chapter on how fanzines emerged, how they fused football, music and fashion, and how influential they were in inspiring a lot of the lad culture of the 1990s (James Brown, Bill Borrows, Loaded, etc).

I also want to highlight how they were used to social/political ends - one Chelsea fanzine took a stand against the NF element at Stamford Bridge in the 1980s; any stories like that, I'd love to hear them.

If anyone on here was active in fanzines, please get in touch - I'd appreciate your insight.

If anyone has any interesting angles on how influential they were in shaping the new writing on football, launching positive agendas (like the Chelsea story), or initiatives between rival supporters - please get in touch.

I've already made a bit of a start with The End and Boys Own, but anything - really - would be much appreciated, and credited.

cheers,
'I'd rather have a quick wank, a cup of tea and read the Beano frankly.'
Cornelius, 8 September 2008