Author Topic: Pass, move... is it the Liverpool groove?  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
Pass, move... is it the Liverpool groove?
« on: April 5, 2012, 05:24:36 pm »

A cursory search for "pass and move" on RAWK produces, as one might imagine, plenty of reults. Some from the deepest depths of the archives.

I thought I'd ask everyone to weigh in and talk about one of the phrases most associated with LFC. What does pass and move mean to you? what does it mean in today's game? Are we a pass and move football team? Have we ever been? What does pass and move mean post total football, Cruyff and on with tiki-taka and Barcelona? Is it the kind of football you'd like to see Liverpool play or not? Is it effective or not?

Hopefully we can have an informative chat. With so many posters on RAWK who have a wealth of knowledge to share, I expect we'll hear some nteresting thoughts on the subject...

Have at it! Its better than working...

*                         *                           *                            *                         *

Offline postmaster

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Pass, move... is it the Liverpool groove?
« Reply #1 on: April 5, 2012, 05:48:43 pm »
We aren't a Barca or Arsenal, we don't even have a rigid or recognisable tactic. We could play with 5 at the back one game and 4 the next, nobody can predict our team with any certainty. Our focal point of our attack is a lanky, lumbering striker with the grace and technical skills to rival an elephant. Sometimes he's playing alone, sometimes he has a partner. Most of the time when the going gets tough (which happens to be most of the games currently), we get scared, negative and revert to our age old hoofball (which let's be honest, we're more recognisable for in recent times than any "pass, move" game., but we're unlikely to be making threads praising that). Personnel are never the same, we have a rigid midfield that doesn't attack the space or support the strikers by driving into the box.

I think our current league position and lack of goals contradicts any assertions of us having a tactic right now, let alone a "pass/move" one.

Offline NZ Red

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: April 5, 2012, 06:14:25 pm »
For me it's the quick exchange of passes in small spaces that leaves the opposition completely confused as to what's going on around them, like in this clip:

http://www.soccerclips.net/videos/liverpool-v-atletico-madrid-liverpool-pass-move-kuyt-chance-channel-5

It's nothing overly complicated, but it takes the right players with fast-processing football brains to pull it off. Once you have the right combination of intelligent players with technique and movement then it's incredible to watch.

I think we've played some great pass and move football at times this season, but the structural inconsistencies and changing of formations and players has damaged us. At the end of last season Kenny was consistently using a 4-3-3 system with the right sort of attacking players on the same wavelength (Maxi, Suarez, Meireles, Kuyt etc.), and as a result we produced some great performances. Unfortunately, this is why I don't see a future for Carroll at the club. He'll never be a 'pass and move' player, and I would rather see the personnel of the club be adjusted to suit the ethos and philosophy of the club rather than the other way around.

royhendo

« Reply #3 on: April 5, 2012, 06:32:31 pm »
A cursory search for "pass and move" on RAWK produces, as one might imagine, plenty of reults. Some from the deepest depths of the archives.

Why not read those threads then? ;)

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2012, 06:46:15 pm »
Pass and move isn't a tactic you employ.  It's something practically every single football team on the planet tries to do.  Even Stoke, even Hodgson's West Brom.  To be very good at it, you need to have players with good technique, with confidence and with good understanding.  I think we lack currently in all three of those areas.  Good understanding will come with time, confidence will come with results and form.  The first thing we need to address in the summer.  Maxi's almost complete freezing out by Kenny is one of the most worrying aspects of his tenure in my opinion.  I just don't understand why he doesn't rate him, and not just not rate him, seemingly not rate him at all.  It took injuries and hatricks to get him involved at the back end of last season despite him being undoubtedly one of our best performers then and this season, he's barely had a kick. He's not perfect but in a side which has so patently lacked that type of player, it is concerning that Maxi, someone who is so obviously that type of player, is ignored.

Kenny will get it sorted over the summer though I hope.

Offline GODS LEFT BOOT

• Legacy Fan
  • ...AND THE SWEET SILVER SONG OF THE LARK
« Reply #5 on: April 5, 2012, 06:48:07 pm »
In 1988 I was 8 /9.
We had a proper football coach come in one day and do a session - Mr Barnes he was called
At the end he was giving a talk and he asked who the best team was.
I'm from North London so there were lots of shouts for Arsenal & Spurs - and one cry of Everton from me mate Luke (Remember it was the 80's)
I put my hand up safe in the knowledge I had the right answer
He told me I was right and asked me why Liverpool were the best team, if I was a normal 8 year old red from London pre Sky etc I might not have had an answer but as I was obsessed so the answer came easy

'Because they pass the ball'

'Say that again' he said, so I did and he then went on to explain in detail to the class why were the best and had been for years - we passed the ball better than anyone else. 

I think that was the first time I felt pride.

If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline twistedthoughts

• Kemlynite
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2012, 06:49:37 pm »
Pass and Move is a lot easier if they can play with both feet. How many liverpool players can you name that can ????

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
« Reply #7 on: April 5, 2012, 06:58:12 pm »
Why not read those threads then? ;)

Smart arse.  ;)

*                         *                           *                            *                         *

Offline thechulloran

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 5, 2012, 06:59:23 pm »
under rafa & now kenny most of the time it is pass & stand still its the Liverpool drill.

it should involve constant one two passes, & decoy/dummy runs like some of the highlights below

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-OfRCr9ZM9s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-OfRCr9ZM9s</a>
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists" - Tom Hicks

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #9 on: April 5, 2012, 07:04:41 pm »
well it certainly used to be.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/X9Bl4gLsfMY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/X9Bl4gLsfMY</a>

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: April 5, 2012, 08:46:19 pm »
Pass and move.  Everyone knows what passing is, give it to the guy in the same colour shirt.  The move is the important bit.  It means don't stand in one place where the defenders know where you are and can stay in one place.  The movement creates space and drags the defence around until someone is in the wrong place.  When done well there is a full back, a centerback and a midfielder all defending the wing where the ball was a second ago, and a forward or midfielder alone in the box about to shoot.  Done badly the ball wanders around 25 yards from the goal until someone runs away from where the ball is about to be passed and the other team gets the ball.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #11 on: April 5, 2012, 10:06:17 pm »
I think the greatest exponent of pass and move I have ever seen play for Liverpool was Rigobert Song. He would receive the ball, look up, quickly pass it forward then instantly move to try and win the ball back from whichever opposition player he had given it to.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline ReddyMac

• Kopite
  • These eyes seek more glory!!
« Reply #12 on: April 5, 2012, 10:16:38 pm »
Pass & move......& finish should be the new anfield rap!

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #13 on: April 5, 2012, 10:17:30 pm »
I think the greatest exponent of pass and move I have ever seen play for Liverpool was Rigobert Song. He would receive the ball, look up, quickly pass it forward then instantly move to try and win the ball back from whichever opposition player he had given it to.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 5, 2012, 10:21:32 pm »
we don't do it - farcical to think we do.

We did a bit of it in games in the second half of last year, but you need intelligent footballers to do it.  Like Maxi, for example.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #15 on: April 5, 2012, 10:27:10 pm »

;D

Made me chuckle that mate
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 5, 2012, 10:28:50 pm »
If football was an art, then currently we'd be Karl Pilkington whistling a tune while playing scrabble

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 5, 2012, 10:31:12 pm »
We'll get there.

Offline AJG

• Know All Transfer Guru and Fledgling DoF
  • Kopite
  • It's true, I was Comolli's apprentice
« Reply #18 on: April 5, 2012, 11:15:25 pm »
Pass and Move is a lot easier if they can play with both feet. How many liverpool players can you name that can ????

That's a good point. We seem to have a lot of players that are totally one footed
''I just want to say to him if your confidence is down in front of the 40,000 opponent's fans, just
imagine them like a frog, an ugly frog'' - Mohammad Shahrul

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 5, 2012, 11:39:31 pm »
Pass and move requires players with technique, intelligence, speed of thought and high fitness levels. We've seemingly been avoiding players with those attributes this season bar Suarez, leaving us with fairly static play that often ends with a Charlie Adam special from 40 yards that ends up in the stands.

We still seem to be at our best when using Rafa's players in a Rafa formation to be honest, either we need to wait for Kenny to put his full stamp on the squad or start looking to acquire more pass and move, pressing style players.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #20 on: April 6, 2012, 02:14:55 am »
under rafa & now kenny most of the time it is pass & stand still its the Liverpool drill.

it should involve constant one two passes, & decoy/dummy runs like some of the highlights below

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-OfRCr9ZM9s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-OfRCr9ZM9s</a>

That number 10 looks alright. Any idea who he is and how much he'd cost?
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #21 on: April 6, 2012, 02:21:53 am »
No.  A Tenner.

Offline sharpmono

• Kemlynite
« Reply #22 on: April 6, 2012, 04:49:37 am »

About 7.00 where ball went out to Barnes on the left, who then sent in a low cross in front of goal. Leeds #10 lost his man who scored (Speedie?) while he was admiring the ball over his head on its way to Barnes. Isn't that just bad defending?