Author Topic: Our attack  (Read 7120 times)

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Our attack
« Reply #80 on: December 7, 2011, 10:20:23 pm »
although hitting the post tends to result in an "we're so unlucky" "it's just a mtter of time" attitude hich misses out on taking responsibility for results.....2 things i observed and think are significant..

downing has hit the post 3 times from his own work, and deserves a turn in luck....the point i would make is that with a little better fortune, downing has 3 goals this season, 2 less than bale, 1 less than johnson, 1 more than young.....and his confidence is sky rocketing and his threat greatly increased.....my view anyway

carroll hit the bar twice - one header and one shot - when he tried to absolutely bury the chance......a symptom of him trying too hard and desperate for a goal......goals breed confidence, and he needs a break and to settle down and you will see more from him....how much more is another matter

just a little take on that area

killer heels' point about responsibility is a good one too....and i think henderson and downing can take responsibility, but need more confidence....additionally, adam does do that exactly....unfortunately he can still get slated for being greedy when doing just that and ignoring a better option.....we need to be more clinical....we need to finish with more consistency and calmnes, everybody...carroll, suarez, adam, downing, henderson, bellamy, kuyt....even the centre backs when up for corners (how often do we see skrtel or enrique sky a shot or cross when getting the ball in the box from a rebound or ricochet?)

hard to solve without a change in fortune first......
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Smug Cassandra

• outh strikes again :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Siempre Liverpool Siempre River Plate
« Reply #81 on: December 7, 2011, 10:54:41 pm »
As I posted earlier in the week we are 7th in the table and we are there on merit. Why? cos we dont win enough games. Why cos we have a striker like Luis that is shouldering too much.

Our team is very weak creatively and has been for countless years. Kenny hasnt dealt with it. Whether he will or not I dont know.

We dont have a strikeforce of 3 top class strikers vying for places. We havent had this for years too.

We have one striker who's great but cant do everything. Bellamy is great but not a striker.
! LIVERPOOL - EN LAS MALAS - MUCHO MAS !

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: December 7, 2011, 10:54:45 pm »
The thing is, I think we are at the point where we need to sign just to have appropriate depth, let alone any argument about the merits or lack thereof of players like Carroll and Downing.  If none of the youth are deemed worthy at this time, then we need additions.  I'm not really advocating a change - I agree with you that Maxi and Kuyt can be replaced in the summer.  But we need two more players in January.  And I think Bellamy can function as a Litmannen/Mccallister type

The closest of the youth players, Pacheco, was sent on loan to La Liga. I think we wanted the current setup. But in any case, it's not the youth players we should turn to now. It's the 100M worth of new signings, plus Kuyt and Maxi. I believe these are important times for us. It's now, when we struggle and when both our captain and vice captain are out, that we will get to see who can lead the way. It's an opportunity for the management team, as well as the players. A few years ago, Benayoun came to our rescue. Who can do it now? Right now there are lots of opportunities for our new signings to shape their future LFC careers. Lead the way now and we will treasure them. Hide and perhaps they shouldn't be here for much longer. Harsh perhaps, but the club has shown a lot of belief in our new players and they need to repay it. Kenny, Comolli and FSG have stuck their necks out and can't be happy with attacking players who are passengers in a team that struggles to score goals.

Bellamy has a role to play for sure, but what I'd want is a different type of player. It's the Benayoun, Luis Garcia or Litmanen I think we need the most now. A player who can break the pattern, a player who relies on his movement rather than his pace. I suspect this is one reason why Maxi has done well. He's different. And I believe it's quite possible that it's a short term fix we need, to get some confidence in.

With the older players mentioned, I think all three can have a role to play for another season. There seems to be an urge to get rid off Kuyt and Maxi (although that has changed recently), which I find odd. They were our two best goalscorers last season and we have completely forgotten that.
That sums up what I think we have done wrong. We have ripped things up, things that worked, and gone for something new. Which isn't working, at least not yet. And our answer is to dismiss those that did it for us, partly dismiss the current group and move forward with even newer players. We claim to have faith in our new signings, but we need to have better players immediately. You just need to look in the thread about our midfielders to see how the same ideas hold for our CM. There's no real trust in the likes of Spearing, Adam and Henderson.

I believe we'd be better off if we took a step back. Slow things down and find our feet. There have been so many changes already. Instead, let's try what worked last season, then try to include the new signings slowly into that setup. If history is anything to go by, Kuyt will get his usual 15 (goals + assists) if only given the games. Maxi has shown he can do it for us under Kenny. I also believe that approach would remove a lot of pressure on Carroll. Buy a new expensive striker and we'd in effect admit signing him was a mistake. That would be the costly and the wrong way IMO. It would signal a lack of belief, when I think we need stability. If we went with a short term signing, he wouldn't be a threat, but he could add some calm and stability.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez