Author Topic: Film to be made about Heysel  (Read 6558 times)

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
Film to be made about Heysel
« on: May 17, 2011, 04:41:02 pm »
Apologies if this has already been posted, or if it's in the wrong section. But heard on City that they are making a film about Heysel. It's based on a book which was written a while back. Does anybody know anything about this, or has anyone read the book(In the Crowd). Just wondering how it is going to portray the disaster. We all know we have to accept a part in it. But is this going to try portray us in a even worse light, or will it look at all the factors that lead to it happening, ie UEFA, Policing, both sets of fans, the stadium.
Again apologies if this is in the wrong place, just wondering people's thoughts on this and any relevant info about it.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/05/17/heysel-stadium-disaster-novel-to-be-made-into-film-100252-28708940/
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline DougLFC94

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Film to be made about Heysel
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:17:05 pm »
i found this about the book ,

"Back in football's golden age of the eighties when Stadiums were real traditional grounds with atmopshere; when pies and not burgers were on offer and when tickets cost a £5, every fan had a copy of the Shoot annual and a half filled Panini sticker album at home on a shelf.  These early reading materials were the bible's of our childhood; the recent renaissance and re-release of the Shoot annual shows that many of us wish we had kept the real thing when we were given them all those years ago. 

These days pointers towards ownership of the title of 'bible of the Football literature world' extends further than any Rothmans Football Yearbook, Shoot annual or any fashionable football hooliganism exploration effort of Cass Pennant.  From the 1990's onwards and even through the ground breaking All Played Out through to Fever Pitch and the modern day The Dammed United, great Football Novels have been arguably thin on the ground.   

French author Laurent Mauvignier's  In the Crowd has recently been mentioned in the same breath as Peace's stream of Consciousness soon to be movied Clough era effort.   But whilst The Damned United seeks to portray Clough's individual point of view by exporing his complex character's thought processes in a loose monologue (and in connection to his sensory reactions to external football occurrences) Mauvignier's effort chooses instead to concentrate on the emotions of the Heysel Stadium disaster that killed 39 spectators after a wall collapsed during the Liverpool - Juventus European Cup final in Brussels in May 1985.   

A number of voices are heard in every page as the agonised retrospect surrounding the the charge by Liverpool fans that leaves one of the main characters dead and the rest "unable to free" themselves unfolds.  In the aftermath of tragedy, our characters are placed amongst a gritty story that is more than simply a ghost written documentary catharthic blow out about hooliganism that so much of modern football writing can be. Yes, football's masculinity and group aggressions are evident but Mauvignier chooses to conjure up the demons of fandom in a different way than British authors such as Brimson and King have.

As with any football match anywhere in Europe, the book sees very different Europeans making their way to Brussels for the European Cup final in 1985 not knowing what history has now told us; that of  the ill-fated Heysel Stadium disaster.   Specifically our characters are a pair of beery, footie-mad lads from Paris Jeff and Tonino who venture to Brussels for the game.  In Brussels, they meet a local Belgian couple, Gabriel and Virginie, and newly-married lovebirds Tana and Francesco from Genoa.   
Three brothers from Liverpool intimidate their fellow-travellers as they make the pilgrimage to watch their beloved team play Juventus in the cup final.  Our English characters are Geoff Andrewson he of "everyone wants to blame the Scousers" views and the self doubting reluctant fan on a trip from Merseyside with his two brothers to see Liverpool play La Vecchia Signora.

Laurent Mauvignier’s devastating portrait of one of European football’s worst and most notorious tragedy and its bitter hateful aftermath has long been a big hit on bookshop shelves in France which may surprise many in the United Kingdom.   Switching briskly from character to character and capturing and portaying the changeable mood of a football crowd, Mauvignier explores what all football fans have seen but rarely experienced as those at Heysel in 1985 did.   Giddy big match excitement that we all feel quickly turns to fear and confusion as out teams loses.  This time however the fear and confusion is more than a result or the pain of a heavy defeat when a section of Liverpool supporters charge the fans on the terrace, forcing fans to flee back against a wall that collapsed, horrifically and fatally killing 39 football loving supporters.

In football terms the reality of the aftermath of Heysel was a long term ban from European Club football for Liverpool and all other English club sides.   In the Crowd goes further by exploring that aftermath we have seldom read or heard about other than during 2005 when the anniversary of the Heysel disater was remembered and recalled.   That of the impact on individuals, notably self-loathing Liverpool fans who still serve to maintain a guilt-ridden innocence, and the emotions of grief-stricken Italian supporters of whom we lost so many in Brussels, are explored.   

Football hooliganism, like football in general (outwith our so called bible titles noted above) is a subject that is never really adequately covered by serious writers.   Modern day titles such as Top Boys or Euro Trashed by Dougie Brimson refer and choose to explore self-glorifying modern day organised thuggery, fashions and hooliganism.   Whilst these have a rightful place amongst the games history, it is often left to dry-mouthed academics to pad out these books with sociological theory and justification behind the fashion when it would be best to leave the voices and vivid image portrayal to those that truly know best; the perpetrators themselves.   In the Crowd though explores much more measured themes amid the horror, thoughtlessness and inhumanity that was a football stadium disaster.   

Heysel in 1985 shocked a whole generation, and it is only in the post-hooligan era of the modern age that such emotions can be explored in Laurent Mauvignier’s characters.  Today, just as in 1985, people come from all over Europe to see the final Champions League match as a means of exploring fandom, loyalty or simply a love of the game.   It is doubtful that such as a tragedy will occur again which makes Mauvigniers powerful pages of the imagination so unique. "

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:10:36 pm »
Cheers for that. It does look like in parts he is trying to look at from all angles. Although no mention of any of the authorities involvement. I was a bit worried about this statement "notably self-loathing Liverpool fans who still serve to maintain a guilt-ridden innocence". As I said earlier we know we have to shoulder our part of the blame, but any film being made about this needs to tell of all the factors that built up to this. I will do some digging on this myself, as think we need to know how this film is going to tell it's story.
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline DougLFC94

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 4, 2011, 01:20:58 am »
any details about this yet to when it is going to be released?

Offline Kopite1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 5, 2011, 04:43:12 pm »
I hadn't seen this thread when i opened this post but it links into the information about the film
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=276023.0

I can't see this anywhere, be interesting as to how this guy intends to actually contact Liverpool fans as in via the club, via supporters groups, via SOS, whichever route I hope he takes on everything that happened that day and portrays events accurately for what will be a very sensitive subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13474082

The French director making a film based on the Heysel tragedy has said he will visit Liverpool to meet with supporters.

On 29 May, 1985, 39 football fans died during violent clashes between Liverpool and Juventus fans at the European Cup final in Brussels.

Hundreds of other fans were injured in the incident.

Jean-Stephane Sauvaire's film will be based on Laurent Mauvigniers novel In The Crowd.

Those who died were 32 Italians, four Belgians, two French and a man from Northern Ireland.

As a result of the disaster at Heysel Stadium, Uefa banned English clubs from taking part in European football for five years, with Liverpool serving an extra year.

More than 60,000 Liverpool and Juventus fans were at the stadium, which was described as rundown, when violence erupted about an hour before kick-off.

A retaining wall separating the opposing fans collapsed as the Italian club's supporters tried to escape from Liverpool followers.

Backup films announced at Cannes Film Festival in May 2011 that a film was going to be made. French director Mr Sauvaire was announced as the director.

Speaking from New York, Mr Sauvaire said it would be "very important for me to come to Liverpool, and meet with everyone who wants to speak about the tragedy".

He said: "The novel by Laurent Mauvignier is amazing because it's all about the characters, before, during and after Heysel. It's a human way to tell this tragedy.

"Most of the film will be authentic and visceral. It has to be intense but honest. I want to respect anybody who will be part of the film. I'm not doing this film to judge, or giving lessons to everybody.

"I'm here to depict, retranscribe, film the events as they were, for the audience to be plunged into the stadium, into the chaos.

"I will have to see all the documents, films etc and meet a lot of people who were involved at this time. For example, Paul Greengrass did an amazing film with Bloody Sunday, I'd love with the Heysel tragedy to do a film in this vein."

'I hurt like hell'

Aidan Rimmer, 41, originally from Preston who now lives in Dunkerque, was 15 and in the crowd when the tragedy happened.

He said he welcomed Mr Sauvaire's willingness to meet with people who were there and said he would be happy to meet with him.

Mr Rimmer said: "At the game the atmosphere was great, the weather was really hot and the grass by the side of the main road leading up to the stadium was used for football matches between our supporters and Juventus supporters.

"Everyone was just having a good time and being really friendly, swapping scarves, sharing drinks and having a laugh together.

Thirty-nine fans died when trouble flared before the match Mr Rimmer said he still remembered the atmosphere inside the stadium.

He said: "The Belgian police were searching bags, cladding fell from one of the walls and rocks and bottles were being thrown over the wall. I remember the police dogs and the baton charges by police.

"We were only kids but we climbed over the fence from pen XYZ and were helped by others. The actions of people running towards others isn't excusable. I still think about what happened in 1985 - I hurt like hell."

Mr Sauvaire's previous film Johnny Mad Dog was about child soldiers in Africa. He lived there for a year preparing the film.

Mr Rimmer added: "I liked what he said about the child soldiers and trying to help them out, maybe he'll act responsibly when making the Heysel film too."

Mr Mauvignier's novel, In The Crowd has been described by BBC sports journalist John Sinnott as a "remarkable portray of Liverpool given Mauvignier is French".

It follows Geoff, a Liverpool fan and his two brothers to the game and their interactions with the other fans.

Eddie Singleton, was also at Heysel that day, said he would not want to see the film because he did not want to "re-live" the memories.

He said after the tragedy he did not attend a Liverpool match for five years.

Mr Singleton he said that after attending a Spurs game where the Liverpool team did not acknowledge the fans, him and a friend were "jumped on".

He added: "I thought then, why am I risking this for them?

"That instance, along with Heysel, made me re-evaluate my priorities. I wasn't a hooligan. I was a decent fella, loyal football fan who loved the club, but I was sick of being treated like an animal.

"Spending my hard-earned cash and being treated like something scraped off the bottom of a shoe.

"For five years I didn't miss going to the game."

Mr Sauvaire said he was currently editing the script. The film will shoot in spring 2012 with a release predicted for 2013.

Liverpool FC said it was not prepared to comment while the film was in production.

« Last Edit: June 5, 2011, 04:44:43 pm by Kopite1971 »
Proud to be "An Internet Terrorist"

SOS# 1159

Offline anfieldtours

• Kemlynite
  • The Ultimate Anfield Tour, now with £50 off!
    • Anfield Tours
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 03:17:42 pm »
It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. It's one of those subject matters that will take a really brilliant director and producer to pull it off or it will end up being insulting and not capturing the emotion involved. I was born after Heysel but I'm all too aware of the scenes that happened there, it's good younger fans know about things like this and they aren't just forgotten with time. Lessons to be learned and all that...

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 10:31:56 pm »
The most ignominious day in out history, no good can come of it.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 11:43:56 pm »
The most ignominious day in out history, no good can come of it.

For once, I agree.

Offline brownee61

• Main Stander
  • 'Drinks for the men, we ride at dawn'
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 03:41:39 pm »
I'm sure I've read this book, don't they sell it in the HMV in town?  It's got a black and white cover?  The book I read was a literal translation a few years ago from the original French release, after is was reviewed in one of the Sunday broadsheets.  Due to the translation it was a bit awkward to read as they must use terms in a different 'tense' to us (apologies I don't know French).

The most detailed reporting I have ever seen on Heysel in a single program was the BBC documentary that was released back in 2005 to coincide with the 20 years since the disaster.  It was very hard to watch as a red, but well put toegether and contained some horrific footage, I'm sure someone with a better memort and or internet skills than me will be able to link to it.

This was no doubt a tragic day for 39 families and is a day that should cast a shadow over our club, but we should not hide from it and as with all things alot more happened that day than meets the eye, so education is the key.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: September 7, 2011, 07:20:27 pm »
^ Yeah it has a black and white cover. I just bought and read it after hearing about it in this thread. I wouldn't recommend it simply because it doesn't tell you anything about Heysel. It's almost like a psychological study of a few random people who happened to be there. Eventually focussing on an Italian girl's grief at losing her new husband in the stadium. I also found it hard to read, the way it was written, as a constant stream-of-consciousness internal narrative sort of thing. It was very intense in parts, the bit where the girl is in the crush and trying to get out had my heart in my mouth.

The book looks very unfavourably on the Liverpool fans as well. It portrays us, as I suppose is to be expected from a European standpoint, as typical baying English hooligans, chanting "England, England" and "Here We Go, Here We go" which is not something I associate with LFC fans. There is no redeeming or mitigating stuff, no mention of the events of Rome 84, no real mention of the Italian hooligans. As I read it the book put all the blame for the instigation and escalation of violence onto the Liverpool fans.

The Liverpool lad the book follows is a decent lad who is dragged into the mayhem by his thug brother who is basically a hooligan. It gives some interesting looks as to how a non-violent person can get pulled into a mob mentality in a crowd, on the ale, and you can see how you could end up doing things or acting in a way that you normally wouldn't.

The topic of Heysel, ugly as it is, has always fascinated me. It's one of my earliest vivid memories, watching it with my family when I was 6. I just couldn't believe the scale of the disorder. I always clung on to those (false) ideas that it was NF instigators, that it couldn't really have been Liverpool fans. That 2005 documentary - it was called "Requiem for a Cup Final" by the way - really brought what happened into perspective. As I see it now, we certainly have guilt, there was bad violent behaviour from some of our lot. No mitigating circumstances can get you away from the fact that Liverpool fans charged section Z and that charge caused the deaths. But the charge was something that happened in 100s of football stadiums around Europe at that time. It in itself was not that shocking or remarkable, it just happened to have a tragic result.

Very difficult subject. As I say this book gives no real answers or insight. I would give the film a watch, but have more interest in documentary-style stuff when it comes to something as serious and emotive as this.

Offline Mano-JFT96

• Kemlynite
  • Don't buy the s*n!
« Reply #12 on: September 8, 2011, 03:25:29 am »
Think this will be good,there is a lot of distorted views as many people have their facts mixed up about heysel and this will hopefully set them straight.

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #13 on: September 8, 2011, 12:31:21 pm »
Think this will be good,there is a lot of distorted views as many people have their facts mixed up about heysel ....

I would like to think that you were right, but I don't think that there is a chance in hell of this being any good for us.

If the movie was an in-depth investigation dealing with issues like the fighting being started by the Juve fans;  like the Juve fan marching towards the LFC section waving a revolver in the air moments before the charge;  like the total unsuitability of the stadium for such an important match (thank-you UEFA), and the feeble response of the local police in recognising the problem early enough, (there had been a violent, intimidating threat of violemce for many hours in Brussells that afternoon); like the so-called neutral section of the ground being adjacent to the Liverpool section and separated by a single strand of very thin rope, when those tickets had been on sale to the huge Italian population of Brussells,  then maybe the movie would have had a purpose. 

However, chances are that it will be a hysterical, jaundiced, one-eyed view of an event which will do us no favours at all and in my view  will be best avoided.

The chances of us coming across in a favourable light are slim to none.

You had to be there to fully understand that it wasn't nearly so one-sided as the media would have you believe.
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #14 on: September 8, 2011, 01:52:47 pm »
I would like to think that you were right, but I don't think that there is a chance in hell of this being any good for us.

If the movie was an in-depth investigation dealing with issues like the fighting being started by the Juve fans;  like the Juve fan marching towards the LFC section waving a revolver in the air moments before the charge;  like the total unsuitability of the stadium for such an important match (thank-you UEFA), and the feeble response of the local police in recognising the problem early enough, (there had been a violent, intimidating threat of violemce for many hours in Brussells that afternoon); like the so-called neutral section of the ground being adjacent to the Liverpool section and separated by a single strand of very thin rope, when those tickets had been on sale to the huge Italian population of Brussells,  then maybe the movie would have had a purpose. 

However, chances are that it will be a hysterical, jaundiced, one-eyed view of an event which will do us no favours at all and in my view  will be best avoided.

The chances of us coming across in a favourable light are slim to none.

You had to be there to fully understand that it wasn't nearly so one-sided as the media would have you believe.
unfortunately I agree with this.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/