Author Topic: Good Luck David Ngog  (Read 44770 times)

Offline El Diablos

• The Chronologically Trousered Philanthropist
  • Legacy Fan
  • All posts copyright of Alan Smithee
Re: Good Luck David Ngog
« Reply #400 on: July 1, 2011, 09:13:38 pm »
As an optimist, I'm looking at this as a blessing in disguise. Ngog was apparently valued at 7 million ( or maybe 4 million depending on what price you believed Henderson was) by Sunderland. This gives us real leverage when negotiating with other clubs who come calling for Ngog. I'm pretty sure that Ngog's gonna be gone this summer. A player of his age cannot afford to be sitting on the bench happy to collect his wages when he only has a year left on his contract. So, he's gonna have to lower his wage demands eventually. As the transfer deadline nears, clubs do strange things. I can imagine a newly promoted club or a mid-table side getting desperate for strikers who've played at this level and shown a reasonable level of competency. After all, the one thing that these teams struggle predominantly with is scoring goals. At that point, Comolli can point to Sunderland's valuation of Ngog as a barometer of his market value and get the deal done at roundabout that price. So, its still a win-win scenario for us.

I'm not sure that i follow your logic on this one.
How does an ill defined price on a deal that was never concluded give us leverage in other, totally separate negotiations?
You suggest there's pressure on him to lower his wage demands because he's in the final year of his contract, yet the 'value' of leaving on a free without the incremental transfer fee is one of the ways players negotiate improved salaries.
I admire your optimism though :).

It may well prove difficult for the club to offload unwanted players at the level of fee we'd hope for. That in turn may affect how well we're able to complete our own acquisition strategy. But that's stating the bleedin' obvious. We have 2 months yet to see what transpires.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #401 on: July 4, 2011, 09:58:34 am »
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: July 4, 2011, 10:20:33 am »
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #403 on: July 4, 2011, 10:30:25 pm »
L'Equipe are suggesting Villa are in the running now

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2011/20110704_101630_n-gog-vers-aston-villa.html
Is this simply a rerun of the henderson/ Ngog  pex scenario with Downing as bait this time? After Villa got their fingers burned with Ireland in the City/Mlner deal, and with Houllier out of the way, I can't see that happening.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Rafas3leggedtable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: July 16, 2011, 10:07:07 pm »
this guy was way too good for sunderland - any reason Carroll is built up as the future when this guy is laughed at? Am i missing something here? - last 2 seasons Torres has been in his shadow as a player.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:08:59 pm by Rafas3leggedtable »
The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Offline topcorner2345

• Main Stander
  • You Get Me !
« Reply #405 on: July 16, 2011, 10:10:52 pm »
dont rate him that higly to be honest how ever i do think he would score goals for a mid table prem team for sure

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #406 on: July 16, 2011, 10:32:26 pm »
We need to give him a new contract.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #407 on: July 16, 2011, 10:39:33 pm »
this guy was way too good for sunderland - any reason Carroll is built up as the future when this guy is laughed at? Am i missing something here? - last 2 seasons Torres has been in his shadow as a player.

You're exaggerating a bit there, mate. Torres has underperformed because of injury, loss of form, unhappiness, whatever. He still contributed more than N'Gog in Rafa's final season. In terms of ability, he's still miles ahead of N'Gog.

What I do agree on is that quite a lot of people on here underrate N'Gog while going on about the likes of Sturridge (I wouldn't count Carroll, because he hasn't had many chances to show what he can do for us). I am pretty sure that N'Gog would do well like Sturridge, if he went to a club like Bolton. And Sturridge would probably have done the same for Chelsea had he been their only striking option for a while with the team lacking confidence: decent/good contributions in some games, while having many games where things aren't coming off...

Offline Tonyh

• Tony get the shots in (after 7pm)
  • Legacy Fan
  • .............is the final piece of the jigsaw!
« Reply #408 on: July 16, 2011, 10:49:12 pm »
Thought je looked much bigger and better today, but he has flattered to deceive before in pre-season. He is at least worth keeping an eye on as fourth striker. Morgan scored 2 more today so how far is he behind him?
Let's also never forget the 39!

Offline aedge659

• Legacy Fan
  • Through wind and rain..
« Reply #409 on: July 16, 2011, 10:50:48 pm »
Perfect 4th choice behind Suarez, Carroll and Kuyt. All top teams have strength in depth, we can have four surely?!

Offline Fuson

• Main Stander
  • "To last you need to be real."
« Reply #410 on: July 16, 2011, 11:08:49 pm »
I think the problem wasn't with Ngog but more so with the style of play the past 2/3 seasons.

Most definitely he underperformed (Party due to most of us looking back at was Torres did), but it's not like we were playing to his strengths. 

And yeah yeah pre-season doesn't mean shite, but how many times can you remember someone putting him through on goal (Like today) vs. How many times he has had to collect the ball out wide with no help, or the ball being launched 10 feet above his head?

Obviously if the player doesn't fit the bill for the style we were playing then we should move him on, but I think he has more to offer.

We have been in a slump the past 2/3 seasons(Bar the arrival of KK) and the style of play hasn't helped him progress at all.

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #411 on: July 16, 2011, 11:47:28 pm »
I don't mind if someone is willing to pay 6-8mil for him but where's our backup striker?

At the moment, we only have Carroll, Kuyt and Ngog who can lead the line, which is actually a downgrade from last yr when we had that silly boy instead of Carroll...

Suarez and Pacheo(if given his chance) and maybe Gerrard are better as the 2nd striker.

So if Ngog gets sold, we really need a player who can hold the ball upfront.