Author Topic: Things to do in London  (Read 5199 times)

Offline Velky Al

• Legacy Fan
    • Fuggled
Re: Things to do in London
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 10:15:53 pm »
Never been down before but going this weekend with the mrs just wondering if theres any must do things or places to visit?

Also hotel wise the one we are going for so far is in Canary Wharf is that anywhere near the centre?

Any advice appreciated  :wave

I hear rioting is a popular pastime down there, make sure you have your fancy trainers and blackberry to convince the drippy wet liberal media that you are poor.

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 10:24:44 pm »
Went to Camden last November (on the coldest day of the year of all days) and it done my nut in. And went in to a pub called "The Worlds End" (very apt I thought) and paid 8 quid for a double vodka red bull. :o
The German winter wonderland in Hyde Park was a good laugh though. :)
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 10:26:30 pm »
Hilarious isn't it! I took my two year old niece there and even she thought it was bizarrely kitch :)

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 10:26:42 pm »
Anyone been to the British Museum?

Wana go to London town soo to see that and the Globe theatre.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 10:35:43 pm »
I went to the Science Museum at the weekend - loads of cool interactive stuff for the wee lad, plus a few old planes, trains and automobiles and a good feature on Space. Kept him entertained, very good value given it was free! Want to head to the Natural History Museum and Aquarium too in the near future.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2011, 10:36:49 pm »
loads of cool interactive stuff for the wee lad
Glad you enjoyed it mate :)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2011, 10:38:46 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it mate :)

Very good! Most of it was beyond me to be honest, always was a bit crap at Science. The funniest bit was when he (aged 2 and a bit) pointed at a model of DNA structure and asked me what it was. "Ask your mother"...

Offline Red-O

• Main Stander
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2011, 01:42:53 pm »
British Museum, Natural History Museum, Imperial War Museum - all free, top quality and would keep you occupied for days.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2011, 02:11:14 pm »
Went to Camden last November (on the coldest day of the year of all days) and it done my nut in. And went in to a pub called "The Worlds End" (very apt I thought) and paid 8 quid for a double vodka red bull. :o
that pub is absolute shite...
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2011, 02:27:32 pm »

Oh dear God. Why did you do that to yourself?

that pub is absolute shite...

Is a fucking understatement.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2011, 02:29:59 pm »
Camden is a shithole living off former glories, you couldn't pay me to go there now
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2011, 02:31:57 pm »

went to see it last month, I quite enjoyed the Egyptian section and the small roads leading to the museum have a lot of nice shops (specially one that sell amazing cupcakes)
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline SamiSamiHyypia

• Kopite
  • Justice For The 96
    • The Homes Of Football
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2011, 03:17:40 pm »

The actual building is impressive and they have some really good Egyptian, Greek, Chinese, etc etc. exhibits and some famous objects like the Rosetta Stone and the Elgin Marbles. I studied Ancient History so it's hard to say if it would be interesting to most people or if I just liked it because of that.

I went last week and I walked from the British Museum to Trafalgar Sq and the National Portrait Gallery (Well worth a visit) which has lots of famous pictures like Van Gogh's Sunflowers, lots of Turners, Monets, Cezannes etc., then down Whitehall to Downing St and Parliament.

Was going to go in Westminster Abbey but be warned it's £16! Went in the Catholic cathedral down the road anyway and that was great and free. Then on to Harrods to buy some coffee and then to the Natural History museum. That's good and has a lot of dinosaurs and a full sized blue whale model.

Was a good day but by the time I'd walked back to St Pancras it was 10 miles+ so would recommend using buses/tube if you're not as tight as me.

Thinking of going in tomorrow and visiting the Army Museum, Greenwich and the IWM (Going to do all that on the tube though!)
I can confirm that on this subject at least, there is an almost cultish obsession, which I find quite unnerving.
Cult Of Lucas - Proud Member

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2011, 12:52:53 pm »
Ended up staying at Hotel Rafayel cant fault it at all great rooms, great service and even a free shuttle service to the nearest tube station and back.

Stayed there in August the week following the riots. Never used the concierge to Clapham Junction though, it's only 15 mins walk and I'd prefer to walk if possible. Bus stop to Clapham or Victoria just outside too. We had a Thames room (No 124) but unfortunately it was the worst Thames Room they had, the view not that great which was a bit disappointing. The breakfast was good, but they ran out of hash browns on the Monday and served chips at breakfast.  :D Not a patch on Hilton's breakfasts though, they are the best I've had and will take some beating.

Had a nice walk to Canary Wharf one day, which is approx 20 miles, then caught the tube back after a steak at Gauchos but that's all we tend to do, walk around seeing places we haven't seen before and taking in the sights.

Have stayed in various places in Canary Wharf, which is vibrant during the week but tails off at the weekend due to the majority of the workers being absent. You can walk into "London", takes about 45 mins and can walk along the Thames most of the way. Much preferable than jumping on the tube as long as the weather is fitting, well at least once anyway as it can eat into your time on busy sightseeing days.

Went into the British museum as that's the only one we hadn't visited in the years we've been down there, but walked out after 10 mins, it was absolutely chocker and I haven't the patience to deal with that amount of people and screaming kids. Will try again at a less popular time but the thing is, you just can't rush around these places.

Loads of museums though, big and small, a great little one in the Docklands about the rise and development of the Docklands for instance.

Plenty of the Royal places to see.

You can go to Hampton Court, Kew on a 1-6 Zone Travelcard and get the boat back, takes a few hrs coming back but again, as long as the weather is fine, it's a great trip and you'll see quite a bit you won't/don't see otherwise.

Windsor Castle is about an hr away on the train and although you'll struggle to spend all day in the Castle, a walk around Windsor and Eton will eat into your time.

There's just so much to do, in 15 years of visiting at least once a year, we always find something different and always fail to do things we planned as there's just not enough time.

I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2011, 01:07:32 pm »
Go to Gordons Wine Vaults on Charing Cross. Oldest wine vault in England. Its like getting pissed in Down And Out in Paris and London. It's always candle lit so you never know the time. Do it.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2011, 01:29:45 pm »
Going to Camden tomorrow to see some mates in a gig. I used to work at the TV studios there years ago and The World's End was a fucking shithole then!!

Going to the Science Museum too, much to Mrs 24/7's horror but hey tough.

Also going to the Planetarium, which I believe is in Greenwhich - looking forward to that.

Offline Chinbits

• Has a Purpoise in life
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Factor 3rd Place WINNER
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2011, 01:32:25 pm »
Going to Camden tomorrow to see some mates in a gig. I used to work at the TV studios there years ago and The World's End was a fucking shithole then!!

Going to the Science Museum too, much to Mrs 24/7's horror but hey tough.

Also going to the Planetarium, which I believe is in Greenwhich - looking forward to that.

I live in Greenwich, the planetarium is average but it's a great walk through the park and the observatory is worth a look.
Hold a powerful magnet against your stomach and then run it up your body until it's under your chin.

While wearing your mum's skin as a hat.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2011, 03:06:18 pm »
I went through Camden Market one Sunday morning after a great stroll down the Regents Canal. How the frig I never killed anyone in there is a miracle. Full of bumbling, stuttering ignorant bastards and the sight of all the chinese/pizza/all kinds of fast food being sold and ate at that time of the morning nearly made me heave up.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.