Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1066163 times)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #19440 on: May 27, 2024, 12:12:38 pm »
Got my new phone and everything's setup as UK except the keyboard only gives me the USA dollar sign rather than pound sterling!

Any ideas how I change it?

Go into settings and search using the magnifying glass, search for keyboard, click on it and check its set to qwerty uk, its probably set tu USA
Jurgen YNWA

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19441 on: May 27, 2024, 12:58:05 pm »
Go into settings and search using the magnifying glass, search for keyboard, click on it and check its set to qwerty uk, its probably set tu USA

Cheers Rob 👍

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19442 on: May 31, 2024, 06:37:05 pm »
Anybody got a Velux window/skylight? Ours has opened of its own accord and I can close it. Had someone do a bit of work on the roof a few weeks back so I think it could be linked to that. But I have a skylight window that I can’t close. Will have to get someone out tomorrow/soon as I can but that will no doubt come with a cal out charge.

And yes, I have tried just closing it! There’s a mechanism with a chain and that seems to have either come loose, or had some other malfunction.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19443 on: May 31, 2024, 06:40:53 pm »
Anybody got a Velux window/skylight? Ours has opened of its own accord and I can close it. Had someone do a bit of work on the roof a few weeks back so I think it could be linked to that. But I have a skylight window that I can’t close. Will have to get someone out tomorrow/soon as I can but that will no doubt come with a cal out charge.

And yes, I have tried just closing it! There’s a mechanism with a chain and that seems to have either come loose, or had some other malfunction.

A mate uses a broom to open and close hers, have you tried shoving it with one of them or a long pole?  (And no fucking jokes about a 7ft fella from Warsaw please)
Jurgen YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19444 on: May 31, 2024, 08:28:44 pm »
A mate uses a broom to open and close hers, have you tried shoving it with one of them or a long pole?  (And no fucking jokes about a 7ft fella from Warsaw please)

It’s in an awkward spot at the top of the stairs so a 7 foot Pole would be very handy! I did give it a shove but it didn’t budge. The chain seems pretty stuck. Bit the bullet and got someone coming out in the morning (for a hefty fee). But don’t have a lot of options.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19445 on: May 31, 2024, 10:26:24 pm »
Stick a brolly through it and hang weights off the handle.

That or send the kid up for the night.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19446 on: Today at 03:10:28 pm »
Has anyone had an electric smart meter fitted?

Any major advantages or disadvantages?

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19447 on: Today at 03:17:38 pm »

We have John though I couldn't say there are any major differences if you're pretty savvy with your energy usage.

Maybe it's helped me contest how much I should be paying with my supplier but unless you're really wasteful they're not suddenly going to halve your usage/costs.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19448 on: Today at 03:17:39 pm »

Advantages
You can see what appliances use the most electric and there is no need for meter readings or estimates. Thats all really

Disadvantages
Its harder to put electric on the fiddle
« Last Edit: Today at 03:19:13 pm by Kenny's Jacket »
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19449 on: Today at 03:18:33 pm »

Had one fitted. And it can’t connect to the Wi-Fi so hasn’t given a meter reading in the 6 months or so it got fitted! Meter world, I just still have to manually submit so not really seeing any benefits from it to be honest!

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19450 on: Today at 03:20:36 pm »
Had one fitted. And it can’t connect to the Wi-Fi so hasn’t given a meter reading in the 6 months or so it got fitted! Meter world, I just still have to manually submit so not really seeing any benefits from it to be honest!

They usually have a SIM card in them and don't connect to wifi - do you just mean they don't get a signal?

My display thing for my meter broke after a few weeks so I can't monitor live usag, never bothered to get it fixed. It's nice not having to do meter readings though.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19451 on: Today at 03:40:51 pm »

We're with Octopus and had both an electric and a gas smart meter fitted. I like it as we have the display that shows usage, I can scream at the kids about how expensive a shower is and we know all through the day what our energy consumption is. Its been helpful in that I saw the difference between the air fryer and the oven and now stuff that would previously have been cooked in the oven now gets thrown in the air fryer instead. It also proved that the kids being on playstations all day wasn't actually costing a fortune, which I thought it had been.

Not found any disadvatages at all.
Jurgen YNWA

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19452 on: Today at 04:36:06 pm »
Thank you all for the replies folks, very interesting.
I was wondering if there'd be a major inconvenience but seems not.
Cheers again.