Author Topic: Sudden influx of foreign players after a take over?  (Read 2532 times)

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
Sudden influx of foreign players after a take over?
« on: August 17, 2020, 01:00:07 am »
I was having a discussion with someone the other day and we somehow ended up talking about teams that have been taken over by "dodgy" foreign owners and then that team has been filled with players of the same nationality?

Has it actually happened or was i dreaming it? i first thought Watford? did they get taken over by italians and then all of a sudden had a team full of italians or was it a club lower down the leagues???

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sudden influx of foreign players after a take over?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 01:04:59 am »
I was having a discussion with someone the other day and we somehow ended up talking about teams that have been taken over by "dodgy" foreign owners and then that team has been filled with players of the same nationality?

Has it actually happened or was i dreaming it? i first thought Watford? did they get taken over by italians and then all of a sudden had a team full of italians or was it a club lower down the leagues???

Wolves with Portugese players perhaps? Although that's not because of their (Chinese) owners directly, but because of the owners relationship with super agent Jorge Mendes.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 01:08:06 am »
Was it actually happened or was i dreaming it? i first thought Watford? did they get taken over by italians and then all of a sudden had a team full of italians or was it a club lower down the leagues???

Watford are owned by a family that own both Granada and Udinese so there is a lot of subtle player-swapping between those three teams.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 01:13:58 am »
Yeah the Watford one is the only one I can think of but that was mostly due to cheap transfer fees and loan deals from other clubs they owned in Italy more than them being Italian.

Can’t think of many others.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 02:21:13 am »
Didn't Hearts have an influx of Lithuanian players during Romanov's ownership

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 03:19:57 am »
Dont' think Watford is a great example of this. Udinese has a good scouting system in South America and Africa from where they sign a lot of players. Watford and Granada were just used as clubs to get the fringe players from Udinese some game time.

They obviously got an influx of Italians but in general they got players from all over the world that were loaned or sold to them by Udinese or Granada.

Hearts is a good shout.   

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 08:46:31 am »
Stoke City around the late 90s/ early 2000s were  owned by an Icelandic group. Following the takeover they installed Gudjon Thordason as the manager and signed loads of Icelandic players. They were in the modern equivalent of league one at the time.

Eidur Gudjohnsen was the biggest name, but off the top of my head they had Rikardur Dadason, Bjarni Gudjohnsen, Hannes Sigurdson, Gudmundsen, Gislason, Gunnarsson and Danielsson. That’s just to name a few.

Really strange experiment that and at a time when Iceland were a true minnow and not nearly as highly ranked as they are now. They did get Stoke up into the Championship though, although as time went on and following the exit of Thordarson, the Icelandic players dwindled. They had at least 15 in the squad at one point though.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 08:59:15 am »
Didn't Hearts have an influx of Lithuanian players during Romanov's ownership
Romanov also owned Kaunas (Lithuanian club). Probably saw a chance to get some of his players a chance at a higher level and maybe unearth a couple of decent players for cheap at Hearts.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 09:08:59 am »
When Houlier was in charge, we targeted a lot of French players; under Rafa, we targeted a lot of Spanish players.

I dont think there's any particularly dodgy in it; just that a club being taken over is a big cultural shift, so maybe those in charge just go with what they know.

Te haphazard nature of our signings under Brendan and the TC showed  what can happen when management isn't unified and pulls in different directions.

That said, Klopp seems to love signing players from Africa. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 09:31:26 am »
I seem to remember Ivanovo at Chelsea being heavily touted as a signing which was as much about his nationality as it was his ability and that Abramovic was very keen to get a Russian player on board - obviously he turned out to be an excellent player anyway.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 09:47:22 am »
I seem to remember Ivanovo at Chelsea being heavily touted as a signing which was as much about his nationality as it was his ability and that Abramovic was very keen to get a Russian player on board - obviously he turned out to be an excellent player anyway.
Branislav Ivanovic? He is Serbian. He did join from a Russian club though. Maybe you’re thinking of Yuri Zhirkov, a bang average Russian full back who was apparently a hand-picked Abramovic signing but then didn’t feature much because the Premier League was seemingly beyond his capabilities. Alexey Smertin was another they picked up at Abramovic’s behest but I can’t remember how that one turned out. Can’t have been that good.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 09:50:29 am »
Wolves with Portugese players perhaps? Although that's not because of their (Chinese) owners directly, but because of the owners relationship with super agent Jorge Mendes.
That came to my mind first too. Was it because of the agent or the manager preferred Portugese players?

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 10:01:28 am »

Yea always thought he was a bit underrated outside probably Chelsea fans. Good player, him.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 10:13:45 am »
Stoke City around the late 90s/ early 2000s were  owned by an Icelandic group. Following the takeover they installed Gudjon Thordason as the manager and signed loads of Icelandic players. They were in the modern equivalent of league one at the time.

Eidur Gudjohnsen was the biggest name, but off the top of my head they had Rikardur Dadason, Bjarni Gudjohnsen, Hannes Sigurdson, Gudmundsen, Gislason, Gunnarsson and Danielsson. That’s just to name a few.

Really strange experiment that and at a time when Iceland were a true minnow and not nearly as highly ranked as they are now. They did get Stoke up into the Championship though, although as time went on and following the exit of Thordarson, the Icelandic players dwindled. They had at least 15 in the squad at one point though.

You can remember Stoke players at the turn of the century off the top of your head ? Rain Man.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 10:38:03 am »
You can remember Stoke players at the turn of the century off the top of your head ? Rainy Tuesday night in Stoke Man.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2020, 11:07:52 am »
You can remember Stoke players at the turn of the century off the top of your head ? Rain Man.
;D I'd love to say that this is representative of my knowledge across all football, but that coincides with the time when I was playing in Stoke's academy (aged 7 through til around 14) so I had a more intimate knowledge of the club back then. You ask me to name a similar occurrence at pretty much any club I won't be able to, outside the obvious.

Was the only lad at the training not in a Man Utd or Stoke kit. Always rocked the black reebok away with Kewell on the back or the red home with Litmanen. Liked a flawed creative player, me.  ;D

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2020, 11:09:09 am »
Branislav Ivanovic? He is Serbian. He did join from a Russian club though. Maybe you’re thinking of Yuri Zhirkov, a bang average Russian full back who was apparently a hand-picked Abramovic signing but then didn’t feature much because the Premier League was seemingly beyond his capabilities. Alexey Smertin was another they picked up at Abramovic’s behest but I can’t remember how that one turned out. Can’t have been that good.

Zhirkov had been excellent at the Euros. Smertin was absolutely average

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2020, 11:27:22 am »
Yeah maybe I was a touch harsh on Zhirkov because he did have a very good career and performed well for Russia. But he made less than 30 appearances for Chelsea over a three year spell and never played outside of Russia before or after. Average may have been hard, but he was evidently not good enough to take minutes from the excellent defenders Chelsea had at that time.

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2020, 12:29:02 pm »
Leipzig and austrian players

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2020, 12:48:57 pm »
Ha. This is not what I thought this thread would be like when I first saw the topic
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2020, 03:32:57 pm »
Didn't City sign a few Thai players under Thaksin Shinawatra? In their despot-lite days

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2020, 03:39:45 pm »
Houllier and Benitez were just as guilty as anyone for doing this as well.

Dosen't mean any thing dodgy was at hand, just shows the respective managers were buying from the marketplace they understood the most.

French and Spanish players respectively.

Edit: I just saw Red Berry, beat me to it. ^^^
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 03:41:44 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 03:45:30 pm »
But Rafa and Houllier didn't own the club. We haven't signed any US players

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2020, 03:47:14 pm »
But Rafa and Houllier didn't own the club. We haven't signed any US players
Oh. Put your logic away. ::) ;D

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 03:48:42 pm »
We haven't signed any US players

If we were not for that idiot Henderson, Dempsey would've played for us.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2020, 03:52:56 pm »
They mentioned during the Europa League commentary last night that Shakhtar have got 13 Brazilians in their squad, which seems a high number for a Ukrainian side!

Yea always thought he was a bit underrated outside probably Chelsea fans. Good player, him.

A safe pair of hands, for sure.

Was going to post the same - that Russian side had an excellent 2008 campaign, and some really talented players.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2020, 04:04:41 pm »
They mentioned during the Europa League commentary last night that Shakhtar have got 13 Brazilians in their squad, which seems a high number for a Ukrainian side!
It very much is, but this is a deliberate tactic to earn money rather than some ploy by an owner who wants similarly-registered footballers purely due to nationalistic links.

Shakhtar plumb a lot of money into their Brazilian scouting and really, given their track record, who's to blame them? They've made unbelievable amounts by selling on their Brazilians. Willian, Douglas Costa, Fred, Alex Teixeira etc just to name a few.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2020, 09:52:08 pm »
Players following a manager seems to be a stronger trend. Wenger at arsenal?

Thanks for the info sangria. I feel slightly less memory impaired now.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2020, 07:28:03 am »

As has been mentioned with Ged and Rafa, its probably more to do with the staff, either manager/coach or scouts, going with what they know best than anything else. Klopp has also dipped into German football with Matip, Karius and Keita.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2020, 01:40:53 am »
Ha. This is not what I thought this thread would be like when I first saw the topic
He he, yes, same here. I charged in ready to be vituperative and a proper old school SJW. But it's all quite harmless and interesting :)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2020, 01:43:22 am »

A safe pair of hands, for sure.

Was going to post the same - that Russian side had an excellent 2008 campaign, and some really talented players.
Quite a few of Shakhtars Brazilian born players have ended up declaring for the Ukrainian national team.