Author Topic: How do you MEASURE an "attacking" team?  (Read 7420 times)

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
Re: How do you MEASURE an "attacking" team?
« Reply #80 on: March 4, 2010, 12:04:27 am »

The lack of a solid defence has meant that it's almost impossible for us to open up. When committing players forward, we're likely to get counter attacked with ease- because we can't keep the ball effectively in attacking areas. And the defenders can't handle players running at them directly- and we've suffered for it.

To sort our football out and actually develop a style we can call our own, we need to sort those areas out most of all. Get a stronger, more solid CB in to play alongside Agger, Skrtel OR Carra, keep Mascherano playing well, and get players in the attack who know how to pass and move.

Do that and you've got a good foundation for players like Gerrard, Torres, Yossi, Johnson etc to come up with some magic and win us a game.

Totally agree. I might add that it also helps immensely when we do get into forward positions our players don't turn the ball over cheaply, something I think Kuyt, Ngog and to a lesser extent Babel and Gerrard have been guilty of.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
Re: How do you MEASURE an "attacking" team?
« Reply #81 on: March 4, 2010, 03:33:38 am »
I have to agree with the poster who implied that the defense is holding back our style of play an astute observation IMO.
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.