Author Topic: Ozark (Netflix Series)  (Read 37362 times)

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
Re: Ozark (Netflix Series)
« Reply #360 on: May 25, 2022, 12:17:57 am »
Surprised the amount of stick this is getting even if I'd agree the last half an hour or so wasn't amazing. However, the last half-season as a whole was fantastic I thought. A great show.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #361 on: May 25, 2022, 09:02:11 am »
I enjoyed it. Overall was it as good as Breaking Bad? No, but that doesn't mean it wasn't great and its the closest we've had to a Breaking Bad-type show. Some criticisms I have seen:

Jumping the shark - to be honest I think every show does this. Breaking Bad did it to an extent with Walt's A-Team robot machine-gun attack. Ozark did it with:
Spoiler
Marty becoming cartel boss, briefly
[close]
But it's not egregious and didn't ruin the show for me and if anything its a bit of fan-service. Game of Thrones jumped the shark, landed in a plane and flew off into fucking outer-space for example.

On the other hand (Ruth):
Spoiler
Ruth's death was inevitible and had she lived happily ever after despite the cartel boss knowing she killed her son, THAT would have been GoT-level bullshit. She was the best character on the show but she made her decisions and as soon as she shot Javi she was doomed. The flashback scene at her trailer about 20 mins before the end should have warned anyone what was coming.
[close]

Regarding the ending:
Spoiler
It felt slightly rushed but it worked for me. It showed that money/power do trump good-will (from the detective) and that Jonah was finally corrupted by Wendy/Marty. I'm just surprised that it has actually left room for a spin-off or follow-up in years to come for sure. Netflix hedging their bets I guess.
[close]

It's so hard to get the ending of a long show correct. Some Soprano's fans still don't like it's ending (I do), Breaking Bad's was decent, GoT & Dexter horrific. The two best I can think of are Mad Men and Six Feet Under. To me this ending is on a similar level to Soprano's or Breaking Bad - not earth-shaterring but satisfactory.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #362 on: May 25, 2022, 10:23:53 pm »
https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/ozark-season-4-part-2-ending-explained/

Oh well, that's bollocks. I'd been allowing myself to believe that Jonah had done something to excuse his annoying presence throughout.

"showrunner Chris Munday told Vanity Fair that there needed "repercussions" to each of the characters' actions and to avoid a "fairytale ending".

Meh, I don't need my entertainment to reinforce to me that money and power trump all, I have the daily news for that.

My entertainment is an escape and as such I want the fairy tale ending so fuck you Chris.

What were the repercussions for the Byrds then? Whatever they were, they were a lot less pronounced in comparison to Ruth, Ben or Mel.

Fuckers.

All hail Ruth!

(although to be fair that's a lovely interpretation by the hugely talented Julia Garner).
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #363 on: May 26, 2022, 08:29:26 am »
Oh well, that's bollocks. I'd been allowing myself to believe that Jonah had done something to excuse his annoying presence throughout.

"showrunner Chris Munday told Vanity Fair that there needed "repercussions" to each of the characters' actions and to avoid a "fairytale ending".

Meh, I don't need my entertainment to reinforce to me that money and power trump all, I have the daily news for that.

My entertainment is an escape and as such I want the fairy tale ending so fuck you Chris.

What were the repercussions for the Byrds then? Whatever they were, they were a lot less pronounced in comparison to Ruth, Ben or Mel.

Fuckers.

All hail Ruth!

(although to be fair that's a lovely interpretation by the hugely talented Julia Garner).
Spoiler
;D Never thought she’d make it. Easily the best character in this though. Her background basically doomed her from the off. 
[close]

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #364 on: June 8, 2022, 01:59:22 pm »
Finished this last night - think it's been brilliant overall; high drama & tension throughout and the entire cast put in a serious shift for their roles.

Doubt there's ever been a series of which the ending has pleased everyone - though I can see a few people having minor gripes, I think they tied things up pretty neatly.

As far as I can tell, it's as good as anything out there for a <59 episode series and so it'd recommend it without hesitation to anyone looking for a new drama to watch (or to push on having watched some of it already).

My favourite scene (S03E01):

Spoiler
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iGevNzANoKg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iGevNzANoKg</a>
[close]

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: June 8, 2022, 02:26:36 pm »
Enjoyed the series on the whole. I had expected very little of it was expecting a Breaking Bad rip-off but it found it's own identity revealing the red-neck underbelly of modern America with a huge assist from Julia Garner's performance and the Snells.

Spoiler
I thought the ending was a bit of a damp squib as if we were supposed to be horrified that Jonah could kill someone. Given he was already laundering drug cartel money which is built on death and he had been surrounded by death throughout, it wasn't much of a leap. In any event I doubt many viewers were particularly invested in his character anyway. I could say the same for the PI guy, Mel, who was like a modern day Columbo without the quirky charisma.
[close]

Not a big deal though as others have said, very few shows actually land the ending spot on. The Wire wrap-up montage was probably the best ending I can remember, genuinely moving, albeit the final season itself wasn't of the same quality. 

« Last Edit: June 8, 2022, 03:11:23 pm by Schmarn »

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #366 on: June 8, 2022, 02:57:08 pm »
Enjoyed the series on the whole. I had expected very little of it was expecting a Breaking Bad rip-off but it found it's own identity revealing the red-neck underbelly of modern America with a huge assist from Julia Garner's performance and the Snells.

---

Not a big deal though as others have said, very few shows actually land the ending spot on. The Wire wrap-up montage was probably the best ending I can remember, genuinely moving, albeit the final season itself wasn't of the same quality. 

Not sure if we should still use spoilers or not? If episodes were on staggered release, I'd say not...but it could still be considered quite soon?

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #367 on: June 10, 2022, 10:46:06 am »

Spoiler
Despite Marty being not a terribly great person he's probably the only person aside from Ruth who 'deserved' a good pay off.

Their kids were interchangeable. They could have picked different actors and I don't think I'd have cared one jot.

Wendy can go fuck herself. She's an awful person, credit goes to Laura Linney on an epic Lady Macbeth performance
[close]

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #368 on: June 11, 2022, 01:45:22 am »
Spoiler
Finally got round to finishing it tonight. It’s taken so long because I was really disappointed with the whole final season. Just felt too far fetched with the FBI giving them free reign to get on with everything. Also couldn’t believe the Navarro cartel were the number one cartel, they just didn’t seem nasty enough.
[close]
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: June 13, 2022, 11:05:16 am »
Overall i enjoyed the whole series, i wont spoil anything but the very last scene i wasn't enamoured with but as someone mentioned above, maybe its a way of leaving it open for a spin off.

I think the last 2 episodes did feel a bit rushed, it felt like each scene was a bit of dialogue to set up the next scene and then we were straight into that next scene with a bit of dialogue and set up for the next scene and repeat for 60 mins.