Author Topic: Universal Credit and the crimes of it...  (Read 23791 times)

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Universal Credit and the crimes of it...
« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2020, 08:35:30 am »
The standard rate of benefit is absolutely shocking.  It's half as much as people who are deemed unfit for work get.  There needs to be more parity here.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:13:32 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2020, 10:37:18 am »
The standard rate of benefit is absolutely shocking.  It's half as much as people who are deemed unfit for work get.  There needs to be more parity here.

Think the whole idea that 'should be on less cos too young and/or you should find a job quickly' needs binning off. Cheap points scoring with the, sadly, majority who think anything more than bread and water is 'something for nothing'. Until it's them on the dole, heh.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2020, 11:32:01 am »
Think the whole idea that 'should be on less cos too young and/or you should find a job quickly' needs binning off. Cheap points scoring with the, sadly, majority who think anything more than bread and water is 'something for nothing'. Until it's them on the dole, heh.

I agree with you, especially the bolded part.

As someone who has had to claim different benefits at various points in their life, I know exactly what its like.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:33:43 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #163 on: August 7, 2020, 11:05:53 pm »
Coronavirus: London's commuter towns see sharp rise in benefit claims https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53697256

Seems like those who  couldn’t be arsed about those on universal credit are suddenly discovering how shite the system is, and how inadequate the payments are
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #164 on: August 8, 2020, 01:33:01 am »
It's definitely an interesting one.

I don't think there is much of a workable middle ground between the welfare state as we have it now and Universal Basic Income. The higher the unemployment figures are the more the pendulum swings towards the latter. 

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: December 8, 2020, 07:22:26 pm »
Didn't know where to put this.  It's PIP related.  Apologies for the Echo link.

at any time.

People in receipt of Personal Independent Payment (PIP) could be owed thousands in back payments due to a change in the law.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is conducting a review of PIP claimants to identify who may be owed up to £13,000 in benefits as a result of the law change.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people who need help because of a long-term illness or disability.

Not everyone who may be eligible for these extra payments will be contacted and the DWP haven't yet outlined how they will identify and contact claimants, reports advice website Benefits and Work.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here.

The independent benefits advice website said: "The search is the result of a Supreme Court decision in July which found that the DWP had not been awarding the correct points to some claimants with mental health conditions who need prompting or social support to engage in face-to-face [situations] with other people.

"Some claimants will have missed out on awards of the standard daily living component since April 2016 and will be entitled to around £13,000 in back payments of PIP."

In some cases, eligible claimants due the award may also be entitled to back payments of means-tested benefits premiums, reports the Daily Record.

The website added: "Others who claimed more recently, or who should have got the enhanced rate but only received the standard rate, will be entitled to smaller but still substantial sums."

Those who may have missed out include:

People who have regular meetings with a mental health professional, without which they would not be able to manage face-to-face encounters

People who need the input of particular friends or relatives with experience of supporting them in social situations, rather than just any well-meaning friend or relative, to help them manage face-to-face encounters.

The DWP search will date back to April 2016 for potentially affected people, including claimants who didn’t receive any award for PIP.

Benefits and Work is concerned that some people will be overlooked, including those who made a claim before April 2016 and those whose award was made by a tribunal.

The DWP does not “have the power to change tribunal decisions on the grounds of an error of law and you will need to contact the DWP yourself in these circumstances,” they advised.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/pip-claimants-could-owed-up-19175328?fbclid=IwAR2l2t-UVXpcThszJ1q4iS46HgFeGaIjZDy-15vlcbjqm47nzYT229EN9T8

I first applied back in 2014 and was immediately put on the enhanced rate, initially for a period of two years.  However they reassessed me in 2015 and dropped me to the standard rate, saying they had consulted with my psychiatrist. Of course they hadn't, but I was only losing £30 a week and I felt it would be too stressful to appeal it, as I still had the severe disability premium in ESA, and I felt the money would benefit somebody else more.

I'm not sure I could be arsed chasing this down and I don't know anybody who could do it for me currently.  I prefer to avoid this kind of crap these days.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2021, 03:23:19 pm »
Just had an email from UC saying I have a phone appointment with them next week, I have been claiming since March so does anybody know what the call could be about.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2021, 05:27:06 pm »
Just had an email from UC saying I have a phone appointment with them next week, I have been claiming since March so does anybody know what the call could be about.

Could be your work coach, have you checked your account online?
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2021, 07:10:47 pm »
Could be your work coach, have you checked your account online?

Yeah was thinking it could be work coach. Online journal just says I have phone appointment at 2pm.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #169 on: November 1, 2021, 09:52:11 am »

Chicago just approved a basic-income program pilot that will give 5,000 low-income households $500 per month for one year.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2022, 08:45:36 pm »
UK government faces £150m bill over social welfare discrimination

The UK government faces a £150m bill after a court confirmed tens of thousands of severely disabled people were discriminated against as a result of being left financially worse off after being moved on to universal credit.

A scathing judgment handed down on Friday marks the fourth victory in a six-year fight for justice against the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) brought by two disabled men who had their disability benefit payments cut by £180 a month after they moved house more than five years ago.

According to evidence provided by the DWP to the court during the claim, Friday’s ruling will affect up to 50,000 claimants, while the cost of providing transitional relief will involve sums of £20m to £30m a year over a six-year period.

Before moving on to universal credit, both men had been in receipt of the severe disability premium (SDP) and the enhanced disability premium (EDP) benefits, which were designed to meet the additional care needs of severely disabled people living alone with no carer.

Despite being advised by DWP officials that they would receive transitional relief – meaning in effect their income would not change – when they moved on to universal credit and their EDP and SDP payments stopped, each had £178 a month deducted, leaving them unable to meet key care needs.

TP moved house on clinical advice after he was diagnosed with a terminal illness, non-Hodgkin lymphoma and Castleman disease. AR, who had mental illness, moved after the bedroom tax forced him to find a cheaper home. Both were moved on to universal credit automatically.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jan/21/uk-government-bill-welfare-discrimination-universal-credit