Author Topic: Hamburg open fans' cemetery  (Read 881 times)

Offline mickl

• many mickls makes a muckl
  • Anny Roader
Hamburg open fans' cemetery
« on: September 10, 2008, 05:04:46 pm »
I'd have put this in the Under the Pitch section - if there was one...

From the BBC website:

Hamburg until I die - and beyond 

Fans will have to pay up to £1900 to be buried in Hamburg's cemetery
Hamburg have become the first football club in Europe to open their very own cemetery where fans can be buried next to the club's stadium.

The German side's HSV Arena stadium is clearly visible from the cemetery, which can cater for up to 500 fans.

"Many people think it's crazy and a strange idea," Hamburg board member Christian Reichert told German newspaper Suddeutsche Zeitung.

"But our plan is to capture worldwide attention with a serious venture."

Argentina's Boca Juniors are the only other club in the world who cater for lifelong fans in such a way, while in England fans often choose to have their ashes scattered on the hallowed turf in the stadium of their favourite club.

Hamburg supporters will pay up to £1900 for the privilege of being buried just a stone's throw from the stadium in a coffin decked out in the club's traditional blue-and-white colours and bearing the club's logo.

They can also choose to have their ashes buried in an official club urn, which will cost about £315.

Lars Rehder, the gardener of the Altona cemetery where Hamburg have reserved space for fans to be laid to rest, came up with the idea as many supporters were asking for plots due to its proximity with the stadium.

An official club urn will cost supporters about £315
The club will make no profit from the venture as all proceeds will go into the upkeep of the cemetery and Hamburg have granted licences to to allow four funeral directors in the city to bury Hamburg fans in official club coffins or urns.

The area is adorned with concrete goalposts and has been divided into three parts - stands, terraces and a VIP area.

Some fans have already reserved their place for when they pass away, but Reichert said he wants to keep some back for Hamburg's more elderly fans who have expressed an interest.

Offline That Kennedy moment

• "Down in 1...down in 1...or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..... *pause* .....47, 48, 49..... *sigh*.....
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why I'm here
Re: Hamburg open fans' cemetery
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 05:09:18 pm »
 cremate me in the kebab van outside the Kop
'I'd rather have a quick wank, a cup of tea and read the Beano frankly.'
Cornelius, 8 September 2008

Offline Oingy Boingy

• Bisquitts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 05:10:45 pm »
Wonder if keegan's reserved his plot....he'd probably go missing in the middle of the night anyway
Indeed...

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 05:35:02 pm »
We've already got one.  It's called our pitch!
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 05:41:04 pm »
i wanna open my own personal one, first to be interred two carpetbagging yankees...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline jonnygeeart

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P L.F.C
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 05:52:07 pm »
we know who we want to be the 1st two customers

Offline kingjari

• But you can call me Off the Pitch. Or donut.
  • Legacy Fan
  • It is our RIGHT, our DUTY to throw off such owners
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 08:01:53 pm »
interesting, what's it got to do with Liverpool FC though?

under the pitch, ha ha
SIR Bill Shankly:
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Spirit Of Shankly- JFT96

Con el Socio, todo ; sin el socio, nada

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html-  join online

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 08:55:44 pm »
cremate me in the kebab van outside the Kop

Nah I wont to be chopped up and sold in the old sausage cart that used to be near flag pole corner!
Oh W**ky W**ky, W**ky W**ky W**ky W**ky Warrington.

Betfair referal code 6TXMVXF6J. £25 free

Offline red_til_i_die

• Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina walks on water
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 09:42:32 am »
I like Hamburg. I've been to see a game there when i was on a stag do and it was a well organised club, a good stadium, granted the team didn't play well but they seem like a club that genuinely care about there fans and really have the attitude that no player is bigger than the club which they enforce.

They do attract good quality players as well as they've recently sold Van Der Vaart who we all know is a classy player.
They enforced that no one is bigger than the club mentality when they sold Kompany to Man City because he wanted to stay for all of the olympics with Belgium but they wanted him back to start the league campaign and he spat his dummy out.

I'd love to be buried in a cemetry with only liverpool fans for company. Ok well maybe Love is too stronger word. i think it's quite a nice idea though.
Slappa da Bass mon! Slappa deee Bassssss!!!!!
Love you Bro-Montana