Author Topic: Will Torres continue to improve?  (Read 14557 times)

Offline ALB37

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Will Torres continue to improve?
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2008, 01:28:34 pm »
He's crap, get rid.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2008, 01:29:27 pm »
ok even historically  real, juventus, milan, bayern, ajax have more league+european titles than liverpool

Eat a dick you little fucking weasil! :wanker

League Champions
Liverpool 18
Man United 17
Arsenal 13
Everton 9
Aston Villa 7

European Cup
Real Madrid 9
AC Milan 7
Liverpool 5
Ajax 4
Bayern Munich 4

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:31:25 pm by DangerScouse »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2008, 01:34:28 pm »
Gerrard's answer to the question (from official site0:

'The two of us complement each other well on the field and I'm sure we're still to see the very best of him in a Liverpool shirt. He's still young and I'm confident he has all the attributes to become the best player in the world. He's already one of them.'

Offline LiverpoolRedRoseFan38

• In search of an empty room to start a fight...
  • Kopite
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2008, 02:07:20 pm »
Except for many times at Atletico where he actually played more 'in the hole', as the creative hub of the team, and for his national side, where he's played as part of a front two many times.

Sure, Torres didn't look quite as lethal alongside Villa, but I seem to remember the team as a whole looked pretty spectacular, and Torres work in the channels certainly helped Villa score a bagful of goals, with Torres not exactly ending up bone dry himself.

But yeah, you're right, apart from those large sections of his career when he hasn't played as a lone-striker, he's played as a lone striker for the whole of his career.
the times i seen atletico he was a lone striker
My love is for Liverpool football club but also Lancashire county cricket club , the two greatest sports teams and clubs in the world .

Offline captain souness

• Main Stander
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2008, 09:23:08 pm »
Eat a dick you little fucking weasil! :wanker

League Champions
Liverpool 18
Man United 17
Arsenal 13
Everton 9
Aston Villa 7

European Cup
Real Madrid 9
AC Milan 7
Liverpool 5
Ajax 4
Bayern Munich 4

cant believe the moderators dont step in when people get called such vile names when all they are doing is backing up a point they have made, afterall isn't that the point of a forum to discuss differences of opinion wether you agree with them or not. anyway back to my point, as much as we like to think we are the biggest club in the world am afraid times have well and truly changed and unfortunately we are now only a big club in name only if you look at the facts below you can see how far we have dropped by letting our rivals catch up.
since we last won the league in 1990

Real Madrid        = 6 leagues, 3 champions leagues
A.C.Milan            = 3 leagues, 4 champions leagues
Bayern Munich    =10 leagues,1 champions league
Man United         = 10 leagues,2 champions leagues
Barcelona           =  4 leagues, 2 champions leagues
Ajax                    =7 leagues, 1 champions league
Porto                   =13 leagues, 1 champions league
Liverpool             = 0 leagues, 1 champions league

now am not saying all these clubs are bigger than Liverpool am just pointing out while we have done nothing since 1990 all these clubs have not been letting the grass grow under there feet like us and have been building and building. We cant keep hanging onto our past and saying we are still a big club like some of those giants because we are no longer the same club otherwise we will end up like Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday, Everton and Spurs whose fans themselves remember a glorious past and will still tell you they are one of the giants of the game. That's why I firmly believe that if we carry on like we have done for the last twenty years nearly, players like Torres will always be looking to play for bigger clubs with better teams that will provide him with the platform his wonderful talents deserve especially after tasting success with Spain he will defo want more seeing as he is an ambitious lad.
The Greatest Captain and Greatest Midfielder in the clubs history

Offline ALB37

• Main Stander
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2008, 09:29:57 pm »
You really are a sad, miserable human being aren't you SALISBURY?

Offline RyanNS

• Anny Roader
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2008, 12:19:01 am »
Bring in Villa to play along Torres.. They seem to get along well.
Ozzie

Offline adz174

• Main Stander
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2008, 12:48:18 am »
Torres is the best liverpool signing EVER
his potential is high as the sky
WALK ON

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2008, 12:54:55 am »
cant believe the moderators dont step in when people get called such vile names when all they are doing is backing up a point they have made, afterall isn't that the point of a forum to discuss differences of opinion wether you agree with them or not. anyway back to my point, as much as we like to think we are the biggest club in the world am afraid times have well and truly changed and unfortunately we are now only a big club in name only if you look at the facts below you can see how far we have dropped by letting our rivals catch up.

Man United         = 10 leagues,2 champions leagues
Barcelona           =  4 leagues, 2 champions leagues
Porto                   =13 leagues, 1 champions league
Liverpool             = 0 leagues, 1 champions league

now am not saying all these clubs are bigger than Liverpool am just pointing out while we have done nothing since 1990 all these clubs have not been letting the grass grow under there feet like us and have been building and building. We cant keep hanging onto our past and saying we are still a big club like some of those giants because we are no longer the same club otherwise we will end up like Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday, Everton and Spurs whose fans themselves remember a glorious past and will still tell you they are one of the giants of the game. That's why I firmly believe that if we carry on like we have done for the last twenty years nearly, players like Torres will always be looking to play for bigger clubs with better teams that will provide him with the platform his wonderful talents deserve especially after tasting success with Spain he will defo want more seeing as he is an ambitious lad.
Please fuck off you WUM.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2008, 01:04:28 am »
cant believe the moderators dont step in when people get called such vile names

Worth a ban you sad, no mark, c*nt.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2008, 01:10:09 am »
Will Torres continue to improve?

does butter melt on toast  ;D
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline robbie96

• Legacy Fan
  • Cometh the hour, Cometh the man!
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2008, 01:13:58 am »
Will Torres continue to improve?

does butter melt on toast  ;D

Yup, think he'll start on Saturday with Fulham ....first goal within the first 10 minutes :wave
Iain Macintosh via Twitter:
Bosingwa almost starts a riot by getting subbed and trudging off the pitch like a old border collie making his final trip to the vet.

Offline yafoy

• lazy git - sabu pundit on pot
  • Legacy Fan
  • a RED who occupies Europe
    • EuRED Liverpool UNofficial Supporters Network
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2008, 01:41:12 am »
just a diverse comment,...whilst Its great to sing & bounce with the "our Kid Torres" song..maybe when hes on the bench & Robbie (for example ) is trying to do his best for OUR team, we should chant for ROBBIE, its easy & understandable to make Torres our hero, but we should (as Shanks might remind us) be PROFESSIONAL supporters... ;) and support all the team..not just our favourites
Shanks: "Some people believe football is a matter of life and  death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that. - At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it"

Offline robbie96

• Legacy Fan
  • Cometh the hour, Cometh the man!
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2008, 01:57:26 am »
just a diverse comment,...whilst Its great to sing & bounce with the "our Kid Torres" song..maybe when hes on the bench & Robbie (for example ) is trying to do his best for OUR team, we should chant for ROBBIE, its easy & understandable to make Torres our hero, but we should (as Shanks might remind us) be PROFESSIONAL supporters... ;) and support all the team..not just our favourites

it's not our fault that Keane is a one syllable word now is it  ;D

Dal-glish, Dal-glish,Dal-glish.....Tor-res, Tor-res,Tor-res....Keane...shrugs....one syllable...them's the breaks  :P
Iain Macintosh via Twitter:
Bosingwa almost starts a riot by getting subbed and trudging off the pitch like a old border collie making his final trip to the vet.

Offline Remmi

• Boys Pen
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2008, 02:13:45 am »
The thing is Torres is already sooo good... If he manage to keep up with last season.

Thats already good...perfect

Offline Jambo Power

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2008, 04:06:12 am »
Barcelona have won 8 Titles since 1990 if anyone cares.  :nirnir

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2008, 09:58:29 am »
He's still 23.Of course he can improve more.If he couldn't at this stage of his career,then i'd be worried.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2008, 11:11:36 am »
Last season is his peak I doubt we will see a bigger improvement in the future. I have said it since last season he needs to improve his link up play which is substandard and his skill although the latter I can see him improving in the future

I wouldn't say his link up play was substandard at all, and I'm very surprised by that comment. Think he lays it off well and finds space and interchanges neat passes. That assist to Stevie last Saturday was stunning. 

I think we'll see even more than 33 goals from him in the future.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2008, 11:16:28 am »

Man United         = 10 leagues,2 champions leagues
Barcelona           =  4 leagues, 2 champions leagues
Porto                   =13 leagues, 1 champions league
Liverpool             = 0 leagues, 1 champions league

Nonsense. We've reached the last four of the Champions League three times in the last four years, reaching two finals. We have finished in the top four of the Premier League, the toughest league in the world with the most representatives in the last four of the Champions League the last four seasons, every season aside from Rafa's first.

The success of Ajax and Porto who are minnows compared to us at present and compete in staggeringly weak leagues has no relevance whatsoever. And saying we could end up like Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday, Everton or Spurs shows what an absolute joke you have become on this forum.

Offline IndianRed23

• Main Stander
  • JFT96
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2008, 11:21:20 am »
it's not our fault that Keane is a one syllable word now is it  ;D

Dal-glish, Dal-glish,Dal-glish.....Tor-res, Tor-res,Tor-res....Keane...shrugs....one syllable...them's the breaks  :P

Aha, but Kean-O has two...   ;D :wave
Walk On!

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2008, 11:36:38 am »
Bring in Villa to play along Torres.. They seem to get along well.
Villa and Torres don't work - for both to work it would need a change in both players - both would have to be better at link up play and look to assists. Oddly enough that's the weakest part of both their games - and arguably one of the better parts of Keanes game
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline captain souness

• Main Stander
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2008, 08:58:14 pm »
Nonsense. We've reached the last four of the Champions League three times in the last four years, reaching two finals. We have finished in the top four of the Premier League, the toughest league in the world with the most representatives in the last four of the Champions League the last four seasons, every season aside from Rafa's first.

The success of Ajax and Porto who are minnows compared to us at present and compete in staggeringly weak leagues has no relevance whatsoever. And saying we could end up like Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday, Everton or Spurs shows what an absolute joke you have become on this forum.
so do top top players want to play for a team that actually wins things or one that plays in champions league finals and semi finals and also gets into the champions league each season by finishing 4th mostly or sometimes third. Liverpool are a bigger club and more attractive than clubs like Ajax and Porto but they are not on the same scale as your United's, Madrid's and Barcelona's of this world and haven't been for over 15 years, these are the cold hard facts and top players will always see those clubs as better opportunities of furthering the career's than playing for us.
The Greatest Captain and Greatest Midfielder in the clubs history

Offline Football CRAZY

• Thick Prick
  • Legacy Fan
  • simply too intelligent, sorry.
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2008, 09:00:29 pm »
On a serious note. I like keane but hes to similair to torres

Don't make me laugh.

Offline cule

• Main Stander
  • Visca el Barça i visca Catalunya.
« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2008, 09:44:20 pm »
FC Barcelona are the biggest underachievers in the history of European Championships, along with Benfica.

I've watched Torres from the beginning of his career, and even though some of the things I say may be controversial, especially given this a Liverpool forum, well here goes;

Torres at Spain was a good striker, he had an ok goals per game ratio, he had good pace, an ok finisher, ok in the air. At Atletico, despite the fact that the team was basically tailor made to be built around him, he was the kind of striker that was 'a jack of all trades but the master of none'. In the league he wasn't as good as Villa, Eto'o or even Diego Milito, and for the national team he was 2nd to Villa.

However once he joined Liverpool and the EPL, he transformed, all his athletic and skillful attributes are tailor made to excell in the environment of the premier league. He is a physical presence, so he can outmuscle defenders easily, meaning he can lead the line easily and score alot of headers. His pace means that Alonsos and Gerrards through balls provide goals. Also, he is skillful, so he can dribble around defenders effectively too. His game is perfect for big strong pacey athletic defenders, he doesn't fare as well against defenders who read the game well, defenders that base their game around intelligence.

I don't think he is a better forward than David Villa, that's just a personal opinion and not one alot of people share, but he is a fantastic forward. There's no reason for him to continue to go onto bigger and greater things, afterall he has only played in his perfect environment for a year. Plus, the longer he is kept away from Barca the better  ;D ;D

Offline phoenix wright

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Kid Torres
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2008, 09:47:32 pm »
At Atletico, despite the fact that the team was basically tailor made to be built around him

:lmao

Tell me that this is a joke please.

He is a physical presence, so he can outmuscle defenders easily, meaning he can lead the line easily and score alot of headers

He hasn't scored "a lot" of headers... around five since he is in england I'd say. A lot of headers were scored by Morientes... but Torres scores an "average" number of headers for his heigh. One time Aragonés said that he should score more headers due to his heigh.

he doesn't fare as well against defenders who read the game well, defenders that base their game around intelligence.

Like Puyol?

I think he has more problems against pacey defenders than "intelligent" ones.

PS: Good luck in the league. Anything bar Madrid winning it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:55:42 pm by phoenix wright »
But tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun.

Offline cule

• Main Stander
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2008, 10:05:42 pm »

:lmao

Tell me that this is a joke please.

He hasn't scored "a lot" of headers... around five since he is in england I'd say. A lot of headers were scored by Morientes... but Torres scores an "average" number of headers for his heigh. One time Aragonés said that he should score more headers due to his heigh.

Like Puyol?

I think he has more problems against pacey defenders than "intelligent" ones.

PS: Good luck in the league. Anything bar Madrid winning it.

Well, he was the leader at Atletico, the star of the team, he was like Henry at Arsenal, his team mates receive the ball and straight away see if Torres was free.

Ok, I just meant that he is imo a good physical presence in the air.

I don't really agree, I think he is more suited to play against a defender like Bikey rather than someone like Navarro.

Thank you, good luck in the league, I like Liverpool and what they have stood for, I would definitely prefer you to win the league this season than Man Utd.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2008, 10:12:57 pm »
Torres can improve and specifically in his team play.

The fact that he has played his best for us (and spain) when played on his own has shown that he is more individual and probably still lacking a bit.

Also he scores less for spain which i know is for the fact that he is more a direct striker than someone who gets involved in spains slower build-up.

Probably just knit-picking to be fair, he still is a world class striker. However, I still think David Villa is a better striker, mainly due to the fact that he has more to his game, in terms of skill, ability to play with the team (including out wide) than Torres.

Offline phoenix wright

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Kid Torres
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2008, 10:20:30 pm »
Well, he was the leader at Atletico, the star of the team, he was like Henry at Arsenal, his team mates receive the ball and straight away see if Torres was free.

Ok, I just meant that he is imo a good physical presence in the air.

I don't really agree, I think he is more suited to play against a defender like Bikey rather than someone like Navarro.

Thank you, good luck in the league, I like Liverpool and what they have stood for, I would definitely prefer you to win the league this season than Man Utd.

Yes, he was the star at At.Madrid. But no team was built around him. How many times people was asking for a midfield to send balls to him? What Cerezo brought? I tell you: Sosa, Richard Núñez, Jorge Larena, Nano, Musampa, Novo, Movilla and many others that I prefer not to remember. The players that was most likely to send him the balls was a little lazy bas**rd called Ibagaza.

Do you really think that this is building a team around a player of Torres quality? We are not talking about Ronaldinho, Deco, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta...

Yes, he is a good physical presence in the air (something unusual talking about a spanish striker who use to be small). But in england there are many defenders with a good physical presence in the aire.

Navarro is a better defender than Bikey. But there are fast defenders like Ferdinand too... a pacey defender is always a problem when you try to play for the deep balls from the midfield or you try to use your pace to overpass them. Torres scored... 8? goals against Barcelona and I think that Puyol is not a "stupid" defender that doesn¡t know how to defend. And after five seasons he didn't know how to stop Torres yet.

And I am talking about this because I'm at Atleti fan and know perfectly what has happened to my team the last two decades. And saying that the team was built around him is faaar from being real. He never had here a good team around him. (And for that reason, anything bar madrid... :P )

However, I still think David Villa is a better striker, mainly due to the fact that he has more to his game, in terms of skill, ability to play with the team (including out wide) than Torres.

He has better things and worst ones. Villa isn't as good "main reference" on his own as Torres is. He hasn't that physical presence that Torres has and doesn't play on the defence shoulder as good as Torres does it. Is a player that use to need other player to his side to perform to his best. Most of his goals with the national team comes playing side to side with Torres. Torres is the other way, use to score more goals when he is playing on his own. Villa performs much better when other player is taking out the defenders over him because he is very good coming from the second line.

Moreover, one of the things that people always criticised more about Villa was how much he likes to have the ball for his own, so the ability to play with the team is a bit doubtful (despite I think is ok, but far from good or great). We are not talking about Rooney in that way.

Saying this, you use to loose some ability in some aspects of the game if you don't use them for a while. I am saying this because Torres played many times at Atlético widely (see any Barcelona match or World Cup) and he did many of his better matches playing widely. But he changed completely since he arrived to Liverpool. The first time I wrote in this forum I said that this was a good thing about Torres, even over him playing as the main reference  on the defence shoulder... but Benitez wantes him for other things and you can't blamce him after last year.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 10:40:14 pm by phoenix wright »

Offline cule

• Main Stander
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2008, 10:39:49 pm »
Yes, he was the star at At.Madrid. But no team was built around him. How many times people was asking for a midfield to send balls to him? What Cerezo brought? I tell you: Sosa, Richard Núñez, Jorge Larena, Nano, Musampa, Novo, Movilla and many others that I prefer not to remember. The players that was most likely to send him the balls was a little lazy bas**rd called Ibagaza.

Do you really think that this is building a team around a player of Torres quality? We are not talking about Ronaldinho, Deco, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta...

Yes, he is a good physical presence in the air (something unusual talking about a spanish striker who use to be small). But in england there are many defenders with a good physical presence in the aire.

Navarro is a better defender than Bikey. But there are fast defenders like Ferdinand too... a pacey defender is always a problem when you try to play for the deep balls from the midfield or you try to use your pace to overpass them. Torres scored... 8? goals against Barcelona and I think that Puyol is not a "stupid" defender that doesn¡t know how to defend. And after five seasons he didn't know how to stop Torres yet.

And I am talking about this because I'm at Atleti fan and know perfectly what has happened to my team the last two decades. And saying that the team was built around him is faaar from being real. He never had here a good team around him.

He has better things and worst ones. Villa isn't as good "main reference" on his own as Torres is. He hasn't that physical presence that Torres has and doesn't play on the defence shoulder as good as Torres does it. Is a player that use to need other player to his side to perform to his best. Most of his goals with the national team comes playing side to side with Torres. Torres is the other way, use to score more goals when he is playing on his own. Villa performs much better when other player is taking out the defenders over him because he is very good coming from the second line.

Moreover, one of the things that people always criticised more about Villa was how much he likes to have the ball for his own, so the ability to play with the team is a bit doubtful (despite I think is ok, but far from good or great). We are not talking about Rooney in that way.

Well, I'll take your point, as you are an Atleti fan. I just thought it was fair to say the team relied on him so much, despite being so young he was the main man on the field for Atleti.

I think Puyol eventually figured out how to defend against him, remember his last game against Barca, 6-0 at the Vicente Calderon I believe.  :D However I do think Puyol bashing has become almost fashionable these days, I think he is an very good defender and a good leader for the team.

Also, Ferdinand is a great example! Ferdinand may be pacey, but I think his game is based mainly on his ability to read the game, he rarely gets himself in positions where he is caught out by strikers because of his intelligence. However, his pace then does help him when he gets caught out (which doesn't happen often). People praise Vidic/ Toure for their ability to save his team with a last ditch tackle, but with Ferdinand his positional sense is so good that he is rarely in a situation where he has to make a last ditch tackle.

That's why Ferdinand was good against Torres last season, he didn't let Torres get the opportunity to utilise his pace, Ferdinand was excellently positioned at all times.

Are you from Madrid?

Offline phoenix wright

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Kid Torres
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2008, 10:52:04 pm »
Well, I'll take your point, as you are an Atleti fan. I just thought it was fair to say the team relied on him so much, despite being so young he was the main man on the field for Atleti.

I think Puyol eventually figured out how to defend against him, remember his last game against Barca, 6-0 at the Vicente Calderon I believe.  :D However I do think Puyol bashing has become almost fashionable these days, I think he is an very good defender and a good leader for the team.

Also, Ferdinand is a great example! Ferdinand may be pacey, but I think his game is based mainly on his ability to read the game, he rarely gets himself in positions where he is caught out by strikers because of his intelligence. However, his pace then does help him when he gets caught out (which doesn't happen often). People praise Vidic/ Toure for their ability to save his team with a last ditch tackle, but with Ferdinand his positional sense is so good that he is rarely in a situation where he has to make a last ditch tackle.

That's why Ferdinand was good against Torres last season, he didn't let Torres get the opportunity to utilise his pace, Ferdinand was excellently positioned at all times.

Are you from Madrid?

But that isn't any good for him. Being 18 years old and being the main man of the team and two years after being the captain... since then to the moment he left, he hasn't had any team built around him. Ypu can be the star man of your team but at the same not having a team built up around you. With 18 years old, you can't be a star man in your team... that means that something goes wrong. Messi debuted with 17? years old, and even two years later wasn't the star man. Torres the year after he made his debut was already the star man of the team. And since then there were never a great player in the team or even there were not more than three or four good players that could have a place in a mid table league team.

That 0-6 time there were nothing to defend... it was a monologue from Barcelona (like this season...).

Last season matches against United he barely had any service. It's more, in one of them Mascherano was sent off and Gerrard had to play his role what left Torres lonely up front. Last season he had good matches and scored against teams like Chelsea or Inter that hardly have a poor defence. Anyway, I think there are not many great defences in these day... around five teams have a great defence, not much more.

I'm from Spain but not from Madrid.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 10:56:16 pm by phoenix wright »

Offline KTS

• Loves the mods so very much, especially on RAWK
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2008, 11:00:18 pm »
I think Torres will struggle to reach 20 goals in the Prem this season, he came back from EURO 08 not as fit as he should have been, he's had a stop/start season so far. I reckon he'll need at least a run of another 4/5 games before he can reach last season's level.
Has no opinion as it is normally wrong.

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2008, 11:02:47 pm »
I think Torres will struggle to reach 20 goals in the Prem this season, he came back from EURO 08 not as fit as he should have been, he's had a stop/start season so far. I reckon he'll need at least a run of another 4/5 games before he can reach last season's level.
Maybe so, but I'm pretty sure he has more league goals now than he did at this stage last season.

Offline phoenix wright

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Kid Torres
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2008, 11:06:39 pm »
Maybe so, but I'm pretty sure he has more league goals now than he did at this stage last season.

He had scored one more last season... but he had played more matches obviously.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2008, 01:21:42 am »

He scored 5 goals in the first 9 games mate.
How did his so called lack of fitness effect him then?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2008, 06:19:01 am »
He certainly can improve his overall game, he's a class finisher. Just wonder if 'improving' his overall game may take away from his ability or knack of popping up in the right place at the right time. There's games where he doesn't get nearly a touch, then pops up with a goal in the 80th minute.(That's been more than enough though) I'm happy with that, but his overall game could improve.

How many assists did he have last season, just curious.

Offline sisterbliss

• Legacy Fan
  • Out now The Goodison Persecution Complex
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2008, 08:55:26 am »
Of course he will continue to improve, the dreaded midweek friendly put some more positive match fitness under his belt, scored a nice goal and came away unscathed.  Fulham though was a dour encounter was more precious match fitness time and is a blessing that we have the Marseille game midweek. 

What I did like especially in the Euro's was his use of upper body strength which I hope he will bring into his game for us and will be another added quality.
Try to sit on the fence and you're quickly exposed as a fraud, hiding your true feelings but fooling no one.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2008, 03:17:28 pm »
Anyone seen this ?

http://www.fernando9torres.com/index.php?p=2842

Dont speak Spanish or French, any chance of a little translation ? (main points)

Not just slysports who pick out the paddy's to sing for tv then  ::)