Author Topic: Official : LFC to blame for the Recession  (Read 1055 times)

Offline DaveJ

• Main Stander
Official : LFC to blame for the Recession
« on: September 4, 2001, 10:29:54 pm »
I subscribe to a news weekly called The Week which reproduces articles from the previous week's press. Last week it included the following piece from the Independent on Sunday. Now I knew the press hates us but to blame the country's economic woes on us? Isn't that taking it a bit too far? ;)

-------------------------------------

"All the statistics point towards recession, says Noel Healy of E&H Capital Partners, but "out on the streets it's harder to tell". The usual London indicators - restaurants, taxis, traffic congestion - do not seem to tell of a major downturn. "My barber and my local publican" do not speak of doom and gloom. ............ In business, the level of M&A activity and capital-raising at the smaller end of the market "seems reasonably active"; ........ .... And "my personal economic indicator" confirms that "we're likely to keep tottering along": when the performance of Manchester United is good, as in the Sixties and the Nineties, economic prospects are good too. On the other hand, Liverpool - which represents the Seventies and Eighties - is also "coming strong" and that could signal disaster.

----------------------------------------

Now, you can conclude several things from this :

a. Noel Healy is a Manc. After all, he lives in London and is obsessed by money. ;)

b. He knows nothing about football otherwise he'd know that Liverpool were also successful in the Sixties. And weren't the Eighties a boom time too?

c. The Independent on Sunday prints shite.

d. Economics is not a science but is based on the whims of idiots.

or,

e. The whole thing is a wind-up  :)

Personally, I go for the latter. But, then again....

Wilbur (Guest)

Re: Official : LFC to blame for the Recession
« Reply #1 on: September 5, 2001, 04:16:30 am »
How about:

f. Writers like Noel Healy who correlate sporting success with economic trends have no earthly glimmer of a clue what the economy is actually doing and therefor resort to writing monkeybottoms.
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 5, 2001, 02:59:54 pm »
What about the other decades where the Mancs and LFC were successful? The 1930s was a time of depression, and yet Arsenal were dominant, winning three back to back titles.

The man is talking shite, and he knows it!

Offline Davesy

• Kemlynite
  • Done the treble
« Reply #3 on: September 5, 2001, 04:52:17 pm »
What a load of S@*Łe! How he gets paid for that crap is beyond me.