Author Topic: Stuck in a rut.  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Stuck in a rut.
« on: October 6, 2014, 02:18:23 am »
 Without going into too much detail (details are manky), I feel as though I have got myself into a bit of a rut. Not like a depressive rut, more of a routine rut. Habit-repetition-habit-repetition. I'm fairly sure I'm not alone here, as it's one of those feelings like... Well, it's like Deja Vu isn't it? Everyone gets it, but can't explain it.

A little more to the point though, I'm a writer and since moving back to where I would call home, I have found myself developing into a place where I find myself remembering memories (Both good and bad), and pondering on them to the point where I no longer feel empowered over my own fate. I don't think it's a subconscious choice; hell, I don't even think it's conscious choice, I just think it happened.

So without harping on and harping on about myself, I wonder what one does to 'get out of a rut', so to speak. I wonder if other members have had the same experiences and I'd be interested to hear how they have traversed this feeling. Advice over the form of ASCII-text is well... It's a bit like a well picked bogey of sorts, you flick it about a lot, but you never eat your own. So whilst, I'd be inclined to not directly ask for advice (as it where), I'd be interested to hear members thoughts, experiences and/or 'things'.

« Last Edit: October 6, 2014, 02:21:02 am by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: Stuck in a rut.
« Reply #1 on: October 6, 2014, 02:23:13 am »
Should have gone for 4WD!

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2 on: October 6, 2014, 02:27:52 am »
Should have gone for 4WD!

Tried that, burnt my engine out mate. Would prefer to steer clear of bogs, swamps and wet sodden grass.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 6, 2014, 09:03:40 am »

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #4 on: October 6, 2014, 09:24:57 am »
In my opinion it's all about being conscious. If you're being conscious / aware of your thoughts and feelings then you can practice in stopping them before they turn into something you can't snap out of again. It's important to remember that you're not your thoughts or your feelings. They are both products of your mind but they're not the real you. We humans have between 60.000 - 80.000 thoughts a day - every day - and if we start to believe we are these thoughts then we're on a path to no good.

When I sometimes get caught up in negative thoughts and emotions I try to be aware of what thoughts and feeling are going through my head and try to stop them and think of good / positive things instead. It's hard work but it works for me. Once you get to know yourself better it also gets easier to stop your thoughts.

EDIT: This is a translation of a message I sent to a mate earlier this year who felt he was stuck in a rut too:

Don't listen to your thoughts and emotions, let them be what they are: thoughts and emotions from your past and perhaps even past lives. Note and experience them without giving them more space than that and then sense what you want to do and do it whatever may be triggered or appear from the past.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2014, 11:13:58 am by Bennekov »

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #5 on: October 6, 2014, 09:58:14 am »
“The mind spends most of the time lost in fantasies and illusions, reliving pleasant or unpleasant experiences and anticipating the future with eagerness or fear. While lost in such cravings or aversions, we are unaware of what is happening now, what we are doing now.”
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 6, 2014, 11:14:45 am »
Snip
Found that very interesting but if I'm not the sum of my thoughts and feelings, what am I?

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #7 on: October 6, 2014, 11:19:21 am »
Found that very interesting but if I'm not the sum of my thoughts and feelings, what am I?

Your inner you is not your thoughts and feelings. You could say you are what's in between experiencing the thoughts and feelings. We can have bad thoughts about hurting others but imo no one is born evil.

Mind English is not my native language so I might not be able to express exactly what I mean but I'll do what i can to get my message across as clear as possible. :)
« Last Edit: October 6, 2014, 11:21:27 am by Bennekov »

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 6, 2014, 11:51:41 am »
Quote from: Zoe
So what can you do to tame your negative thoughts?

1. Be aware.
Notice next time you experience a negative thought. Often we are so “in our heads” that we don’t even realize that we may have spent the last 20 minutes in the throws of self-pity or worries.

2. Keep calm.
Try not to have an emotional reaction to any negative thoughts that pop up. Remember that you are not your thoughts, and try to distance yourself from them.

3. Catch the first thought.
If you can catch your negative thinking early on, then it will be much easier for you to stop it before it escalates into a big problem. Often something that starts out as a minor problem ends up being completely blown out of proportion.

4. Assess if the thought is true.
Most negative thoughts are not based on reality. So ask yourself, “Is that thought 100% true?” Usually this will help to break down the meaning of the thought.

5. Look for a positive take on it.
Instead of finding ways to escalate the thought, do the opposite and look for ways to prove that the thought is not true. For example, if you’re doubting your capabilities you could look for an example of someone else who has achieved in this area. If someone else has done it, then what’s stopping you?

6. Don’t beat yourself up.
You are not your thoughts. Resist the urge to beat yourself up when you catch yourself thinking negatively. Everyone has negative thoughts from time to time. Just be aware and choose not to listen to all of them so you can get on with living your life.
I'm massively guilty of thinking negatively and allowing those thoughts to spiral, ultimately leading to anxiety.

Funny that I'd not considered this point of view before.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 6, 2014, 12:00:01 pm »
“Your body is precious. It is your vehicle for awakening. Treat it with care.” ~Buddha

“Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you’re climbing it.” ~Andy Rooney

“We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” ~Cynthia Ozick

“Every day brings a choice: to practice stress or to practice peace.” ~Joan Borysenko

“To ensure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” ~William Londen

“We first make our habits, then our habits make us.” ~Charles C. Noble

“Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action.” ~Benjamin Disraeli

“You get peace of mind not by thinking about it or imagining it, but by quietening and relaxing the restless mind.” ~Remez Sasson

“Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.” ~The Dalai Lama

“Whatever you fight, you strengthen, and what you resist, persists.” ~Eckhart Tolle

“To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are.” ~Sven Goran Eriksson ;D

“It is better to make many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward.” ~Proverb

“You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” ~Buddha

“Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.” ~Kahlil Gibran

“Have respect for yourself, and patience and compassion. With these, you can handle anything.” ~Jack Kornfield

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.” ~Lao Tzu

“If you do nothing unexpected, nothing unexpected happens.” ~Fay Weldon

“Waking up to who you are requires letting go of who you imagine yourself to be.” ~Alan Watts

“The heart is like a garden: it can grow compassion or fear, resentment or love. What seeds will you plant there?” ~ Jack Kornfield

“He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the world.” ~Marcus Aurelius

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #10 on: October 6, 2014, 12:07:36 pm »
I'm Gonna Make A Change,
For Once In My Life
It's Gonna Feel Real Good,
Gonna Make A Difference
Gonna Make It Right . . .
As I, Turn Up The Collar On My
Favourite Winter Coat