Author Topic: The small things in life that really hannoy  (Read 2600920 times)

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The small things in life that really hannoy
« Reply #44000 on: Today at 04:58:50 am »
When someone says to me "How long will you be?" or "What time will you be here?" I'll often respond with something like 14 minutes or 6.47.
"That's very precise"

It's no more precise than saying 15 minutes or 6.45.

You’re doing the right thing Barney. For some reason our society has become uncomfortable with precise times. “That’s very precise” they’ll say, or “and how many milliseconds?” in an attempt to deflect the situation back onto you, when it’s really them with the problem

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44001 on: Today at 08:52:39 am »
BTW ppl telling you "it's 6:47" doesn't necessarily mean that is the exact time.

Do you mean their watch might be wrong or they dont include seconds.
Surely the fact that by the time you have finished your sentence the seconds have increased makes that much precision redundant
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44002 on: Today at 08:54:22 am »
Do you mean their watch might be wrong or they dont include seconds.
Surely the fact that by the time you have finished your sentence the seconds have increased makes that much precision redundant
correct on both counts Kenny.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44003 on: Today at 09:04:43 am »
correct on both counts Kenny.

Cheers Lid
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44004 on: Today at 09:31:25 am »
Here's one for you - if I ask you the time, just tell me what fking time it is

If it's 9.58, say it's 9.58 - don't say it's 10, nearly 10, about 10, coming up for 10. Tell me the actual hour and minute of the day and I'll do my own calculations/rounding thank you very much. I'm more than capable of summarizing the time to the specifications I require. If it's 10.00 tell me its 10 on the dot. The 'on the dot' is sadly necessary because of the aforementioned grievance.

I've said my piece

What if my Rolex doesn't have minute hands.

(I don't have a rolex, just an apple watch ultra ... which is nearly as expensive tbf   :'()
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44005 on: Today at 09:52:44 am »
What if my Rolex doesn't have minute hands.

(I don't have a rolex, just an apple watch ultra ... which is nearly as expensive tbf   :'()

£8k for an apple watch?  :o

Here's one for you - if I ask you the time, just tell me what fking time it is

If it's 9.58, say it's 9.58 - don't say it's 10, nearly 10, about 10, coming up for 10. Tell me the actual hour and minute of the day and I'll do my own calculations/rounding thank you very much. I'm more than capable of summarizing the time to the specifications I require. If it's 10.00 tell me its 10 on the dot. The 'on the dot' is sadly necessary because of the aforementioned grievance.

I've said my piece

I'm not TIM the speaking clock, so the best you'll get from me is nearly 25 to 1.

If you want "At the 3rd stroke, the Time, sponsored by accurist, will be 12:34 and 10 seconds" you'd better dial 123 ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44006 on: Today at 10:20:25 am »
Am I fuck replying with I'll be there at 9.46 or I'm only 12 minutes away to you time lords. This isn't Doctor Who.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44007 on: Today at 10:27:00 am »
Am I fuck replying with I'll be there at 9.46 or I'm only 12 minutes away to you time lords. This isn't Doctor Who.

If Im on the way somewhere and I think it will be 7 or 9 minutes before I arrive Ill say that as rounding up/down increases the chance Ill be too late or early

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44008 on: Today at 01:49:55 pm »

I hate people not being ready if I'm picking them up or we're going somewhere.

If I'm in the office and the missus needs to go shopping, I'll give her a time to be ready for based on what time my train gets to the the station and how long it will take me to drive from the station to home.

So if my train gets in at 4.17, I'll tell her to be ready for 4.26 as I know it will take me 9 minutes to get off the train and drive to the house.

If I say 25 past then I'm late. If I say half 4 then I've to sit and wait around for 4 minutes.

Of course there are times when traffic or roadworks can scupper that, but usually if I say a time, that's what time I will arrive and I expect whatever fucker to be ready to go at that time too.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #44009 on: Today at 01:56:41 pm »

If I'm in the office and the missus needs to go shopping, I'll give her a time to be ready for based on what time my train gets to the the station and how long it will take me to drive from the station to home.

So if my train gets in at 4.17, I'll tell her to be ready for 4.26 as I know it will take me 9 minutes to get off the train and drive to the house.

If I say 25 past then I'm late. If I say half 4 then I've to sit and wait around for 4 minutes.

Of course there are times when traffic or roadworks can scupper that, but usually if I say a time, that's what time I will arrive and I expect whatever fucker to be ready to go at that time too.

You should run our train network!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #44010 on: Today at 02:00:53 pm »

I only know 2 people who are punctual, but otherwise if I want people to be ready for something at a certain time, I ALWAYS tell them that I need them at an earlier time - at least 15 minutes depending on the person. The Mrs I tell her 30 minutes earlier.  ;D

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44011 on: Today at 02:02:01 pm »

You’re respecting their intellect, that they can handle the information you’re giving them, and most importantly you’re respecting their time - the one thing they can’t buy, it’s truly priceless. You’re a good man Barney and will one day be looked upon as such

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #44012 on: Today at 02:12:21 pm »

My missus is that bad at getting ready and being on time, that one time we was going for a meal with my family and they told us the table was booked 30 minutes earlier than it was.

When we got there 30mins late and wondered how they'd not ordered yet they let us in on it.

:butt
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #44013 on: Today at 02:16:45 pm »
I think I've figured how my missus timekeeping works. She thinks that when people say be there at 9.47, that means start getting ready at 9.47. Don't allow for travel time. Don't allow for the fact the kids are like herding cats.  I'm just glad she hates flying as my stress levels for catching the plane would be fatal.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #44014 on: Today at 02:45:48 pm »
I think I've figured how my missus timekeeping works. She thinks that when people say be there at 9.47, that means start getting ready at 9.47. Don't allow for travel time. Don't allow for the fact the kids are like herding cats.  I'm just glad she hates flying as my stress levels for catching the plane would be fatal.

Mine is from Guatemala and has family in Florida and Spain, i know before we were together she'd travel between them and UK quite a bit on her own.  How she's never missed every flight she's ever been booked on i don't know. :P Don't know how we've not killed each other at an airport either to be honest ;D as i'm very much a make sure we get there in plenty of time and chill out with a drink or meal person.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44015 on: Today at 03:02:41 pm »

I'm not TIM the speaking clock, so the best you'll get from me is nearly 25 to 1.

If you want "At the 3rd stroke, the Time, sponsored by accurist, will be 12:34 and 10 seconds" you'd better dial 123 ;D

Hmm I think I see what’s happening here. You’re taking the extra step - extra time and mental energy - to summarize the time because you have a desperate need to feel in control, if even just for a moment. Having the exact information but only giving me an abbreviated version gives you this fleeting sense of power. It’s obviously related to a traumatic childhood incident and is probably the reason you drive lorries.  It goes without saying that there are some severe erectile dysfunction issues as well.

At least I understand what’s going on now

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44016 on: Today at 04:14:29 pm »
Hmm I think I see what’s happening here. You’re taking the extra step - extra time and mental energy - to summarize the time because you have a desperate need to feel in control, if even just for a moment. Having the exact information but only giving me an abbreviated version gives you this fleeting sense of power. It’s obviously related to a traumatic childhood incident and is probably the reason you drive lorries.  It goes without saying that there are some severe erectile dysfunction issues as well.

Nothing wrong with my cock thanks ;D

In reality I glance at my watch and cannot be arsed to give the exact time, so give an approximate value
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44017 on: Today at 04:43:37 pm »

£799, but I have ten arms.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44018 on: Today at 04:44:43 pm »

That's how time works for me. 9am start means getting up at 9 thanks.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44019 on: Today at 05:07:29 pm »
Mine is from Guatemala and has family in Florida and Spain, i know before we were together she'd travel between them and UK quite a bit on her own.  How she's never missed every flight she's ever been booked on i don't know. :P Don't know how we've not killed each other at an airport either to be honest ;D as i'm very much a make sure we get there in plenty of time and chill out with a drink or meal person.

My missus is ok with getting there early, but then has to be basically the last on the plane, whereas I just want to get on and get settled.

Years ago went to Amsterdam with an ex, she refused to get up early "we'll have plenty of time", so by the time we got to Manc we'd been bumped off our flight due to an earlier one getting cancelled, sat on a plane for 3 hours on the stand and got into Schipol 6 hours later than planned - not fun when you're on a city break :butt
Jurgen YNWA

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44020 on: Today at 05:19:50 pm »

so you're saying you never run into traffic problems?  wow.  :)

btw sitting around for 4 minutes isn't exactly a huge hardship is it?

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44021 on: Today at 05:24:15 pm »

well jokes aside, I for one I don't understand you at all, mate

have you never been late for something?  due to reasons beyond your control? and meanwhile someone is waiting for you to arrive at your self-declared "4:27pm"? 

or flip it around - what do you do if someone tells you "4:27" but they are then held up?  what do you do - sue them?

fucking hell.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44022 on: Today at 05:38:11 pm »

Being a Full Time truck driver, our kid has seen a few people who did something stupid rather than be late - they ended up literally late.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44023 on: Today at 05:53:42 pm »

You've literally just ignored the first half of that sentence where I state

Of course there are times when traffic or roadworks can scupper that

:D

Let people be 4 minutes late, then eventually that grows into half an hour.
Be ready at the time I say or make your own way next time. Especially if I'm going out of my way to do someone a favour.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44024 on: Today at 05:57:19 pm »

have you never been late for something?  due to reasons beyond your control? and meanwhile someone is waiting for you to arrive at your self-declared "4:27pm"? 

or flip it around - what do you do if someone tells you "4:27" but they are then held up?  what do you do - sue them?

fucking hell.

I think you're responding more to Barney's scenario but as I'm backing him to the hilt, I'll answer

"Current ETA is 4:27 Sam, over"

Giving specific and accurate information costs nothing and hurts nobody

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44025 on: Today at 06:05:57 pm »

fucking hell.

It depends what you would deem to be reasons beyond your control.

If someone is sitting in the house waiting for me and they're not ready, there's no acceptable excuse.
If someone is on a train and tells me the train arrives at the station at 4.27, it's obviously acceptable if the train is early or late as they're not driving it.
If they've missed that particular train and won't arrive until 4.57, that's more than likely their own fault for having shit timekeeping and therefore not acceptable.

Of course you don't sue them - you just huff like a child when they get into the car, don't speak to them for the duration of the journey and slam the door when getting out.  ;D

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44026 on: Today at 06:07:47 pm »
I was proud of making the Merseyrail to Liverpool by 2 seconds last month. That counts as being early for me.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44027 on: Today at 06:09:21 pm »
I used to travel from Birmingham to London to see my Mrs before we got married. A good 2+ hour train journey iirc. She had less to travel / walk to where we'd meet. She'd still be late ;D

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44028 on: Today at 06:10:55 pm »
I used to travel from Birmingham to London to see my Mrs before we got married. A good 2+ hour train journey iirc. She had less to travel / walk to where we'd meet. She'd still be late ;D

Good on her. Why be early and wait around when you can be late and have others wait around.  :D

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44029 on: Today at 06:51:12 pm »
My missus hates me for this - I'm dead narky if I have to wait for any of them, snarling, pulling faces etc, but when we all go out as a family, I'm the one with 10 mins to go will go for a shower, or who will go the bog just before we go out, or not have my trainees on as they're walking out the door ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44030 on: Today at 06:53:39 pm »
Good on her. Why be early and wait around when you can be late and have others wait around.  :D
It amused me initially and then it would I would be astonished when it became the norm ;D I'd be like I've travelled to station got train down. Gone on underground and made it to wherever and still not enough notice ;D