Author Topic: Draft Towers  (Read 93643 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Believer
  • JFT96
Re: Draft Towers
« Reply #2720 on: May 3, 2019, 03:08:12 PM »
Just had an interesting idea. What about a GoT draft? Where you have to fill the king and small council (hand of the king, king's guard, master of coin and whispers, etc.) positions with characters from the show?

I'd also be well up for something like this once the show is finished - which is not too far away now! The thread would likely end up being a spoiler haven and way to reminisce about the best parts of the show. Which would be great. I reckon this is something to throw up in the main GOT thread once we near the end. Not sure how my footy drafters are regular watchers.
"Donít let your heads drop. Weíre Liverpool. Youíre playing for Liverpool. Donít forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #2721 on: May 8, 2019, 04:14:40 AM »
The Origi-Gini Draft (3 ideas)

----  Biggest Hipster goal scorers (no Kompany)
----  Born in Belgium or Holland
----  Bench Players who have GW goals in ECL
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
Itís there to remind our lads who theyíre playing for and to remind the opposition who theyíre playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2722 on: May 11, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »
Just had an interesting idea. What about a GoT draft? Where you have to fill the king and small council (hand of the king, king's guard, master of coin and whispers, etc.) positions with characters from the show?
How about a draft of this structure where you draw the choices from either real life people or fictional characters?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2723 on: May 11, 2019, 05:57:05 PM »
How about a draft of this structure where you draw the choices from either real life people or fictional characters?

Would like that.  Especially if there was a sabotage pick from the group that every team had to integrate into their squad.

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
Itís there to remind our lads who theyíre playing for and to remind the opposition who theyíre playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2724 on: June 4, 2019, 07:21:33 PM »
Celebratory Summer Draft? 

Don't care what it is really, just enjoy being here with you all --- as European Champs!  Anything else is just gravy.

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Foregone Concussion

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2725 on: June 4, 2019, 08:02:31 PM »
Was thinking about an Africa Cup of Nations/Copa America draft given both tournaments are on this summer.

Something like a minimum of four players who have participated in each competition. Thoughts?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2726 on: June 5, 2019, 03:04:49 AM »
Was thinking about an Africa Cup of Nations/Copa America draft given both tournaments are on this summer.

Something like a minimum of four players who have participated in each competition. Thoughts?

Great idea... would like to follow both of these more.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline mikey_LFC

• Believer
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #2727 on: June 5, 2019, 10:24:05 AM »

I'd quite like to do this, would prefer if it was limited to current eligible players.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2728 on: June 5, 2019, 01:58:38 PM »
Hmmm, was thinking an all time one given it might be difficult enough with just modern players.

Offline tubby

• Not on my watch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2729 on: June 5, 2019, 02:00:42 PM »
Yeah I think this sort of thing would be better if it were all time.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2730 on: June 5, 2019, 03:14:45 PM »
All-time, one player per country, minimum five from each continent.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2731 on: June 5, 2019, 03:27:12 PM »
Ooh I like that.

Are people up for this then? I was waiting until the Champions League final to be over - my interest would have been close to nil had we lost :P

Offline mikey_LFC

• Believer
« Reply #2732 on: June 5, 2019, 04:00:39 PM »
Fine, all-time is cool. Just wanted something more difficult and related to these tournaments so we get to know the players better. Whatever people want though.

I'm in either way.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2733 on: June 5, 2019, 04:47:06 PM »
In either way... The lads who do these drafts --- Hazell, BB, Samie, Mikey are outstanding in making them and running them.

Celebrate!  Let's draft.

6 are in!
6 times European Champs!

Destiny!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2734 on: June 5, 2019, 05:08:31 PM »
Good stuff. How many players per country? Was thinking just to have a minimum number of players who have played in each competition but like one per country too.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #2735 on: June 5, 2019, 06:22:46 PM »
I've got a idea for after the Copa/ACoN draft. Needs a bit of collab to refine the rules - not sure about all of these.

The power of 6 (Shopping List) Draft -

Let's talk about 6 ba-by.

[1] A player who played in one of Liverpool's 6 European Cup/Champions League final wins.

[2] A player who wore the number 6 at either a World Cup or the European Championships.

[3] A player who was born in a year ending in a 6 (i.e. 1986, 1976, 1966 etc)

[4] A player who has 6 letters in their surname.

[5] A retired player who has either 6 or less caps or 6 or less goals at international level.

[6] A player who played for 6 different football clubs.

[7] A player who finished sixth in the Ballon d'Or.

[8] A player who was born on the 6th of any month (i.e. Jan 6th, Feb 6th, March 6th etc).

[9] A player who wore the number 6 in any European Cup/Champions League Final

[10] A player who has six fingers (played for a Manchester club for at least 6 years)

[11] A player who has scored a total of 6 goals at the World Cup or European Championships (not just at a single tournament) OR a player who has scored 6 goals in a single European Cup/Champions League season.

"Donít let your heads drop. Weíre Liverpool. Youíre playing for Liverpool. Donít forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2736 on: June 5, 2019, 07:34:48 PM »
I've got a idea for after the Copa/ACoN draft. Needs a bit of collab to refine the rules - not sure about all of these.

The power of 6 (Shopping List) Draft -

Let's talk about 6 ba-by.

[1] A player who played in one of Liverpool's 6 European Cup/Champions League final wins.

[2] A player who wore the number 6 at either a World Cup or the European Championships.

[3] A player who was born in a year ending in a 6 (i.e. 1986, 1976, 1966 etc)

[4] A player who has 6 letters in their surname.

[5] A retired player who has either 6 or less caps or 6 or less goals at international level.

[6] A player who played for 6 different football clubs.

[7] A player who finished sixth in the Ballon d'Or.

[8] A player who was born on the 6th of any month (i.e. Jan 6th, Feb 6th, March 6th etc).

[9] A player who wore the number 6 in any European Cup/Champions League Final

[10] A player who has six fingers (played for a Manchester club for at least 6 years)

[11] A player who has scored a total of 6 goals at the World Cup or European Championships (not just at a single tournament) OR a player who has scored 6 goals in a single European Cup/Champions League season.

OMG!!!!  I am so in....  How about one category for the #6's of the AFCON or COPA tourney each (current players only) --- only a suggestion, cause I love both draft ideas.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2019, 08:35:41 PM by The Piss-artist Formerly Known As Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2737 on: June 5, 2019, 09:27:06 PM »
Don't mind, up for any sort of draft. We've got two months before the proper football starts up again!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2738 on: June 5, 2019, 11:29:45 PM »
Don't mind, up for any sort of draft. We've got two months before the proper football starts up again!

Excited about your draft as well Hazell...  Need to learn more about the countries and teams involved. 

Its just that BB had a list I could start working on right away -- and got a bit jocular..
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline mikey_LFC

• Believer
« Reply #2739 on: June 6, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »
So which we going with? Maybe go with the power of 6 one first as its fresh and there is still a few weeks before other competitions take off?

Although these do take a few weeks to run and the feeling of being 6 times champions isn't going away anytime soon.

Offline Betty Blue

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #2740 on: June 6, 2019, 11:08:11 AM »
Sorry, didn't mean to derail Hazell's draft. Just wanted to put the idea out there while there were people reading the thread!

Let's talk more about the Copa/ACoN draft. Rules so far -

- Maximum of 5 players per continent (i.e. 5/6 x South Americans & 5/6 x African players).

- No more than one player per country, 11 from 11.

Anything else?

Modern players vs all time? The reason I'd be against modern players only is that Messi is the only GOAT available and pretty much dwarfs all the other picks. I'd love for it to be based an actual Copa/ACoN form, but that seems highly unlikely.

Could have a rule about having at least 2 players (one from each tournament) from this years Copa/ACoN though.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Believer
« Reply #2741 on: June 6, 2019, 11:20:19 AM »
Sorry, didn't mean to derail Hazell's draft. Just wanted to put the idea out there while there were people reading the thread!

- Maximum of 5 players per continent (i.e. 5/6 x South Americans & 5/6 x African players).

Anything else?

Modern players vs all time? The reason I'd be against modern players only is that Messi is the only GOAT available and pretty much dwarfs all the other picks. I'd love for it to be based an actual Copa/ACoN form, but that seems highly unlikely.

Could have a rule about having at least 2 players (one from each tournament) from this years Copa/ACoN though.

Assuming you mean minimum of 5 per continent as otherwise you can't get to 11. But agreed thats a good rule.

Also like the 1 player per country.

I'd prefer more emphasis on this years tournaments so I like the minimum of 2 from each tournament this year.

I get where you're coming from with Messi, but there are many world class players to pick from and so Messi doesn't guarantee a win (as Barca found out in the semis hahaha).

My issue with the all time is you start to get Pele, Maradona etc. picks too, and it becomes to look more like other drafts whereas a current draft is pretty open to a lot of new players being drafted.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2742 on: June 6, 2019, 11:47:26 AM »
I think the issue with having it this year only is that with the one-per-country rule you end up with teams that are potentially half filled with Championship-level players. Having said that, when's the last time we had a 'best players in the world right now' draft?

Offline Betty Blue

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #2743 on: June 6, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
My issue with the all time is you start to get Pele, Maradona etc. picks too, and it becomes to look more like other drafts whereas a current draft is pretty open to a lot of new players being drafted.

I do agree with this. It is a bit dull seeing the likes of Diego and Pele drafted over and over again. One solution would be to do a first round of banned picks. So each of us nominates a player who we don't want to see drafted. Depending on how many join the draft, that would see a about 12-16 obvious picks removed. Could possibly apply that to South Americans only as that might be a bit harsh on Africa, since historically they have far less GOATs.

Example banned players - Pele, Maradona, Messi, Garrincha, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zico, Passarella, R. Carlos, Cafu, Suarez, Romario, Socrates, Kleberson etc
« Last Edit: June 6, 2019, 11:49:33 AM by Betty Blue »

Offline mikey_LFC

• Believer
« Reply #2744 on: June 6, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »
I think the issue with having it this year only is that with the one-per-country rule you end up with teams that are potentially half filled with Championship-level players. Having said that, when's the last time we had a 'best players in the world right now' draft?

Agree with this. Maybe if we go current players we could expand it to 2 or 3 players per country?

Offline Betty Blue

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #2745 on: June 6, 2019, 11:55:10 AM »

I do like the idea of doing a modern players draft in general. But I think Messi is just too good in a pool this limited. The only remotely comparable picks would be Salah and Suarez. Even Neymar isn't available. Whoever picks last is totally screwed.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Believer
« Reply #2746 on: June 6, 2019, 12:03:03 PM »
I just donít believe whoever drafts Messi is going to win unless they put together the best team. Thatís what the snake draft format is for.

As I say though, happy to do an all time or a modern, whichever people prefer. Still both are different without European players.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2019, 12:58:00 PM by mikey_LFC »

Offline Betty Blue

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #2747 on: June 6, 2019, 01:27:51 PM »
Happy to be proven wrong on the modern version. Whatever most people prefer should be the one we do.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2748 on: June 6, 2019, 01:56:39 PM »
Already started homework on both.  Let's flesh it out.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Betty Blue

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #2749 on: June 6, 2019, 02:24:18 PM »
We could also limit the time period. Say 1994-Present Day. That way there can be no Maradona, Pele, Garrincha & co. Still a lot of greats, but helps make sure a few different players get picked.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Believer
« Reply #2750 on: June 6, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »
We could also limit the time period. Say 1994-Present Day. That way there can be no Maradona, Pele, Garrincha & co. Still a lot of greats, but helps make sure a few different players get picked.

Done some research, a modern day draft would have some absolute dogs in defence and midfield for the last few rounds, which is no fun for anyone. Lets just do an all time and keep it easy. How about we split the draft in half, so first 5 rounds are African Cup of Nations and last 6 are Copa America? Or we just go for an easy 11 round draft with 1 per country and at least 5 per tournament as suggested?

Offline Max_powers

• Believer
« Reply #2751 on: June 6, 2019, 03:58:53 PM »
Count me in for whatever draft. As long as its Football or Cricket related.

Offline tubby

• Not on my watch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2752 on: June 6, 2019, 05:58:45 PM »
Count me in for whatever draft.  As long as it's football and not cricket.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2753 on: June 6, 2019, 07:01:34 PM »
Done some research, a modern day draft would have some absolute dogs in defence and midfield for the last few rounds, which is no fun for anyone. Lets just do an all time and keep it easy. How about we split the draft in half, so first 5 rounds are African Cup of Nations and last 6 are Copa America? Or we just go for an easy 11 round draft with 1 per country and at least 5 per tournament as suggested?

Anything else?

I see the point about Pele, Maradona, Messi et al being picked but limiting it to per country and minimum 5 per tournament will avoid teams being filled with Brazilian/Argentine players and will widen the players being picked. Or alternatively have no Brazilian/Argentine players allowed :P

I'm happy with:

Who's in:
Hazell
Trend
Betty
mikey_LFC
Sheer Magentism
tubby
Max_powers
Eel_Lobo
Lastrador
« Last Edit: June 6, 2019, 10:57:19 PM by Foregone Concussion »

Online fucking appalled

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #2754 on: June 6, 2019, 07:09:25 PM »
I believe the average spend will go up £5 ahead and thatís being very conservative. So thatís £185k. Then you have a new 25k who will spend £10 a head thatís £250k. This is without the massively enhanced hospitality areas.

Offline Lastrador

• Believer
  • "Tackling is for losers"
« Reply #2755 on: June 6, 2019, 10:12:49 PM »
Iíll have a go, being South American and all.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Believer
« Reply #2756 on: June 6, 2019, 10:45:28 PM »
Is it all South Americanís or is it all people to play in the Copa America? They mainly overlap but some greats didnít play and sometimes guest countries from outside play like Japan and Qatar this year?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2757 on: June 6, 2019, 10:58:02 PM »
Is it all South Americanís or is it all people to play in the Copa America? They mainly overlap but some greats didnít play and sometimes guest countries from outside play like Japan and Qatar this year?

It's just players to have played in the Copa America. Couldn't bear to leave out all those legendary Qatari players.

Online BIG DICK NICK

• is a cushy number for the Plod who work in this largely crime free suburb. Ate two, Brucey. Thread locker extraordinaire. Might answer to Nick CRoxy. Imaginary cock prognosticator. Has experience of being a bit of a twat. VERY well drilled at the back!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2758 on: June 6, 2019, 11:06:41 PM »

Its just that BB had a list I could start working on right away -- and got a bit jocular..

No Scots.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2759 on: June 7, 2019, 01:37:48 AM »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN: